Currently Available Age-Stated Bourbons

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good evening all,

I ran across (but did not pick up) a couple bottles of 90 proof Heaven Hill bourbon with a stated age of 6 years old in Richmond, VA.

shoulda grabbed one. It's $8.99 here, and about one of the best bottom shelfers you will find. And youll enjoy it even more whan you remember you paid less than $10 for it. It's just the 90 proof version of the HH BIB 6 year, another home run at $10-11

I suspected as much..unfortunately I asked the guy working there what he thought and he said it was not as good. I'd just picked up a couple bottles of 4 yr Heaven Hill BiB and decided to pass. Think I'm going to regret this..

Unfortunately he was misinformed . . . unfortunate but too often true. Nod, smile and move is all we can do.

I suspected as much..unfortunately I asked the guy working there what he thought and he said it was not as good. I'd just picked up a couple bottles of 4 yr Heaven Hill BiB and decided to pass. Think I'm going to regret this..

of the 3 90-100 proof HH labeled products we get here, the 4 year is the least enticing. still, a steal at $9, but Id rather have the green 90 or the white 100.

no worries, go back and get it.

I wasnt sure HH distributed the HH name in VA....

I've seen quite a bit up there. Thing is I've returned home to NC. I am going to call a friend to hopefully have him swing by and pick it up for me if it is still there. Interestingly even though it is a controlled state I see a lot more types/sizes of bourbon in Richmond. I did buy two bottles of age stated VOB 86 proof and one bottle of Old Grandad 114 proof. I'm certainly learning more and more but fear I've missed out on a "golden period" for bourbon.

Edited by ncjazcat

I am surprised no one has mentioned all of the Pappy's and at least the ER17 and Saz18. While they are only available for a short time each year, they are regular products and are always age stated the same. Sure it is a limited release, but they are consistent product labels unlike the 4R limited editions or things like GTS.

The OP asked to limit the list to general releases and to exclude annuals.

While it's true all the Van Winkle offerings are age stated I'm not surprised no one has suggested them because why list it if you can't get it.

The OP asked to limit the list to general releases and to exclude annuals.

Actually, the OP said "I didn't include any special releases - only regular releases." Technically Pappys are not "special releases" they are just on a limited regular release cycle. Three years ago, before the pappy-craze, you could get most if not all the pappys year-round if you were willing to shop around. No one really paid attention to the year of the release, but might have known what the release schedule was since it was often allocated and stores sold out. Back then I would assume that most of us would have included Pappys in the "regular release" category. In the last 3-4 years, nothing in the release schedule has changed, just its actual availability.

I can see the BTAC as being a slightly different animal since there is variability in some of the items and could qualify as a "special release" although nothing on the label changes with the Saz18 and ER17.

Special release, annual release, limited release, general release, regular release -- they are all relative and imprecise descriptions. Either way, we are both being pedantic.

At the risk of pouring gas over the fire... I'd say there's only one person being pedantic here.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the confusion, Ben. By regular I meant general, everyday release like EW or JBW. Age statements seem to be on their way to becoming a rarity on our everyday pours and I thought it might be a good idea to catalog those that are still available to us.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

List updated to include HH 6yr 90.

Baker’s 7-year

Beam’s Choice 5-year

Big House 6-year

Booker’s

Buck Bourbon 8-year

Bulleit 10-year

Eagle Rare 10-year Single Barrel

Elijah Craig 12-year

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Ezra Brooks 101 7-year

Ezra Brooks 12-year Single Barrel

Fighting Cock 6-year

Heaven Hill 6-year 90°

Heaven Hill 6-year BIB

Henry McKenna 10-year Single Barrel

Jeffers Creek 6-year

Jim Beam Black 8-year

Jim Beam Distiller’s Series 7-year

Jim Beam Signature Craft 12-Year

Kirkland (Costco) Bourbon 7-year

Knob Creek 9-year

Knob Creek Single Barrel 9-year

Old Charter 8-year

Old Medley 12-year

Old Taylor 6-year

Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12-year

Virgin Bourbon 7-year

Weller 12-year

Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 10-year

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but what about Beam White 7 year old? Is it still available? They list it on their website. Also I was under the impression that the Beam Distiller's Series 7/90 was a one-off.

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but what about Beam White 7 year old? Is it still available? They list it on their website. Also I was under the impression that the Beam Distiller's Series 7/90 was a one-off.

Old Crow 3yr

Old Crow Reserve 4yr

Both have age statements in bold print on thier back labels

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

vob 6 yr is history? I just bought a bottle around here and was thinking of going back for more, I passed on a 1.75 also ...$20 Go back and get it? Also how about Old Ezra 7 yr. old

Beware the neck label. They'll soon just say "6," which is no age statement at all.

How about the HH David Nicholson 7-Year?

Chris, Not only does this have small distribution but I recall the age statement was dropped around 2006. Futher disqualifying it is that the label continues to deceive with "distilled at DSP-KY 16", as recent as non dusty bottles on the shelf at Liquor World in Bardstown last fall. There has been other posts here about this continuing label anomaly or bullsh*t.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?15299-David-Nicholson-BIB

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?3986-Dusty-ol-Bottles-25th-May/page9&p=66564&highlight=nicholson#post66564

Old Crow 3yr

Old Crow Reserve 4yr

Both have age statements in bold print on thier back labels

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Didn't include those since, being under 4 years, the OC has to bear the statement, and being a 4yr goes without saying. Still, the OCR gets points for being honest. What say you all? Should it be included?

Didn't include those since, being under 4 years, the OC has to bear the statement, and being a 4yr goes without saying. Still, the OCR gets points for being honest. What say you all? Should it be included?

Sorry m64

I guess I forgot the criteria as I read the prevoius 60+ post before I elected the OCs

Various Beam products are like this. White Label, Old Overholt, presumably Beam Rye. Old Grand Dad? I think it's worth mentioning that Beam has typically been pretty good about age stating things, although the Basil Hayden change and Knob Creek Rye show them moving the other direction. Wonder what the new ownership will do?

I vote list 'em. Give Beam points for absolute age transparency.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.