Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed on a few local Redbreast 21s this weekend with prices ranging from $280-$310.

That is kinda sad but not unexpected these days I suppose. Rumor is my favorite mule just got one for me for less than $200 not counting tax. That is one rumor I hope is true!

Hope to have my hands on it by the weekend. Just have to decide if I am going to share... :skep:

Can you take pics of the bottle/label next time?

I'll be back there in a couple of weeks, I should have time to swing by and snap a few pics.

Passed up lots of expensive, but fun, bottles at Legacy Spirits in Vancouver, BC, Including a large selection of SMWS bottles. Though they did have a Jameson tasting going on right when we got there and I chatted up the rep a bit. She ended up giving me her card... not sure about that.

post-9128-14489820607695_thumb.jpg

post-9128-14489820607234_thumb.jpg

Passed up lots of expensive, but fun, bottles at Legacy Spirits in Vancouver, BC, Including a large selection of SMWS bottles.

Are those SMWS bottles available for purchase by non SMWS members?

If they are, that is a change to their normal policy. The only other place in Canada those are available is in Alberta and there they require you to buy a membership.

If they are, that is a change to their normal policy. The only other place in Canada those are available is in Alberta and there they require you to buy a membership.

A few retail stores in the US have started 'selecting' their own SMWS barrels, whatever that means. Binny's has I believe a Port Charlotte and Julio's has a Caol Ila.

You could be correct, I only saw the bottles and price tags, nothing about them being limited to members but since I was not going to buy I did not look closely. I recently purchased a SMWS bottle from K&L so I just assumed others could sell as well. If this was members only stock that would explain the selection.

You could be correct, I only saw the bottles and price tags, nothing about them being limited to members but since I was not going to buy I did not look closely. I recently purchased a SMWS bottle from K&L so I just assumed others could sell as well. If this was members only stock that would explain the selection.

If you see any 132.x's please let me know...

I recently purchased a SMWS bottle from K&L so I just assumed others could sell as well. If this was members only stock that would explain the selection.

I believe the USA is the only market where non-members can purchase smws. The society's best days (quality of bottlings) may have been before LVMH ownership (Glenmorangie/Ardbeg).

My wife gave me the Binny's SMWS the other day. Its a nice peated dram from Bruichlladich.

Came across some Benriach 10yr in the square cardboard box @$35. High volume store, was kind of surprised to see it there.

Passed on many fun bottles but most notably was a Bruichladdich cask strength specs release Calvados finished 22 year old and an AD Rattray Aberlour 20 yo. I really wanted both but I was already at my weight limit for the checked bag :(

Passed up lots of expensive, but fun, bottles at Legacy Spirits in Vancouver, BC, Including a large selection of SMWS bottles. Though they did have a Jameson tasting going on right when we got there and I chatted up the rep a bit. She ended up giving me her card... not sure about that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17966[/ATTACH]

I'm glad that young lady didn't get in the way of your rare Jameson bottle pic. ahem.

I'm glad that young lady didn't get in the way of your rare Jameson bottle pic. ahem.

She was the brand rep... and yes, I got her card ;)

Passed on the Caol Ila Stitchell Reserve. Anybody love that one?

Indeed I do! A bit pricey, especially for a NAS bottle, but rather like the Talisker 175th this one seems to benefit from the deft hand of the master distiller who has access to excellent barrels. Though unpeated there is a delightful trace of peat in the background and I find the base Caol Ila whiskey to be excellent. It also has the added benefit of being high proof at 119.2. I hope to put it up soon against a bottle of the 2012 14yo unpeated Caol Ila I recently acquired.

Indeed I do! A bit pricey, especially for a NAS bottle, but rather like the Talisker 175th this one seems to benefit from the deft hand of the master distiller who has access to excellent barrels. Though unpeated there is a delightful trace of peat in the background and I find the base Caol Ila whiskey to be excellent. It also has the added benefit of being high proof at 119.2. I hope to put it up soon against a bottle of the 2012 14yo unpeated Caol Ila I recently acquired.

Quite a few good options: Bruichladdich Black Art 3, Bruichladdich 17, Bruichladdich 12, a few Arran single casks that I need to learn more about prior to spending $100 ish on, an absolute ton of Green Spot, Glenmorangie 18, Glenfiddich Age of Discovery, and finally, my proudest pass: Compass Box The General. The store I was at made it easy by charging $450.

She was the brand rep... and yes, I got her card ;)

Less texting...more pouring...

Ha. I've tried to talk my wife into joining the forum and posting tasting notes since she does a much better job of describing the flavors, but so far no dice. And she was there with me during that tasting, I told her she needs to pick up an Irish accent like the brand rep :)

Meh, tell her to do one better and just pick up the brand rep. Everyone wins!

For all you single drunks, picking up the brand rep can pay big dividends in more ways than one. Many years ago, my brother picked up a brand rep on Mackinac Island after we did a Chicago/Mackinac sailboat race and at the end of the weekend sailed home with a bottle of Louis XIII Congac.

For all you single drunks, picking up the brand rep can pay big dividends in more ways than one. Many years ago, my brother picked up a brand rep on Mackinac Island after we did a Chicago/Mackinac sailboat race and at the end of the weekend sailed home with a bottle of Louis XIII Congac.

No doubt; I've been to a few tastings where I'd come home several of the opened bottles (they can't take them back) and more than a few glasses.

Passed up on Octomore 6.1 for ~$168 after tax today. Thats a decent price, great for WA state, but I'm in my April no buy month :(

Meh, tell her to do one better and just pick up the brand rep. Everyone wins!

So many dirty thoughts...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!