Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A few interesting bottles, but mostly standard stuff. I did see that Compass Box The General has started to come down in price from $450 to a much more reasonable $299. Lagavulin 16 @ $49, and Laphroaig 18 @ $69.

Edit: Also passed up an Octomore Orpheus @ $175. I enjoy every Octomore release I've had, but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger on something that young.

Edited by garbanzobean

Forgot to add: passed up Brora 35 @ $499. It's tempting to buy this one and try to sell it at auction later to finance a year's worth of purchases, but I would just end up drinking it . . .

A few interesting bottles, but mostly standard stuff. I did see that Compass Box The General has started to come down in price from $450 to a much more reasonable $299. Lagavulin 16 @ $49, and Laphroaig 18 @ $69.

Edit: Also passed up an Octomore Orpheus @ $175. I enjoy every Octomore release I've had, but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger on something that young.

the 2.2 is the best of the Octomores I have had to date

Forgot to add: passed up Brora 35 @ $499. It's tempting to buy this one and try to sell it at auction later to finance a year's worth of purchases, but I would just end up drinking it . . .

so... thats a steal - 2013 or 2013?

Went hunting at the "honey hole" I stumbled upon a couple of weeks ago. I passed up a Longrow 15 not thinking much of it, but I can't find much of anything online about a 15 year bottling. Anyone heard of this?

Also passed on a Glenmo 10 with a paper wrapping on the seal with Gov warning & no tax strip. I figured this was a somewhat older bottling given that the current one has a foil seal.

(Second edit - I keep forgetting what I saw!) Also passed on a Balvenie 17 Mediera Cask

I did pick up a Yamakazi 18 super cheap though.

Edited by jvd99

Went hunting at the "honey hole" I stumbled upon a couple of weeks ago. I passed up a Longrow 15 not thinking much of it, but I can't find much of anything online about a 15 year bottling. Anyone heard of this?

Are you sure it wasn't a Longmorn 15?

If it was a Longmorn 15, you should grab it anyway. I think that one is long gone.

If it was a Longmorn 15, you should grab it anyway. I think that one is long gone.

I'm very curious now. I'll swing by this afternoon.

It was the Longmorn 15 after all and there are 2 sitting on the shelf. As pointed out by Sutton, looks like this expression was discontinued a while back. I'll be picking one up soon.

Passed on a Murray McDavid 13yo Bunnahabhain 1997 from a few years ago that had been finished in Chateau Lafite cask. Had a nice color and I can probably get it at a bit of a discount. Tempted but wasn't sure. The few reviews I found seemed positive. Might still go back for it. Only downside was 92 proof. Would have been nice to find it at CS.

post-8493-14489821072618_thumb.jpg

Don't suppose anybody has tried this?

Kilchoman Loch Gorm 2014, Samaroli 1980 Caol Ila, and Bunnahabhain Toiteach were all considered and passed on today. Ralfy seems to enjoy the Loch Gorm, and I've heard good things about the Toiteach, so I will probably grab both of those eventually. The Caol Ila I am probably going to pass on, due to price ($359) combined with anemic abv (46%).

I'm not a scotch drinker, but I saw, and passed on a Laphroaig 25 year at the store yesterday.

Joe

so... thats a steal - 2013 or 2013?
I stopped in today and confirmed that this is the 2013 release. There are 3-4 of these behind glass at the store, priced at $499. I'm sorely tempted given MSRP, but I have concerns about paying $500 for a bottle of whisky. I was hoping to find an older peated whisky to open up later this year for an extremely special occasion, but I have concerns about Brora's overall flavor profile. It's probably silly, but I have trouble shaking the Brora/Clynelish association, and Clynelish is not really my favorite malt these days. Any thoughts from those better versed in old and extremely exclusive malts, preferably Brora? I realize this is a rare opportunity, but I've never regretted NOT buying whisky (when it wasn't Islay, anyway).

Also, I'm not willing to ship a bottle that expensive, but if anyone lives fairly close and wants either the location or would like me to hold a bottle for the next time they are in the MD area, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Passed on Talisker 25 the other day. It's probably pretty good, but not $300 good.

Edited by Wayne81

Went to Coscto and passed on this again.

post-11296-1448982115861_thumb.jpg

Dropped by a local shop and was super tempted by the decanter, but ultimately passed.

post-11296-14489821159045_thumb.jpg

post-11296-1448982115861_thumb.jpg

post-11296-14489821159045_thumb.jpg

I passed up another Bowmore Devil's Casks for $99, since I just got one. Bowmore will be releasing another edition, so hopefully the hype will go away and people can open the bottles they bought.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw several Ealanta's on the shelf today. Was a bit surprised to still see them. I recall a few posts here recently from members who had not been able to find it.

Considered getting a back up but at $124.99 decided to pass. Something else caught my eye.

Yesterday was eye-opening for me. A fellow on MM&F group in FB announced he had extra bottles of Ardbeg Day 2012 and SMWS 33.120 (8 yr old Ardbeg) for sale or trade. Given that we only live about 20-30 minutes away from each other, I PMed him, hoping to do a bottle swap (which as far as I am aware, is 100% legal in Maryland/anywhere). He was extremely polite, and informed me that he already had an offer of $500 for both, but would consider a slighly lower offer from me due to the lack of shipping and/or customs issues. I thanked him for getting back to me and said I didn't think I could beat that offer. At this point it's important I note that I'm not criticizing the seller, or anyone really. He was extremely polite and as personable as one can be on the internet. What this experience made me realize is just how lucky I am for living in an area where special edition scotches (even Islays) just don't fly off the shelves like their counterparts in the bourbon world do. Basically anything scotch costing $80 or more is guaranteed to sit on shelves for weeks, if not months or years. I see IBs of tons of great living and dead distilleries for mostly reasonable prices (even Port Ellen occasionally). I could walk into a store right now and buy Black, White and Gold Bowmore, or pretty much any of the Diageo annual releases. I can even afford to wait for all of that stuff to go on sale, because I know it's not going anywhere.

So while I did miss out getting to try Ardbeg Day (wasn't really super interested in the SMWS release), I am grateful today for having access to good non-limited edition bourbon as well as all the scotchy scotch I want.

Yesterday was eye-opening for me. A fellow on MM&F group in FB announced he had extra bottles of Ardbeg Day 2012 and SMWS 33.120 (8 yr old Ardbeg) for sale or trade. Given that we only live about 20-30 minutes away from each other, I PMed him, hoping to do a bottle swap (which as far as I am aware, is 100% legal in Maryland/anywhere). He was extremely polite, and informed me that he already had an offer of $500 for both, but would consider a slighly lower offer from me due to the lack of shipping and/or customs issues. I thanked him for getting back to me and said I didn't think I could beat that offer. At this point it's important I note that I'm not criticizing the seller, or anyone really. He was extremely polite and as personable as one can be on the internet. What this experience made me realize is just how lucky I am for living in an area where special edition scotches (even Islays) just don't fly off the shelves like their counterparts in the bourbon world do. Basically anything scotch costing $80 or more is guaranteed to sit on shelves for weeks, if not months or years. I see IBs of tons of great living and dead distilleries for mostly reasonable prices (even Port Ellen occasionally). I could walk into a store right now and buy Black, White and Gold Bowmore, or pretty much any of the Diageo annual releases. I can even afford to wait for all of that stuff to go on sale, because I know it's not going anywhere.

So while I did miss out getting to try Ardbeg Day (wasn't really super interested in the SMWS release), I am grateful today for having access to good non-limited edition bourbon as well as all the scotchy scotch I want.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!