BOTM 2/14: Smooth Ambler Old Scout

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've spent quite a bit of time lately also trying to figure out the MGP mashes that SA is using.  I think we may be talking about two different single barrel ideas above.  There's the standard bottling (with the "Single Barrel" labeled in a slight diagonal across the bottle) that I think is always high rye (and, yes, as Clueby mentioned, I think basically a single barrel of Old Scout at barrel proof).  I don't think these are being suspended; only the regular Old Scout and Old Scout TEN iterations.  And then there are the store pick single barrels of Old Scout that amg is alluding to (I think) that could be either mash bill (that aren't a store pick of the Single Barrel, but a store pick of the Old Scout or Old Scout TEN).  It's definitely very confusing, especially for a company so transparent.

Edited by dcbt

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

I've spent quite a bit of time lately also trying to figure out the MGP mashes that SA is using.  I think we may be talking about two different single barrel ideas above.  There's the standard bottling (with the "Single Barrel" labeled in a slight diagonal across the bottle) that I think is always high rye (and, yes, as Clueby mentioned, I think basically a single barrel of Old Scout at barrel proof).  I don't think these are being suspended; only the regular Old Scout and Old Scout TEN iterations.  And then there are the store pick single barrels of Old Scout that amg is alluding to (I think) that could be either mash bill (that aren't a store pick of the Single Barrel, but a store pick of the Old Scout or Old Scout TEN).  It's definitely very confusing, especially for a company so transparent.

AFAIK the store picks are just store picks of the Single Barrel product. They're always cask strength, and they're varying ages and potentially different mash bills. I have a non-store pick Single Barrel right now that I have been told by the store is the low rye mash bill, but I haven't tried to verify that claim with Smooth Ambler yet.

This is where I throw my hands up and stop buying SA products because they have now become too confusing to know what I'm even drinking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2016 at 4:48 PM, dcbt said:

This is where I throw my hands up and stop buying SA products because they have now become too confusing to know what I'm even drinking.

Yeah, but,

the juice is so good!

All of the 10 and 11 year "single barrel" bottles that have been released this summer have been amazing to me.  Super high quality for the price.

It's my understanding that they are two different mash bills and I would say that the taste represents that.

On 11/13/2016 at 1:22 PM, 0895 said:

Yeah, but,

the juice is so good!

All of the 10 and 11 year "single barrel" bottles that have been released this summer have been amazing to me.  Super high quality for the price.

It's my understanding that they are two different mash bills and I would say that the taste represents that.

But the problem is that when you buy a single barrel bottle you have no idea which mash bill you are buying. Not saying that a bottle of either could be good...but I'd kinda like to know. I'm almost always a bigger fan of a lower rye bill as I prefer sweeter to spicy.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.