Old Weller Antique - Bottle Details Over The Years

gblick
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I may like the bernheim stuff more than the SW stuff.. I has this awesome cherry thing going on that is just amazing

I found several 03 375s last year as well that I haven't poured from in a while. I think I know what I'm having next.

The Bernheim profile is very distinctive so i think there is a bernheim influence all the way up to 05.. have a 99 on the way and a 00 louisville liter bottle so I am not sure how those will play into this lineup

Edit: Yes I have noticed a color difference between an '05 and '07 actually. I forgot about that.

The Bernheim profile is very distinctive so i think there is a bernheim influence all the way up to 05.. have a 99 on the way and a 00 louisville liter bottle so I am not sure how those will play into this lineup

Gblick brought some 99 or 2000 OWA to a tasting last year that tasted like S-W to me. I only had a small pour of it though.

Edited by smknjoe

• 10 months later...
Could anyone date this bottle?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20643[/ATTACH]

There should be a 2 digit code on the bottom.

I don't have the bottle in hand. Was considering buying a couple but don't want to overpay. Based on what I learned here it 07 juice, which is BT juice right?

Laser coding... Two sets of numbers:

10850708:08

Bottom of bottles also marked with 84 & 03

I don't have the bottle in hand. Was considering buying a couple but don't want to overpay. Based on what I learned here it 07 juice, which is BT juice right?

Laser coding... Two sets of numbers:

10850708:08

Bottom of bottles also marked with 84 & 03

Take a glass or paper cup if you wish, buy a bottle go somewhere have a sip. Realize it is good bourbon and buy the rest unless the price is absolutely outrageous.

Enjoy,

Will

Take a glass or paper cup if you wish, buy a bottle go somewhere have a sip. Realize it is good bourbon and buy the rest unless the price is absolutely outrageous.

Enjoy,

Will

$55 for 375 ml bottle

$55 for 375 ml bottle

Even taking into consideration the current boom/shortage, that's still way overpriced IMHO. I found a few similar bottles three or four years ago. I don't remember exactly what the price was, but I think it was somewhere around $10-$12 a bottle. This is one that might be an oddball. Old label, but newer bottling. Try doing a search here. I'm pretty sure some particulars about this bottle have been discussed before.

Bottle is on the left side of the picture below.

post-3455-14489822250479_thumb.jpg

I've got one of these bottles as well. Paid $12 for it 4yrs ago so they're definitely trying to screw you IMO

$55 for 375 ml bottle

Ouch! $40 too high! I'd pass with an attitude saying something like are you crazy?

thanks for the feedback guys, I can get the regular (current) old weller antique all day long around me for $28/750ml and $49/1.75L. I kind of waned t give the 2007 version a try just to see if there is a big diff in the taste/quality. My research via this thread indicates that 2005 and earlier would be different but 2006-present is all the same juice. Sound right?

• 6 months later...

I've experienced a lot of batch variation with OWA recently. I had a bottle from the spring of 2014 that was harsh and a bottle from the fall of 2014 that was excellent.

You have good eyes. I had to use magnifying glasses and a magnifying glass and a super bright LED flashlight to even detect there was numbers on the bottle. Thanks to google I figured out how to decipher the numbers etched on the bottle itself but what are the numbers on the right hand corner of the label?

OWA

B1500714:524

Pre-2012: K2250910:22

In this example, the K = the bottling line, 225 = the 225th day of the year, 09 = the year bottled, 10:22 = the time bottled in military time.

2012 and on: B1312011:11K

Here, the B = Buffalo Trace, 13 = 2013, 120 = the 120th day of the year, 11:11 = the time bottled in military time, K = the bottling line.

• 2 months later...

New to the forum here, but this thread has me really excited. Here's a handle which I believe to be from 2000.  It has the true paper label with no plastic coating, marked Frankfort with no handwriting in the upper left corner, although there is a "No. ____" space for it. I have another bottle just like it that I've drank about half of, and it has all of those wonderful Bernheim cherry notes. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but at times I swear I get a hint of green apple. What are the chances that this has any SW juice mixed in there?  

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hi Rooskie, welcome to the forum!

I can't answer your question whether there is any SW juice in there.  But I do have a bottle exactly like that open right now, and it's very good.  I  mentioned earlier in this thread about a 2000 handle (1.75L) that tasted a bit off but improved with airtime.  Someone else mentioned earlier in this thread that there can be a lot of variation from bottle to bottle, and that has been my experience also.

Yeah, this bottle's twin (bought at the same place in SE OK, bottom shelf, covered in dust) begins with cherry notes and enough alcohol vapor to tickle your nose. As it gets some air, I start finding all of these wonderful gooey, nougat-y flavors. A really nice bourbon, and quite different from BT's current offering by the same name. 

• 4 months later...

I had seen the information in this thread compiled anywhere and so I took some time to enter it into a spreadsheet. I've sorted the information by the best guess at the bottling year. If you catch any mistakes or would like to add additional details about any bottle, please let me know. 

As you can see, there were a lot of good examples from the 1990s and 2000s, but the 1980s and 1970s are a little scant.

OWA.xlsx

• 2 years later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.