BOTM 2/14: Smooth Ambler Old Scout

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got to try the 7yo rye and bourbon as well as the 10yo bourbon and the Yearling earlier this week (Not to mention the vodka, gin and barrel aged gin).

The Yearling was young but interesting enough to buy a 375ml. The batch I had was 1y, 7m old. The higher content of barley malt may explain the interesting grain forward nose but it was very pleasant to drink. The two 7yo whiskies were pleasant enough but the 10yo (at 99 proof I believe?) was excellent and also a buy. Although surprisingly the top choice of the evening was the K&L Faultline bourbon, reportedly a blend of 7 and 10yo bourbon (presumably both were the high rye mashbill) put together by Smooth Ambler and bottled in the same bottles as Old Scout.

I will watch for their newer wheated bourbon mashbill when it has reached maturity as a result.

I have a bottle of the 7yr rye that is very good. The only one of their bourbons I've seen here is the 7yr and I intend to give it a whirl unless I happen to find one of the older bottles. I've been very impressed with everything that's been said by and about these guys and look forward to trying more of their stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Got to try the 7yo rye and bourbon as well as the 10yo bourbon and the Yearling earlier this week (Not to mention the vodka, gin and barrel aged gin).

The Yearling was young but interesting enough to buy a 375ml. The batch I had was 1y, 7m old. The higher content of barley malt may explain the interesting grain forward nose but it was very pleasant to drink. The two 7yo whiskies were pleasant enough but the 10yo (at 99 proof I believe?) was excellent and also a buy. Although surprisingly the top choice of the evening was the K&L Faultline bourbon, reportedly a blend of 7 and 10yo bourbon (presumably both were the high rye mashbill) put together by Smooth Ambler and bottled in the same bottles as Old Scout.

I will watch for their newer wheated bourbon mashbill when it has reached maturity as a result.

Yeti - how are the 5, 6, and 7 year bourbons? I think they are all 99 to 100 proof. I see them for sale online and am tempted to pull the trigger.

Sorry to leave this hanging. The standard Old Scout is rather good, and an easy recommendation around $30. I've gotten spoiled drinking lots of full strength single barrel stuff, but the 6-7 year standard bottle is very nice. I've described it as a point between FRSB and WT101. Don't know if anyone agrees with me, but you know what they say opinions are like :D

Saw and bought my first bottle of SAOS 7 yr bourbon yesterday. Opened the bottle for a nitecap pour, wow! I really, really like this.

Stayed up an hour longer than I had planned and had another pour.

Smooth, not hot, but with taste of spice.

Now along with High West I have two NDP's that I will support with my wallet. Just hoping my dealer can get more in on a regular basis.

Sorry to leave this hanging. The standard Old Scout is rather good, and an easy recommendation around $30. I've gotten spoiled drinking lots of full strength single barrel stuff, but the 6-7 year standard bottle is very nice. I've described it as a point between FRSB and WT101. Don't know if anyone agrees with me, but you know what they say opinions are like :D

Had my first pour of an Old Scout 7 year 99 proof. I can see some similarity to FRSB and WT101, but the FRSB seems "brighter" to me on the palate, while there was a sandalwood note on the nose of the OS as well as a darker component, like a roasted pecan or hazelnut (maybe where it leans to the WT101?). At times it seemed a bit older with a lower rye percentage, like something between a McKenna 10 yr BIB or Ezra 12 yr SB. With a couple drops of water came some sweetness, but I slightly preferred it as is at the bottling strength.

Just the first pour (well, OK, there was a second one ... :rolleyes:) but my initial impressions are very positive - will be looking for more of their bottlings.

The 10 is 100 proof, and Faultline is 7 year high rye, 10 year lower rye.

Thanks for the clarification. Whatever they used it really worked well to me.

i'll buy one when i see it on the shelf. guy here told me where i can find some, now I just gotta find time to get to it. hopefully it leans more toward the WT101 profile than the FRSB...

Found it more like the WT101 than the FRSB. Now anything 4R is my favorite and I've just rediscovered the joy of WT101. I'd put this right btween the two and I love em all.

Just tried my second SA. The first was a SA 6-Year standard bottle (99 proof) which I really like. The second is a SA 8-Year BP store selection which is awesome! I am sold on SA. I have always like Willett WFE offerings and continue to. I would put SA on par with the Willett WFE. Both are doing great things. I look forward to their future offerings of their own distillate. Great job John! Also, good job to the Crown folks who selected this barrel.

I just had a sample of the 8 yr barrel proof old scout tonight. Wow was that great! I really wish I could get that here in MN. He had the 100 proof for sale, but I passed for tonight. I'll go back when my whiskey allowance refills. Actually I poured a second taste before he could take the bottle away from me. It was a personal bottle of a local liquor store owner.

If anyone wants to pick one of these up for me, I'd be grateful.

Where in Indiana did you pick that up? A friend is heading back home to somewhere near Goshen next week. Maybe she can pick me up a bottle if its near.

Just tried my second SA. The first was a SA 6-Year standard bottle (99 proof) which I really like. The second is a SA 8-Year BP store selection which is awesome! I am sold on SA. I have always like Willett WFE offerings and continue to. I would put SA on par with the Willett WFE. Both are doing great things. I look forward to their future offerings of their own distillate. Great job John! Also, good job to the Crown folks who selected this barrel.

OS has been my favorite for many years now. I first tried it in a bar in Vegas. Our first pour was Pappy 20 - great stuff. But then we decided to try something new. The description of OS6 was intriguing and from that point on I was hooked. Wow! I don't miss not being able to find Pappy anymore. I started my search on a trip up through TN and KY. Found it in both states. Now it is available in GA and I'm stocking up on 10YO whenever I can. One of these days I'll find a Very Old Scout but until then I'll just dream. Also the BP is on my shopping list. Keep up the good work guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on the look out since all the favorable comments here. Today I found a bottle of 8 year old 108.4 proof bourbon. I really like it a lot. I may go back and buy another. I like it more than some of the FR store selections around the same proof and price.

If you like OS, I'd suggest you buy more while you can get it. I liked the one bottle I tried but it has not been available locally since. But that might just be the way it goes in OH.

I think this was a store selected barrel. They had a good number on the shelf. Who knows how long they will last. Still, that's good advice.

I think this was a store selected barrel. They had a good number on the shelf. Who knows how long they will last. Still, that's good advice.

Yeah, it is a store select. They have several different store selections on the shelf. The Smooth Ambler might be the best.

• 4 months later...

Hello, Just now finished reading this thread.. This weekend I plan to go buy a couple bottles of SAOS.. I thought my regular go to store had the 7 year on hand.. I am looking forward to trying this.. I will report back.. Cheers. Creggor

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a bottle of the 7 year on the way home last night. This might be my new favorite bourbon under $50. Really looking forward to trying the 10 year I have stashed away.

FWIW, I've noticed an increase in # of SAOS 7yr bottles on shelves AND in the # of local WashDC stores that have it readily available. Used to be I'd see one bottle hovering on the "special bourbons" part of the shelf with the other we-have-only-one-bottle offerings or had to ask if they could get some for me.

• 7 months later...

I came across a store selection of Old Scout 8 year from NASA Liquors in Houston on NASA Parkway about a month ago.I just finished the bottle this past weekend. I think it is one of the best bourbons I have ever had. I think they have the store selection of the Rye in as well now. Going to have to back and get one of each.

• 1 year later...

Just finished a SAOS7 and will say it was one of the best bourbon I've had to date. Full of interesting flavors. Hits my palate just right. Have a few in the bunker including some cask strengths I'm looking forward to cracking. Highly recommended for those of you who have not tried it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So if I understand the lineup..

Old Scout = 99 proof, "high rye" aged 7+ years with age statement on the bottle.

Old Scout Single Barrel = same as above but at barrel strength.

Old Scout Ten = "low rye" aged 10 (or more) years but bottle is age stated as 10 years.

Old Scout Ten is being discontinued, is that correct?

From their own description of Single Barrell they state: "We pick barrels that are different from our stock selection to create unique experiences with each purchase."  I know they are sourced ("scouted") barrells, but is it a fair statement to say that the standard Old Scout is more consistent than the Single Barrell?

Has anyone done a SBS of an Old Scout Ten and an Old Scout 10?

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

So if I understand the lineup..

Old Scout = 99 proof, "high rye" aged 7+ years with age statement on the bottle.

Old Scout Single Barrel = same as above but at barrel strength.

Old Scout Ten = "low rye" aged 10 (or more) years but bottle is age stated as 10 years.

Old Scout Ten is being discontinued, is that correct?

From their own description of Single Barrell they state: "We pick barrels that are different from our stock selection to create unique experiences with each purchase."  I know they are sourced ("scouted") barrells, but is it a fair statement to say that the standard Old Scout is more consistent than the Single Barrell?

Has anyone done a SBS of an Old Scout Ten and an Old Scout 10?

The single barrels can be either mash bill. The only way to find out which is to ask the store (if they know) or Smooth Ambler if you have the barrel #.

All but the single barrels are being suspended.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.