Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's winter so... I feel fortunate to find this to supplement the Mortlach portion of the bunker:

11757559235_79baffaca5_z.jpg

Silver Seal Mortlach 21 #4246 @ 56.3%

Happy New Year!

Edited by ChainWhip

Cutty Sark Prohibition. Big peat oriented flavours, malt driven but with some grain whisky to support. Reminds me of Cutty from a generation ago but amped up, eg. 100 proof. Excellent value.

Gary

Cutty Sark Prohibition. Big peat oriented flavours, malt driven but with some grain whisky to support. Reminds me of Cutty from a generation ago but amped up, eg. 100 proof. Excellent value.

Gary

I'm working my way through a review bottle of that myself. Quite tasty.

I'm working my way through a review bottle of that myself. Quite tasty.

I'm most of the way through my first bottle and am thinking about getting another. I have not seen it yet in WA so I may have to order one in.

It's winter so... I feel fortunate to find this to supplement the Mortlach portion of the bunker:

11757559235_79baffaca5_z.jpg

Silver Seal Mortlach 21 #4246 @ 56.3%

Happy New Year!

Mortlach is the jam - I don't think there is a meatier whisky out there.

I found a 2004 Talisker 25 OB on a shelf at 2004 prices. I know there were 21k bottles produced, but I've heard good things.

Bought a bottle of Compass Box's Great King Street Artist's Blend. Good enough to sip alone and amazing in mixed drinks requiring scotch.

Bought a bottle of Compass Box's Great King Street Artist's Blend. Good enough to sip alone and amazing in mixed drinks requiring scotch.

I thought this one was a solid value as well. Compass Box has a some interesting and tasty entries. A cool artisan kind of brand.

I thought this one was a solid value as well. Compass Box has a some interesting and tasty entries. A cool artisan kind of brand.
This particular bottling reminds me of Oban 14, but perhaps with a bit more citrus and an oilier mouthfeel. I am a huge compass box fan in general, and am glad to see this offering is better than expected.

A cool artisan kind of brand.

Sounds like you're in marketing ;)

GKS is a very well-made blend at a great price. I enjoy the easy-going nature of the Artist's Blend, but the NY Blend brings it to the next level. I think the NY Blend is over-priced, but wholly unique and hard to resist.

GKS is a very well-made blend at a great price. I enjoy the easy-going nature of the Artist's Blend, but the NY Blend brings it to the next level. I think the NY Blend is over-priced, but wholly unique and hard to resist.

I've not had a chance to try the NY blend, but I hear it is good. Have you been able to get bottles of it, or just pours at the local whisky bar?

I use the word artisan to say that they do things a bit outside the norm. Lots of blends without the worry of not being able to pander to the "single malt only" crowd. Maybe not exactly the right term, but at least they don't seem to be afraid to fall on their face with a bad idea.

A late delivery from Santa today along with a few others.

Teeling Whiskey Company Silver Select Irish. 21yo Cooley single malt whiskey finished in Sauternes casks and the 2012 Writer Tears NCF CS that came out at 104pf. Will need a special occasion for these. Maybe a Thursday. After all they're pretty special!

post-8493-14489820324555_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820323868_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820324101_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820324334_thumb.jpg

A late delivery from Santa today along with a few others.

Teeling Whiskey Company Silver Select Irish. 21yo Cooley single malt whiskey finished in Sauternes casks and the 2012 Writer Tears NCF CS that came out at 104pf. Will need a special occasion for these. Maybe a Thursday. After all they're pretty special!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17476[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17477[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17478[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17479[/ATTACH]

Damn Bruce! I'm thinking the next non-bourbon GBS meeting needs to be a your place. :bigeyes:

Damn Bruce! I'm thinking the next non-bourbon GBS meeting needs to be a your place. :bigeyes:

That could be arranged. We can have a "World Wide Whisk(e)y Night"!

1) Bruichladdich Port Charlotte PC10 Tro Na Linntean

2) Ardbeg Uigeadail

3) Laphroaig Cairdeas 2013 (2)

Edited by Old Lamplighter

Benromach 10yr. I recently acquired the Benromach Origins #3, so if this is even close i am a happy man.

Found a random Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist on the shelves today while staking out new whisky/bourbon hunting grounds. It was $124, which is probably more than I would want to pay normally, but anything beyond the standard expressions of Ardbeg + annual release is obscenely hard to find, in my limited experience. In the past year and a half, I have seen Ardbeg 10, Uigeadail, Corryvreckan, Galileo, and Ardbog. Pretty excited.

I picked up TWO life-waters today. Very happy with both.

One is Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength (120 US proof/60% ABV). I last had this about ten years ago when it was full of raisins and butterscotch but had no age statement. Now it's 10 years old and considerably more complex, but I think a little drier with a just a smidge of tartness on the roof of the mouth. An odd placement for a tart note, but it works. (I do note with irony that it carries an age statement now; Glenfarclas is imported by Sazerac.)

The other is Springbank 12 year old Cask Strength (106.2 US proof/53.1% ABV). This is Springbank, only more so. :D So much brine that for a minute I mistook it for peat and thought they might have accidentally bottled Longrow in the wrong bottle. Springbank is my absolute favorite whisky to sip when the weather is chilly, damp, and preferably misty or foggy. This expression is beautifully intense.

I picked up TWO life-waters today. Very happy with both.

One is Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength (120 US proof/60% ABV). I last had this about ten years ago when it was full of raisins and butterscotch but had no age statement. Now it's 10 years old and considerably more complex, but I think a little drier with a just a smidge of tartness on the roof of the mouth. An odd placement for a tart note, but it works. (I do note with irony that it carries an age statement now; Glenfarclas is imported by Sazerac.)

The other is Springbank 12 year old Cask Strength (106.2 US proof/53.1% ABV). This is Springbank, only more so. :D So much brine that for a minute I mistook it for peat and thought they might have accidentally bottled Longrow in the wrong bottle. Springbank is my absolute favorite whisky to sip when the weather is chilly, damp, and preferably misty or foggy. This expression is beautifully intense.

Hmmm, your tasting notes are inspiring me to open the Glenfarclas 105 mini I have as I've never tried anything from them. I may need to decide if a bottle is somewhere in my future...

Thanks for the info!

I personally made an online order this weekend from the UK. Once that arrives I'll post pics, assuming there are no problems along the way. Hoping they will arrive this week!

Got my order in last night and it's a beaut. So far I've only opened the 12 year Burns from Tomatin. Not really sure what I think of it, it was aged entirely in a first fill sherry hogshead (hence the VERY dark color) and it's definitly a sherry bomb, but it has some off notes I'm trying to figure out. I think I found the right amount of water to add last night (it's 59%) but I need to try again. What I do know is that it's nose is very close to maple syrup and it's nearly as thick.

post-9128-14489820345744_thumb.jpg

post-9128-14489820345744_thumb.jpg

Got my order in last night and it's a beaut.

Those vintage Glendronachs are making me drool.:bowdown:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!