Foreign Whisky of the Month - 10/2013: Clynelish

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sipping from a sample of Brora 25 (OB) 2008 @ 56.3% and while it's good, I'm not so sure it's exponentially better to me than the standard Clynelish 14. Sure it's a little bit more saturated flavor-wise but it's really highlighting how good the 14 year expression is.

I would really like to try the Clynelish 14 @ cask strength!

Edited by ChainWhip

I have a standing request for a 360deg panoramic shot of Mike's bunker ;-)

Sorry man, I missed this request, otherwise I would have done a quick panoramic and sent it your way :(

Tasted the 14 year last night thanks to a sample trade. A very unique taste the reminded me a lot of the JW Green. Definitely a good one for when the mood strikes.

Tasted the 14 year last night thanks to a sample trade. A very unique taste the reminded me a lot of the JW Green. Definitely a good one for when the mood strikes.

I believe there is. I liked the Clynelish a bit more than the JW Green...which is a good thing because it's cheaper and is still being produced. :)
Edited by tanstaafl2

My memory is Talisker, Linkwood, Caol Ila and Cragganmore. Unless it has changed recently.

And it seems like JW Green isn't quite dead yet. Or at least there is still a lot still hanginig around for now.

Edited by ChainWhip

Working from memory but I believe JW Green is built on the 4 malts listed above, but it actually contains something like 16 malts. styletwise, JWG is supposed to be old Highlands, which Clynelish follows well, as does Springbank. i'd be shocked if JWG didn't contain Clynelish.

I thought it was the Gold label that was known for consuming all the older Clynelish stocks?

I was mistaken ;-)

I'd like to see an OB Clynelish @ cask strength though.

Tell me about it...There's plenty of stuff I would love to check out from K&L, but they won't ship to me no matter how nice I ask. From just the last year, Longrow, Karuizawa, and Mortlach all come to mind.

Tell me about it...There's plenty of stuff I would love to check out from K&L, but they won't ship to me no matter how nice I ask. From just the last year, Longrow, Karuizawa, and Mortlach all come to mind.

I've got an order coming to me with some pre-order stuff in December. I'd be glad to tack it on if you want to split the shipping total cost with me and then pay for the shipping to you. We both win, I save a bit on shipping and I get some rewards dollars. I've been quite the booze mule lately so I'd be happy to do it for you as well if you want. I'd highly recommend the Arran 14 CS. PM me if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody tried one of these yet?

Clynelish 15 / 1997 (IB: Berry's) - Cask # 6474, 56.1%

Thats from total wine, right? I have not had their single cask offerings yet but have been intrigued, especially by the 28 year Bowmore they previously had (and maybe still do?). I currently have a 375 of AD Rattray 17 year Clynelish cask strength, it might be fun to try the regular expression along with your Berrys and my ADR as a sorta vertical tasting.

Better late than never. Plus, I realized this thread did not have a proper photo of the OB 14.

Edited by Virus_Of_Life

Better late than never. Plus, I realized this thread did not have a proper photo of the OB 14.

Open that $#!z up!!!

;)

Open that $#!z up!!!

Like this? The only bad thing about this Clynelish is that it makes me want to start raiding the stash of Old Clynelish.

Edited by Virus_Of_Life

Like this? The only bad thing about this Clynelish is that it makes me want to start raiding the stash of Old Clynelish.

It stands up well in comparison to it's older brethren (though haven't had any '70s distillate) - just need to have it available in a CS version.

It stands up well in comparison to it's older brethren (though haven't had any '70s distillate) - just need to have it available in a CS version.

Both of the mid to late 70's IBs I have tried were quite different from new Clynelish.

Edited by LostBottle

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.