BOTM 2/14: Smooth Ambler Old Scout

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I absolutely love reading these posts. Thanks for supporting us, folks!
Well you are quite open about your products.You are now distilling and aging your own product and what you already have on the shelf is at a great price what's not to like?

My brother-in-law visiting from Cincinnati brought me a bottle of the 8yr cask strength rye selected by TPS and it's fantastic! I like it better than the Willet 4yr rye which I'm pretty fond of.

I decided to purchase the 10yr cask strength bourbon from Astor and have my eyes peeled for other options out there.

What bourbon is coming off the still? I thought I remember it being a wheated recipe but I could be having a not so senior moment.. My first taste was the single barrel from Kenwood which is hands down an amazing pour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Smooth Ambler spirit is wheated bourbon. The oldest of which is probably turning 4 years old over the next few months. The first release should be in the 18-24 month window, I think.

Cool, I didn't know that. So, that's going to be their standard mashbill? Do they have other mashbills too? Do I need to shut up and read the OP?

They've got a lot of "one-off" experiments aging in addition to what will be their flagship bourbon. The recipe for yearling, their 2ish-year-old young bourbon has been a slightly different wheated bourbon than what they're aging long-term. Yearling has a ton of malted barley, compared to most bourbons. The future release will have more corn, less wheat and barley.

I've mentioned elsewhere, but they have a 50/50 whiskey that is wheat and rye, a wheat whiskey, a triple-malt whiskey with corn, malted rye, malted wheat, and malted barley, and some other things as well.

And they invited us to stop by for a sample. I may need to plan an early summer fly fishing trip to the area.

Squire, I am certain that John Little will be thrilled to share samples of anything they've got in the rickhouse. The Greenbrier Valley is a beautiful destination, our state would love to have you.

It is a very nice area. I've visited before and always planned to return when I had more time to stay awhile.

Floating the New for smallies is exactly what I had in mind. And you got whisky? Country road take me home.

You guys need to ship more to Louisville, I'd buy some if I saw it again.

I'll bring you something in Bardstown.

So, I broke down and ordered the 8-year Cask strength DrinkupNY bottle today. won't get it until I see my sister-in-law from Tennessee next month (had to ship it to her).

Hope it's worth the wait...

Okay, I can chime in here now. Thanks to the generosity of a fellow SB member, I received a nice sample of Smooth Ambler Old Scout SB, barrel # 92, 122.8 proof. It was just a bit hot/off for me a first, but I added a couple of ice cubes and let it sit for a few minutes. Presto! That did the trick. Very nice pour. Slightly woody/smokey, with that burnt pecan pie/chocolate chip cookie taste that I like so well. Pretty darned good IMHO. I just might have to hunt down a bottle or two now. :rolleyes:

Joe

I've been a huge fan of the Old Scout since I tried a 6yo Batch 6 back in 2012. The 7yo out now is excellent, and the 11yo and 14yo Very Old Scouts earned spots on my top shelf. Old Scout is something I'll almost always grab a bottle of when I see it as it's become one of my favorite Saturday after-dinner drinks, or to give away as a great gift, as I always name it if asked for a recommendation.

SmoothAmbler, absolutely LOVE your stuff...and I'm lucky enough to have friends in places who've sent me some of your BP picks...the Kenwood 8 year old being a particular standout. Going to grab a few from Astor this weekend I've reserved too. As a BP fan, I'm stoked to see you guys doing more of this! Its absolutely delicious, as is the 10 year old, 6 and 7 that I have open along side it!

Opened my first bottle of Smooth Ambler tonight. First pour of the week. I have tried Smooth Ambler (10 year) which I liked but this is my first bottle.

Info - Standard 6-year bottling, 99 proof. Batch 11, bottled 9-21-12, bottled by JES. Purchased at Crown Liquors.

I have read reviews calling other batches of this age as "sweet-spicy." That seems like an accurate description. It drinks a little hotter, spicier than its proof. I notice a slight caramel hint in the nose. The entry is spicy hot with a cinnamon note. This is followed by apple and cherry flavors.

It is always fun trying to guess the actual distiller. I suspect LDI. However, the taste resembles CEHT Small Batch and EWSB (amped up), both of which I enjoy. Back to the "sweet-spicy" description. It is pretty accurate. It is one of my favorite experiences with bourbon...sweet entry, spicy aftertaste. It has a young taste to it but with plenty of enjoyable flavors. I like it, as I did the 10-year. I look forward to exploring more Smooth Ambler NDP products as well as their distillate when it is released.

I know there are several other Indy guys in the forum. I would be interested in your thoughts on this bottling, if you have tried it. As well as the recently received 8-year barrel proof offering from Crown.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Just picked up a SAOS 7 year rye, batch 14. Probably won't open it for a while (got way too much stuff open right now), but I can't wait to try it!

I stopped in the one place I saw it a few months ago and it was all gone. Have to keep an eye out next time and be ready.

I stopped in the one place I saw it a few months ago and it was all gone. Have to keep an eye out next time and be ready.

if ever I went to E-town, I may. but, I never go that direction.

Take a trip to E'town and see Eric.

BTW Steve, I'm sure that 4I also meant to say Thank You for the tip...;)

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.