Old Weller Antique - Bottle Details Over The Years

gblick
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It would seem many of you aremissing the fact that several of these are OWO; Old Weller Orginal, not the OWA.

The OWO was an actual SW product and its quite different from the OWA of today, and was always aged stated.,

Great additions, Randy & Hobie7!

Meruck, I really should've written the title of this thread with 107 in place of the word Antique, but I don't believe anyone here has missed anything. Thanks for pointing that out, though.

Thanks for the extra info, michaelturtle1.

I wonder what year it was that the UPC changed from 88508 to 88076. I have an '86 with 88508 and a '90 with 88076 (will try to post them soon), so the change must've happened sometime between '86 and '90, I'm guessing.

Edited by gblick

I wonder what year it was that the UPC changed from 88508 to 88076. I have an '86 with 88508 and a '90 with 88076 (will try to post them soon), so the change must've happened sometime between '86 and '90, I'm guessing.

Didn't we already determine that this was dependent on the bottle (1L vs 750mL)? Or are you specifically targeting the Louisville bottles with both SW UPCs?

Didn't we already determine that this was dependent on the bottle (1L vs 750mL)? Or are you specifically targeting the Louisville bottles with both SW UPCs?
Edited by gblick

So, in the spirit of the thread,

My best (I hope) bottle of OW- is a very early rendition. Foil cap, cork top OWO. The bottle has the embossment "....aginst federal law to refill.....", gold veined, tax stamp etc.

No. G4839 on the label, back label signed by Jr. so it pretty well dates it self.

Dam near ready to open it now, ..........................post-9455-14489820269071_thumb.jpg

post-9455-14489820269071_thumb.jpg

As a total aside, this thread made me pay closer attention to all of my bottles. I realized that my Centennials from Frankfort are in bottled with a statement that they are intended for export to the UK embossed in the glass on the bottom of the bottle ;)

Does it say "for export?" I have some gold wax ETLs from the early 2000's that are in the same type of UK liquor bottle. I'll have to check, but I thought they were just made in the UK, not destined for the UK.

Edited by smknjoe

Are those UK bottles 750s or 700s? Went to Ireland two years ago and all their bottles were 700 ml.

Here is the bottle that I think he's talking about. I've heard it was used for Centennial and ETL (and maybe others.) I don't think they are for export since several people around Houston have similar bottles that were all bought locally. It does look like the bottles were actually manufactured in the UK though.

post-9262-14489820272846_thumb.jpg

post-9262-14489820272413_thumb.jpg

Yep, Joe is right. They are 750mL, but the bottle was made in the UK, not actually "for export." My mistake.

I don't mean to get all "retentive" about it, but the thread is supposed to be a reference of sorts.

The bottles were the standard Bell's blended Scotch bottle which were used to avoid the cost of a custom design.

The bottles were the standard Bell's blended Scotch bottle which were used to avoid the cost of a custom design.

And THAT is why I love this board!!! Where else would I get that kind of info?

What a lovely bottle there, Meruck, thanks for posting it! Does it by chance have a date (2-digit number) molded into the bottom of the bottle?

What a lovely bottle there, Meruck, thanks for posting it! Does it by chance have a date (2-digit number) molded into the bottom of the bottle?

Sorry it doesn’t, most if not all of the bottles showing the words "Federal Law Prohibits the Resale or Reuse of this Bottle," molded into the glass do not have a date "code" but it was on all bottles made between 1932-1964. There is an adage the "distillers didnt store bottles." Unfortunatly this does not apply to SW, they did. Further SW made somewhat of a habit of storing bottled whiskey for many years this is evidenced by labeled bottling dates and tax strips from years later. The tax strip was only applied on release from the warehouse.

The bottle was certainly made between '32-'64, the label has the SW ©of 1970 and the back label is signed by JR. The foil cap and cork top were discontinued after the sale to Norton - Simon in '72 (cost cutting). and the tax strip is pre-1972 format change, still showing the words US Internal Revenue.

All that tells me it was labeled and released 1970 and 1972. Let’s just say 1971 for an average. If you go back "7 summers" you’re looking at 1964 dis date. Give or take a summer

• 1 month later...

Bottle #1

-375ml.

-Frankfort, KY.

-No. _______ is present, but blank

-Raised 2-digit number on bottom in glass is 03

-Etched codes on back of bottle reads 12270613:30

-UPC code is 88004-02569

-No tax strip, government warning is present

-Label is paper and non-laminated

Bottle #2

-750ml.

-Frankfort, KY.

-No. _______ is present, but blank

-Raised 2-digit number on bottom in glass is 00

-There is no visible code on the side or back of the bottle. There is a faint and illegible code on the bottom of the glass.

-UPC code is 88004-02564

-No tax strip, government warning is present

-Label is paper and non-laminated

8y2ydepu.jpg

e4yhupat.jpg

This thread is growing and have some great bottles!

Here is my contribution. I think this is one of the older bottles that I know of.

Has Weller and Pappy imaged. It shows No. 1941 in front. Bottom of bottle shows 69 I think or maybe 59 not sure.

2y7y5amy.jpg

dypa5e5y.jpg

2edytepu.jpg

ydupu5u5.jpg

umuhy8uq.jpg

This thread is growing and have some great bottles!

Here is my contribution. I think this is one of the older bottles that I know of.

Has Weller and Pappy imaged. It shows No. 1941 in front. Bottom of bottle shows 69 I think or maybe 59 not sure.

Wow! Thanks for sharing. This is a really fun thread to look at!

Tom (Anex),

Judging by what (I think) I've learned about deciphering the etched codes, I'd guess that the 375ml you posted was bottled in 2006. And since the 750ml bottles presumably don't sit empty for long before being used, your 750 there with the 00 on the bottom was probably bottled in 2000 or possibly 2001.

Awesome bottle, Hugh!

a7e5ysub.jpgeza7ybeq.jpgudu5ybe4.jpgu6y2y5y4.jpg

3 more Louisville bottles to add to the mix. The liter is stamped 00 and is not gold vein, the 750 of OWA is stamped 95 and is gold vein. The OWO is stamped '78 and is dual measurement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.