Old Blowhard

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tasted the whiskeys (and a third tentatively called Rhetoric) with the primary Diageo people in their NYC corporate office in January, and they were pretty clear about a few things: that they believe Old Blowhard was from the Old Berheim distillery and Barterhouse was from the new one. I won't self promote my blog by including the link, but I explain it there along with the mashbill, which would suggest it was intended for Old Charter. (Diageo would not confirm this for me.)

Also, the general gist I have gotten from Diageo is that, while there maybe plenty of whiskey barrels being aged at S-W, very little of the stocks remaining were distilled there.

Finally, while I usually agree with Geoff in his reviews of products, we disagree on this one. I feel Old Blowhard is a few years past its prime and shows too much wood influence for proper balance and prefer Barterhouse for this reason. Other people who I have shared my sample with have agreed with me, including my managing editor Lew Bryson. Have I had woodier whiskeys? Absolutely (the new JPS 25 comes to mind). But still.

Old bourbons are very polarizing, so I suggest you all try it yourselves and form your own opinions.

Oh for Heaven's sake John, no one could fault you for listing your blog plus that saves me having to look it up and at my age one doesn't wish to waste any time.

And thanks for the clarifying follow up post.

Edited by squire

Yes. Thank you John for providing information that we would not be able to get if you weren't on this site. (Or had a blog, or edited a magazine). We appreciate it

Putting on my Carnac the Magnificent hat, I predict dozens of pages of "Is it or isn't it SW juice?" threads.

Old Bernheim, at least at the end, made one bourbon which it sold as I. W. Harper and Old Charter. The mashbill was 80% corn.

"Believe" is a load of crap. The name of the distillery that produced it would be on the barrel head unless Diageo sanded it off themselves.

But this is a lot more than they've revealed before, so that's something.

I've asked Diageo to be as transparent as possible. (Something they are not used to.) I also asked for a bottle count of each release--something which they wouldn't provide.

I'm only passing on to you what they told me, and have no means of personally validating. I'm just the messenger. ;)

...I won't self promote my blog by including the link... .

P.S. Well, I'll be damned if I didn't have a link to the WA website in my signature. (Someone sent me a PM reminding me.) That's a default I set up years ago and completely forgot about it. Sorry about that. Wasn't trying to make a liar out of myself. Okay, back to the bourbon...

I'm looking forward to trying Barterhouse. Maybe I'm a fool, but I'm hoping it will taste like OCPR.

Josh, I myself have a soft spot for OC products, but the BHC preceded my interest in bourbon and the OCPR has obviously not been available. Given the state of bourbon and the increased prices, would you pay for OCPR what they will charge for Barterhouse?

Josh, I myself have a soft spot for OC products, but the BHC preceded my interest in bourbon and the OCPR has obviously not been available. Given the state of bourbon and the increased prices, would you pay for OCPR what they will charge for Barterhouse?

I would pay that in a heartbeat.

I would pay that in a heartbeat.

Interesting. I really thought about staying away from this release for a number of reasons, mainly the MSRP. Coloring my thoughts though was ignorance as to the quality of the OCPR.

If we want to try it do we have much choice? Especially if we were not able to get OCPR back in the day. And as I recall OCPR was 13yo so this will be a older and thus a presumably a bit different.

Whether that means better remains to be seen!

If we want to try it do we have much choice? Especially if we were not able to get OCPR back in the day. And as I recall OCPR was 13yo so this will be a older and thus a presumably a bit different.

Whether that means better remains to be seen!

Alas, another hit to my wallet. I thought I could just put my head in the sand and ignore this release, but it sounds like I might have to take the plunge. You're right, we don't have much choice.

Eh, I'm willing to take the chance and skip it.

I'm sure ill get to try it at the gazebo.

Indeed you may. But if you find you like it you may well not get a chance to then buy it! At least not at retail...

Unfortunately such is the way of the current whiskey world.

Just got a clarification from Diageo and have updated our Old Blowhard and Barterhouse review.

"Although stored at Stizel-Weller, Barterhouse whiskey was actually distilled at the New Bernheim Distillery (post 1992) and Old Blowhard was distilled at the Old Bernheim Distillery (pre-1992, originally Belmont & Astor)."

Indeed you may. But if you find you like it you may well not get a chance to then buy it! At least not at retail...

Unfortunately such is the way of the current whiskey world.

Oh well. I'm willing to take that risk. Can't buy everything.

Oh well. I'm willing to take that risk. Can't buy everything.

Don't say that too loudly!!!!

:shocked:

I'm looking forward to trying Barterhouse. Maybe I'm a fool, but I'm hoping it will taste like OCPR.

Hope springs eternal.

Have the opportunity to go to the Orphan Barrel tasting here but it's on March 3rd and my next baby is scheduled to deliver on 3/6 so may have to decline.

I've asked Diageo to be as transparent as possible. (Something they are not used to.) I also asked for a bottle count of each release--something which they wouldn't provide.

Pretty sure the Old Blowhard is about 200 cases but dont have an exact number.

Pretty sure the Old Blowhard is about 200 cases but dont have an exact number.

"Case" used to be a universal term of 12 750 bottles but now high end products have 6,4, 3 and sometimes just one bottle in them.

Hopefully the number is 2400 bottles. If it's half of that or less, prepare for a shit show trying to find it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.