Old Blowhard

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm in MN and don't think we will be seeing either of these in the state. What kind of price should I expect to pay for these bottles on the secondary market. Thnx

I'm in MN and don't think we will be seeing either of these in the state. What kind of price should I expect to pay for these bottles on the secondary market. Thnx

This isn't the best question to be asking around here.

The Bourbon Info Exchange group on Facebook has a plethora of delightful conspiracy theorists insisting that EC21, JPS 21/25/30, Old Blowhard, Barterhouse, and the 2013 Michter's 20 releases are all secretly wheaters, even in the face of conflicting evidence. My assumption is that the folks on BIE either REALLY REALLY want to believe that the money they spent on secondary market purchases was justified due to an illuminati-level conspiracy to sell off old S-W, or they are possibly equating mature spirit flavors and heavy oak influence to wheated bourbon...

That's the problem with the short cut to connoisseurship. It leaves a person not knowing what the hell they're talking about.

There's a shortcut? Silly me, so much wasted time.

Right. I don't think there is any company out there that is dumb enough to not disclose that their product is S-W if it in fact is.

I don't know that necessarily I agree with this statement. People are out there building brands. Diageo is using SW to hype up their own brand, so if somebody else starts using it they'd a) give Diageo free publicity, and B) detract from their own name.

Most people buying whiskey think the stuff in the bottle was made by the company whose name is on the label. If they buy a Jefferson's and they love it, they're going to think "I love Jefferson's whiskey." That's what they're going for.

That's the problem with the short cut to connoisseurship. It leaves a person not knowing what the hell they're talking about.

And anyway, if it was S-W, there's no way they would keep it a secret.

I thought the shortcut to connoisseur-ship was to drink a lot of bourbon. Or is that alcoholism? So forgetful these days . . .

That's the long cut. The short cut is to Google "best bourbon" get some and impress your friends.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if these have hot Colorado? I'll be out there in a few weeks and it would make my trip If i was able to bring a couple of these home with me. Any advice on a good liquor store to check on would be appreciated.

Does anyone know if these have hot Colorado? I'll be out there in a few weeks and it would make my trip If i was able to bring a couple of these home with me. Any advice on a good liquor store to check on would be appreciated.

They have hit Colorado. Most stores I've seen have had them in stock (they don't seem to have been moving that fast from what I've seen). At least thru this past wknd in Denver. Argonaut and Apple Jack would be the first places I'd try. As you get closer to your trip feel free to PM me and I'll let you know if I've seen them around anywhere closer to that time.

Here is a theory on the 40k bottle numbers we are seeing. They is for all 3 releases. The orphan barrel stickers with fake hand numbering are the exact Same (except number) on both the blowhard and Barterhouse.

They bottled and labeled all at once.

I opened my Barterhouse last night and was really impressed. This is a really good bourbon, lots of depth, character, and flavor. Finding a 20-year-old product for under $75 is not exactly an easy task these days, and though I've just had one night with it thus far, this was a solid purchase. I'll get to more detailed notes at some point, but wanted to share that I really enjoy it. I did not purchase Old Blowhard so I can't comment on that.

For the record, I have bottle #625 of Barterhouse.

They have hit Colorado. Most stores I've seen have had them in stock (they don't seem to have been moving that fast from what I've seen). At least thru this past wknd in Denver. Argonaut and Apple Jack would be the first places I'd try. As you get closer to your trip feel free to PM me and I'll let you know if I've seen them around anywhere closer to that time.

Thanks allot Horn. I'll do that. Based on a little research it seems like I may have a shot at the Barterhouse but the Blowhard might be a tough find.

Well I got roped into buying Barterhouse by a really kind store owner who offered me 20% off MSRP and 2 free tumblers after I gave him the non-sanitized version of the Orphan Barrel project's history. Hopefully the crow I am currently eating washes down gracefully with old, oaky bourbon. The bottle I bought was in the 22 thousands, but he had 5 others that were in the 30 thousands, and one that was in the low/mid 44 thousands. 44,381 or something like that. Stupid Diageo. Stupid garbanzobean.

Well I got roped into buying Barterhouse by a really kind store owner who offered me 20% off MSRP and 2 free tumblers after I gave him the non-sanitized version of the Orphan Barrel project's history. Hopefully the crow I am currently eating washes down gracefully with old, oaky bourbon. The bottle I bought was in the 22 thousands, but he had 5 others that were in the 30 thousands, and one that was in the low/mid 44 thousands. 44,381 or something like that. Stupid Diageo. Stupid garbanzobean.

I'm struggling to understand the outright hatred for these orphan barrel bourbons. Yeah, I get the issue with the guy basically saying 'We're gonna get paid' and some of the sketchiness regarding the origin of the product and it's marketing, but we have a chance to buy a 20yr old bourbon for $75 and a 26yr for $150. When I look at the price of some other bourbons out there this doesn't seem like a bad deal. Relatively speaking I'm new to the higher-than-mid-shelf bourbon buying, so cut me a bit of slack, but these products have received an awful lot of negativity. Maybe I'm naive or am I missing something? Help me out here.

And to qualify, I did purchase a barterhouse. The old blowhard just hits me in the pocketbook a little too much right now. If I had the extra money, I'd gladly purchase it so that I could try it.

My understanding of the Old Charter Mashbill is that it is what Buffalo Trace's Mashbill #1 originated from, so I can't imagine disliking this bourbon given that it is known for aging well. I'm excited to drink the bourbon, just not so pleased with some of Diageo's recent behavior.

my question wasn't directed at you specifically, but more the whole situation, sorry if it came off wrong. I do understand the stance regarding Diageo's behavior and I certainly don't like being taken advantage of either. I guess I look at it as an opportunity to take advantage of getting a hopefully good bourbon at what seems to me to be a fair price given the market. If anything it seems like we could be paying more for these, so in a way I feel like the joke is on him, especially if the bourbon is good/great. I may feel differently about later releases, but these specifically don't rub me the wrong way. I just wondered if I was missing something else.
I didn't take your question personally at all, but I did take it to be at least partially directed at me, and I do think it's a reasonable question to ask. I'd rather be accused of repeating myself than making unjustifiably harsh comments about a company or product, so I figured I'd at least provide you with my answer. In my short time communicating with other bourbon anoraks, I have noticed that a significant and vocal minority tend to react poorly to any sort of heavily marketed special release. Bourbon is big business right now, so you see a lot of marketing types taking the helm of what even 5-6 years ago appears to have been a very close-knit and down to earth community, and marketing types are not generally appreciated by the down to earth types. Nobody likes to see his or her personal favorite bourbon go the way of the dodo due to lack of sales, but too much popularity can have basically the same effect: watering down of quality to meet demand, or severe allocation and shortage. Success/trendiness is a double-edged sword, after all.

Just my two cents. And probably worth about half that.

horn it's not hatred on my part, just old fashioned indifference. I don't care for over aged Bourbon (I remember when they couldn't sell the stuff and blended it away in the general brands) and I think the current fashion for old whisky is just that, fashion, though I am glad such things are available for those who want to try them. Decades ago you couldn't get 20 year old Bourbon without a passport and a plane ticket to the Orient.

I do think it ironic if not downright amusing that Bourbon the Master Distillers called undrinkable back then is now being debuted as something really special and worth big bucks. To me it's the same old Emperor in new clothes.

I've tasted Barterhouse twice now. If you don't like the wood that comes with mature bourbon stay away. I for one think its a nice fairly well balanced mature bourbon. In West Texas getting it for <$70 cash price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do think it ironic if not downright amusing that Bourbon the Master Distillers called undrinkable back then is now being debuted as something really special and worth big bucks. To me it's the same old Emperor in new clothes.
Well I do occasionally eat food spicy enough to make me pour buckets of sweat, and I like some seriously bitter drinks. So all the occasional consumption of delicious tree bark bourbon shows is a consistent lack of common sense when it comes to choosing what I put in my mouth.

Separating hatred for a bourbon and a hatred for the corporate conglomerate producing/marketing the bourbon are two separate things. My brother, sister and I killed off a bottle of Barterhouse over the course of a few days last week while helping my parents move. I didn't take any notes, but I was underwhelmed and would classify the bourbon as good, but far from great. No hatred for the juice per se as it's a decent value ($69 in my parts) for a 20 yr old. Beyond the second bottle I picked up simultaneously with the departed bottle, I will not purchase any more. As stated in my earlier posts in this thread, I take issue with Diageo, it's misleading marketing, unabashed statements from its CEO about profiteering mentioned by others, and its general lack of transparency about the number of bottles and source of the juice. For those reasons, my money will go in another direction rather than on any more "Orphan Barrels".

horn it's not hatred on my part, just old fashioned indifference. I don't care for over aged Bourbon (I remember when they couldn't sell the stuff and blended it away in the general brands) and I think the current fashion for old whisky is just that, fashion, though I am glad such things are available for those who want to try them. Decades ago you couldn't get 20 year old Bourbon without a passport and a plane ticket to the Orient.

Squire - I really agree with you on this point. Because Scotch makes such a big deal over old age stated bottles the general public relates that to quality/taste, when in fact when it comes to really good Bourbon this is not generally true.

Picked up a bottle of the Barterhouse and cracked it when I got home. Nose is very woody. On the palate it's sweeter but a little thin. Finish is bitter but not unpleasant. Reminds me more of IW Harper 15 y/o than OCPR.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I had asked my whiskey mongers if they were going to get any of the Orphan barrel bottles and they both told me that their distributor told them none were going to GA. but that I could get it in Chatt Tn.

I didn't mention that it was available in Atlanta. From the reviews I've read so far I don't think it is worthwhile to take the 20 mile drive north to pick up a bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.