Old Blowhard

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Now *that* is a timely report. I've got you-know-who holding an OBH for me...but this weekend I think I can make that same amount go much, much farther at you-know-where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say I thought the barterhouse was pretty decent for the price...

Your money will definitely go further elsewhere. Good luck out there this weekend

I'm grateful that Diageo is rolling out the OBP. I think its the most excited thing to happen to the bourbon industry in quite sometime. Who knows... Maybe it will get Heaven Hill to roll out some of their ancient stock?

I absolutely love Old Blowhard. I'm bunkering several cases. It has a gorgeous nose... Taste of rich oak, toffee, vanilla and faint citrus. A lot of bakery shop notes. I find it to be extremely balanced, and for a 26 year old whiskey... The wood is in check IMO. I've compared it to PHC 27 year, and I would rate the OBH a few points higher than it. I think OBH is a solid 92 point pour.

I enjoyed Barterhouse, but not to the same degree. The nose and finish are nice. Very little wood for a 20 year. I found it to be slightly lacking on the palate. I wish they would have bottled it at a higher proof, but all-in-all... I found it to be a gentlemanly pour. Dare I say smooth...? I put down a couple of bottles of it to revisit over the years, but Blowhard is the clear winner IMO. YMMV... Cheers!

Thanks for the notes. My thought about the same. Would be good to continue to hear what people think of each with tasting notes.

I have finished half bottle of each already.

I will admit to being woo'ed by the initial marketing crap...but regardless of the legitimacy of the story, I really enjoy the barterhouse. I'm through half my first bottle, have one unopened in my bar and one is at the store waiting for me to pick up. Sure the finish is a little short, but I like the lower proof...it makes more a more enjoyable sippable drink to share with non-bourbon snob friends. While I appreciate a WLW at +/- 60%...a lot of my friends don't like. Barterhouse is tasty...screw the story, I'm not a reseller, I'm an enjoyer

Lol.

[ATTACH]18078[/ATTACH]

[10 char]

That's a cool mirror on that shelf. It makes it look like there is a whole shelf full of Barterhouse. I know it's not because that bottle is a very limited release.

Smoke and mirrors yes....but it's still not a bad glass of bourbon and to me, that is all that matters.

Fairly self-evident, the last bottle has a white background, the others all have another bottle behind them.

For those around TPS, they have both the Barterhouse and Old Blowhard in the tasting cabinet. Passed since i had other goodies lined up, and as a warning...it was in the premium section so not the $2 or $4 variety of sample.

Didn't think it'd landed in KY yet, but maybe i missed the launch/sale.

We can sit and debate the merits of marketing and transparency all day long, but the stuff that's in the Barterhouse bottle is, in my opinion, really good bourbon and a damn good value for its age. I don't care what story they invent for it, what the packaging looks like, or how "limited" it truly is. All I can go on is what ends up in my glass, and every pour I've had of the Barterhouse thus far has been really good. Looking forward to trying Old Blowhard if I can find some around these parts...

That's the spirit joboyd, I don't rely on the opinion of others to tell me what I like either.

Amen...I like the stuff and will keep drinking it. Maybe if a few more people poopoo their purchases, I'll be able to snag a few discounted bottles.

For those around TPS, they have both the Barterhouse and Old Blowhard in the tasting cabinet. Passed since i had other goodies lined up, and as a warning...it was in the premium section so not the $2 or $4 variety of sample.

Didn't think it'd landed in KY yet, but maybe i missed the launch/sale.

Landed 2 weeks ago. Not much to go around. Definitely not just sitting on the shelf.

Landed 2 weeks ago. Not much to go around. Definitely not just sitting on the shelf.

Was told notionally that Washington state's entire allocation was to go to restaurants. One local bourbon monger moved enough Diageo product to get his hands on a few bottles. He alerted his faithful (and I know at least one more posts here) and by the time I left his store the next morning he only had one left. I think it is a fine bourbon and given the age the price isn't unreasonable. I paid the same for ECSB21 and I don't think much of it. Neither Barterhouse or Blowhard really show ill effects of age so Diageo seems to have done a good job of picking barrels.

If I was being told the truth (always a big if with distributors), 150 cases of Barterhouse and 100ish of blowhard for the entire state of KY.

If they are tying allotments to bulleit, then that makes sense. Bulleit isn't a huge mover around here.

I don't agree that there have been no ill effects of age. The nose on Barterhouse is one dimensional (all wood) and it's very simple on the palate. I wouldn't say it's bad by any stretch but it's not one I would buy again at that price.

Judging by this thread, I would say these are pretty divisive and one should try before buying, given the cost involved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Judging by this thread, I would say these are pretty divisive and one should try before buying, given the cost involved.

Agreed.

This actually remind me of 2007-2009 when Parker's Heritage Collection came out with the first one, barrel proof or cask strength. I passed on it even through to the third release on the Golden Anniversary. We had the PVW 15 for cheaper or PVW20. Granted the story behind the PHC was a lot more ideal with personally selected barrels and something most would appreciate.

What would Barterhouse and Old Blowhard be 3, 5, or 7 years from now?

The most important thing is always how do you like it and how do you feel drinking it.

I'm typically a bit of a termite like Halifax but didn't particularly enjoy the Blowhard. It's interesting that it can carry so much oak and not go bitter or tannin prickly but I couldn't taste through the dense wood to get to the flavors Halifax talks about. It's not bad and really has nothing distasteful in the mix so if your palate can find the complexity under the Oak it will probably be a rewarding pour for you.

IMHO the Barterhouse's best feature is it's finish. Long layered complex and satisfying the finish is really a delight. If there were more flavors in the front of the palate this one would be truly special. Vatting anyone?

Edited by sailor22

• 2 weeks later...

In case any of you MD/DC area folks are interested, Total Wine appears to have these in stock for about $5 over MSRP.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.