What Beer Are You Drinking? Fall '13

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I guess this is as good a place to start the fall beer thread as any...

Had some delicious Airways Brewing Maylani's Coconut Stout with lunch

Did some very random drinking last night as I try to clear the dying beer fridge. New Belgium Lips of Faith Coconut Curry Hefe was as odd as advertised. Since I'd just had some curry for dinner an hour or so earlier it may not have been the palette surprise it was meant to be. Still ended up drainpouring half of it. Then a delicious Pipeworks Simcoe Ninja IIPA and a good 'nuff Three Floyds Moloko milk stout from last year.

We had a few Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stouts last night before turning our attention to whiskey and baseball. Such great beer. What I'd give for a pint of it in a Yorkshire pub sitting next to a roaring fire.

Cigar City Maduro Brown and OB Ten Fidy. Both perfect for this mfn winterish October eve.

It's been awhile since I've had one, so this Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is tasting extra special tonight. :yum:

Never even heard of that one. How's it differ from the reg Guiness?

Quite different to me, Sean. It's a tad thicker and heavier in it's body, and definitely sweeter. The big difference for me is that is more in line with the American Craft styled stouts that I've tried. Still a bit if that Guinness bitterness, though. I love the stuff.

Some Bourbon County from last year and now on to some KBS,I think I need to slow down on this stuff...... but it's so damned good!:drink:

Had a Chimay blue with dinner, then came home for a movie with the wife and poured a Petrus aged red (wasn't a fan, cloying cherry sweetness) and Sam Adams Imperial White. Now I'm having a Raging Bitch nightcap.

Had a Stone Suede Porter last night. It was okay, but so over the top on the floral notes that I probably won't be running out to get another.

Barrel aged LH Wake Up Dead. Much better than I remember it. Good roasted coffee, malt, and plenty of bourbon character.

I dined at Meat BBQ in Lansing, MI last night. They had Bell's Special Double Cream Stout on tap. I couldn't resist. I learned that beer goes exceptionally well with barbeque.

Just left Fat Heads Brewery's new Taproom at their production facility in Middleburg Heights, OH with a growler of...

SHAKEDOWN STOUT

8% abv 67 ibu 16oz $5.25/GrowlerTOGO

$15/ Sample $1.50 Jet black in color with a

thick creamy head. Piney hops and orange zest

are backed by roasted barley, dark

chocolate and citrusy hops. “Don’t tell me this stout ain’t

got no hops”

This might be the perfect beer for me, roasted malt stout, with IPA-like hops. Yummy.

Picked up a growler of Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout at Whole Foods, today. Shared it with Troyce, who stopped by this afternoon. Wonderful nose that had a nice roasty malt aroma. Smelled like the Gazebo in Bardstown when Barton is cooking. :Yum: Barrel influence is very evident over the palate. Really good. Now, a bottle of Bell's Best Brown Ale. Beer's good, othe label is well done, and scream's Autumn. So, I had to get it! :D

Samuel Smith October Fest on tap at a local bar. I look forward to this every year. One of the better versions of the genre. BTW...It was a costume gig and for you fans of Breaking Bad...I donned my Heisenberg garb and gave out little sacks of blue rock candy, and little vials of sugar ..." a little something to put in your coffee "

I had a Bell's Wheat Love Ale. A high alcohol ale (8%) but it still had that wheat ale aftertaste that I commonly get with wheat ale. I tried it as Bell's flagship wheat ale, Oberon, doesn't give me that aftertaste.

The first store I saw it in wanted $5.00/bottle a different store wanted $2.50/bottle with a large supply so I tried a bottle. Glad I didn't get a 6-pack.

Will

Back to the Sierra Nevada Flipside Red IPA last night while watching baseball. Great stuff but much improved if not consumed straight out of the fridge. My second one, which sat on the counter for fifteen minutes while I drank the first one, was light years better after warming a tiny bit. Improved head, much more pronounced hop bouquet, etc.

I went to a beer festival yesterday and my favourite of the day was a Emelisse White Label 11% Stout that had been on Wild Turkey barrels. This is the best whiskey barreled beer I have ever tasted, the wood, especially the vanillins was very well integrated into the beer. I never heard of Emelisse before yesterday, it's a dutch brewery.

Steffen

Beck's Oktoberfest, Leinie's Oktoberfest, and Sam Adams Oktoberfest last night at our neighborhood "Blocktoberfest".

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!