Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

None yet - was eying a batch 3 from across the pond though

This could be a good reason to crack my bottle of batch 3 and share.

It seems like a splendid reason. What's the proof on batch 3?

Sign me up! (You don't have to ask twice)

Wow. I have read that these are highly collectible due to their novelty. I've never flipped a bottle of whisky before, but I think I would have a hard time not flipping those to finance other, more drinkable, whisky purchases.

I've never had the opportunity to try it but, from what I've heard, paint thinner is probably a better pour! :lol:

I've never had the opportunity to try it but, from what I've heard, paint thinner is probably a better pour! :lol:

I'm willing to try it at least once.

What amazes me about it is that if you research Loch Dhu online, there are quite a few people who swear they love the stuff and were sad to see it go (see notes on thewhiskyexchange for example). Whether these are trolls or not its hard to say! I've got two bottles saved for buddies of mine and I plan to crack one myself. I paid $10 bucks a piece at the store, which is well worth it to me for entertainment value.

What amazes me about it is that if you research Loch Dhu online, there are quite a few people who swear they love the stuff and were sad to see it go (see notes on thewhiskyexchange for example). Whether these are trolls or not its hard to say! I've got two bottles saved for buddies of mine and I plan to crack one myself. I paid $10 bucks a piece at the store, which is well worth it to me for entertainment value.
That's pretty amazing considering street price varies between $350-$450. I definitely congratulate you on your find.

That's pretty amazing considering street price varies between $350-$450. I definitely congratulate you on your find.

They are only 200 mL bottles - so probably not worth nearly that.

They are only 200 mL bottles - so probably not worth nearly that.
Haha, should have noticed. Regardless, great find. Definitely interested in your tasting notes though.

I couldn't pass up a Lag 16 at $69.97 as it seems to be $80-$90+ everywhere else around here

I picked up a couple more Balvenie 17 Rum Cask (2008 release) from my favorite malt store. Apparently they'd just been buried in the store room since then and just hit the shelves in January.

I picked up a couple more Balvenie 17 Rum Cask (2008 release) from my favorite malt store. Apparently they'd just been buried in the store room since then and just hit the shelves in January.

Thoughts on the 17 year rum? I bought one on a whim years ago before I knew much about whisky and have yet to crack it. I would love to find more of them but around here they are LOOOONG gone.

Thoughts on the 17 year rum? I bought one on a whim years ago before I knew much about whisky and have yet to crack it. I would love to find more of them but around here they are LOOOONG gone.

I haven't opened mine yet. I traded the initial one that I bought so I went back and bought the other two. There's plenty of reading about it out there on teh nets.

Ran across a Balvenie 12yr Double Wood for $42. Based on typical prices I see around here it's like they were giving the stuff away. Couldn't pass it up!

Ran across a Balvenie 12yr Double Wood for $42. Based on typical prices I see around here it's like they were giving the stuff away. Couldn't pass it up!

Got a bit carried away with the dark side whilst on a trip to Nashville for an Angels Envy cask strength event.

Picked up a couple of Arran 1996 single casks, one bourbon and one sherry, that seemed to have decent reviews. Also got an Exclusive Malt 18yo Mortlach that was a bit of an impulse buy. Didn't seem extremely dark which makes me think the cask is well used or not sherry but couldn't find much detail about it. They also had the Longmorn 28yo from the latest Exclusive Malts Batch #3 but it was just a wee bit out of my price range for a blind impulse buy.

post-8493-14489820469559_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820470256_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820469788_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820470038_thumb.jpg

One more I forgot about that was another complete impulse buy based on a recent post from David D. in the Spirits Journal.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/1/24/the-return-of-michel-couvreur.html

Wasn't something I expedited to see in a Nashville suburb.

post-8493-14489820472327_thumb.jpg

Whether it is any good remains to be seen. Since his stock in trade was his blending ability it remains to be seen if the son can carry the tradition forward. Not that I have any benchmark to judge by having never had it before.

One more I forgot about that was another complete impulse buy based on a recent post from David D. in the Spirits Journal.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/1/24/the-return-of-michel-couvreur.html

Wasn't something I expedited to see in a Nashville suburb.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17739[/ATTACH]

Whether it is any good remains to be seen. Since his stock in trade was his blending ability it remains to be seen if the son can carry the tradition forward. Not that I have any benchmark to judge by having never had it before.

I've been passing this odd-duck bottle up for the better part of a year, though it catches my eye every time I see it. Definitely interested in your thoughts on it.

Back to what I bought . . . It appears someone raided my Laphroaig 18 honey hole. There was only one bottle left, so I grabbed that @ $79. It's an amazing pour at that price, but the "new and improved" price range of $120-$150 is cost-prohibitive for me.

Glenmorangie Companta ($105). Anyone else had or seen this yet? If so how was it and what was the price? Would love to pick up a second if I wasn't getting gouged on the price. I did pay $125 for Ealanta though, so this may be a steal. But Ealanta was very nice....

I've been passing this odd-duck bottle up for the better part of a year, though it catches my eye every time I see it. Definitely interested in your thoughts on it.

Back to what I bought . . . It appears someone raided my Laphroaig 18 honey hole. There was only one bottle left, so I grabbed that @ $79. It's an amazing pour at that price, but the "new and improved" price range of $120-$150 is cost-prohibitive for me.

Does the bottle you have been passing up have any age date on it? I will have to look at mine to see if there is one as I don't recall seeing one. Not sure when the master blender died or have any idea how much that might impact the whisky. Or if mine is even a new bottle or one that has also been hanging around for awhile too. Maybe David Driscoll can offer some insight but I will probably have to email him directly as I am not sure how often he haunts this board.

You should have hit me up in Nov when I was buying for cost+shipping when my favorite local malt store had the 15% off sale. That made the out the door price of Laph18 roughly $65. I'll make the same offer in 9 months. :)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!