Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Glenmorangie Companta ($105). Anyone else had or seen this yet? If so how was it and what was the price? Would love to pick up a second if I wasn't getting gouged on the price. I did pay $125 for Ealanta though, so this may be a steal. But Ealanta was very nice....

Got an email notice that shoppersvineyard in nj just got it in and has it for 99, but they don't ship liquor anymore. According to sv, most retailers have it at 120+. Sounds like you did well. They claim it's a collectable. My son and I are just getting into Glenmorangie's lineup.

You should have hit me up in Nov when I was buying for cost+shipping when my favorite local malt store had the 15% off sale. That made the out the door price of Laph18 roughly $65. I'll make the same offer in 9 months. :)
I absolutely will hit you up on that. You sir, are a great American.

Stopped in a Binny's I pass occasionally on the way to the mall on an impulse. Surprised to see a plentiful supply of Bowmore Devil's Cask and one went home with me.

Picked up a Green Spot today. Wishing it was a Yellow but still, good to see it in KY.

Picked up a Green Spot today. Wishing it was a Yellow but still, good to see it in KY.

About how much if I may ask? My big 3 Irish are TD Phoenix around $50, Redbreast CS around $60, and PJL around $70. Wondering where the Green Spot will fall. I recently got word that it was on its way to NJ.

Glenmorangie Companta ($105). Anyone else had or seen this yet? If so how was it and what was the price? Would love to pick up a second if I wasn't getting gouged on the price. I did pay $125 for Ealanta though, so this may be a steal. But Ealanta was very nice....

Let us know how it is. I've been interested, but never pulled the trigger. Can find it for $26 locally so I really have no good excuse.

Does the bottle you have been passing up have any age date on it? I will have to look at mine to see if there is one as I don't recall seeing one. Not sure when the master blender died or have any idea how much that might impact the whisky. Or if mine is even a new bottle or one that has also been hanging around for awhile too. Maybe David Driscoll can offer some insight but I will probably have to email him directly as I am not sure how often he haunts this board.

A store I frequent has some Couvreur bottles with age statements. "Over 12 Years Old" with "Pale" in the name for about ~$100 and an "Over 14 years old" that is very dark and is in the ~$150 range.

I've been curious about them for a long while, but not quite enough.

Sorrry, I should clarify. I was talking about a bottling date. Michel Couvreur died recently and his son as taken over. Since the blend of 12 to 27yo whisky is the primary characteristic of this particular bottle and he was the main blender I was curious if it was from before or after his death.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/1/24/the-return-of-michel-couvreur.html

I can't find any kind of stamped number or bottle code on mine. But it is a small operation I would guess so maybe that isn't a surprise.

I found this guy hanging out on a shelf I rarely frequent and decided it was time to take him home. Looks like this is the second release. The 4th edition is the only one I've had and I'm a big fan, so I'm looking forward to cracking this soon.

a9ese6ez.jpg

I found this guy hanging out on a shelf I rarely frequent and decided it was time to take him home. Looks like this is the second release. The 4th edition is the only one I've had and I'm a big fan, so I'm looking forward to cracking this soon.

a9ese6ez.jpg

Lucky find! I've got a bottle of the 2012 open right now (I'm seeing it on shelves for $69), and have a bottle of the 2010 in the bunker, though I've had a good bit of another 2010 my friend let me get into. Both are delicious, and I'm sure yours will not disappoint. One great thing about Maryland for scotch drinkers is that everyone is obsessed with bourbon right now, so it's a lot easier to find scotch dusties.

Both the 10 and 12 benefit greatly from a drop of water. Brings out a lot of delicious sour fruit notes that would otherwise be overshadowed by the peat.

Lucky find! I've got a bottle of the 2012 open right now (I'm seeing it on shelves for $69), and have a bottle of the 2010 in the bunker, though I've had a good bit of another 2010 my friend let me get into. Both are delicious, and I'm sure yours will not disappoint. One great thing about Maryland for scotch drinkers is that everyone is obsessed with bourbon right now, so it's a lot easier to find scotch dusties.

Both the 10 and 12 benefit greatly from a drop of water. Brings out a lot of delicious sour fruit notes that would otherwise be overshadowed by the peat.

Maryland also seems to get a ton of compass box. I bought a bottle of the 2010 years after it was released on the shelves around here. Haven't cracked it yet, however.

I found a dusty Bowmore 18. When the clerk took it off the shelf, he literally blew a cloud of dust off the top to read the price. $39. Very cool, brought that bad boy home.

Cheers,

RW

Found a Cask Strength Mac for $65 with a 10% off coupon from the store. I thought it was a great price considering they want $90 across the river at the only other place I've seen it in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently picked up a 2013 Lagavulin 12 year old CS for $85. I've seen the 2012 retail for $100+ at other stores. I found it odd that the CS was cheaper than the standard 16 but not odd enough to prevent me from buying it!

Does the bottle you have been passing up have any age date on it? I will have to look at mine to see if there is one as I don't recall seeing one. Not sure when the master blender died or have any idea how much that might impact the whisky. Or if mine is even a new bottle or one that has also been hanging around for awhile too. Maybe David Driscoll can offer some insight but I will probably have to email him directly as I am not sure how often he haunts this board.

So I finally have an answer for you . . . The store I saw it at says they received these bottles in 2012, but aren't sure of the provenance prior to that. I'm not sure when they had to change the label because of the French aging thing, but these are from before whenever that was.

LxQ6czw.jpg?3

Aberlour A'bunadh batch 45, tasted out of a NEAT glass. It's no substitute for a glencairn, but it really does allow you to nose cask/barrel strength alcohol without the nose burn.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!