BOTM 2/14: Smooth Ambler Old Scout

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Josh, I may have missed in earlier discussion...but have they been aging the sourced product on site since they opened? If they are I could see how climate would result in a different spin on the MGPI product that has popped up elsewhere.

They have stock on site in Maxwelton, but they have much, much more in Indiana. The first few years the spirit got a substantial "finishing" in WV, but their sales growth means the barrels will be spending less time in the on-deck circle. Their growth is ridiculous, especially overseas. I think they did as much business in November, 2013 as they did in all of 2010. And it gets bigger every month.

Doesn't relate to the Old Scout line directly, but those keeping an eye on the Smooth Ambler distilled products should know that they're moving from a Mon-Fri single shift schedule to 24/7 distillation soon. It's still distant, but they should have plenty of product at the end of the decade

Doesn't relate to the Old Scout line directly, but those keeping an eye on the Smooth Ambler distilled products should know that they're moving from a Mon-Fri single shift schedule to 24/7 distillation soon.

Now that is a leap of faith from an owner. Not a trivial thing from both overhead cost as well as Quality Control. One thing to have 1 or 2 people be highly consistent and another to replicate those efforts.

I enjoy the product they're putting out. Have had a few bottles of the Rye and have some 11yr VOS I need to crack open soon.

I have no idea how any of these entrepreneurs sleep at night. Best efforts, blood, sweat and tears and it all comes down to something that eventually comes out of the barrel many years down the road. Could taste like the tears of a unicorn, or more like canned unicorn meat.

Other excellent private selections...the Kenwood Liquors 8 year (seriously delicious. Have one open now)

Me too on the now and yes it is. As were some of your KBF gazebo table stalwarts, which for some odd reason, just a bit hazier in my mind ;).

A year ago, a retailer had OS10 for $55 a bottle, but wasn't moving enough of them, so he closed them out at $40. That's when curiosity got the better of me, and I pulled the trigger and purchased a bottle. I'm glad I took the chance, because the OS10 was just bursting with bright, bold flavors. Prior to drinking this bourbon, I was skeptical of SA products, just because of all the mixed reviews about LDI/MGPI bourbon. Next time I won't be so hesitant to pick up another one of their products.

A year ago, a retailer had OS10 for $55 a bottle, but wasn't moving enough of them, so he closed them out....

Somebody is buying SA OS. I stopped to get another bottle last night and the shelf was empty.

Somebody is buying SA OS. I stopped to get another bottle last night and the shelf was empty.

with Willett's seeming inability to bottle/put anything out now, combined with SA's newfound high reputation, Im thinking WFE may soon find itself in a bit of a pickle with regards to significant competition in the sourced whiskey market that is actually good to excellent in quality.

bring on the competition!

The Kenwood 8yr SA was my first taste of their products and I was immediately impressed...so impressed that I bought about 60 bottles of the barrel and shipped them to fellow bourbon brothers around the country for tasting. Since then we have picked a 7, 8, and 10yr for our group and I helped Kenwood select a new 8yr CS Rye and a 7yr Bourbon. Good stuff they're doing there at Smooth Ambler! :cool:

Sorry folks, I've been traveling for two days without much access to internet. We have been to Vendome to look at a new still and some equipment for our expansion.

We have tried to do two things 1. To bring great products to the market and 2. To do that with honesty and integrity. From reading these posts, it sounds like we are doing a good job at both. And I'm honored.

If anyone ever has specific questions, please ask. I'll do my best to answer them.

Oh yeah....Yeti....that's a lot of bottles. You might wanna hide that from your wife.

Oh yeah....Yeti....that's a lot of bottles. You might wanna hide that from your wife.

They come, they go.

...the whiskey.

You should see his 4 roses stash :eek:

If anyone ever has specific questions, please ask. I'll do my best to answer them.

Well, Mr. Ambler, since you offered, I do have a question. How do I get on your board of unpaid taste consultants? My hours are flexible.

Well, Mr. Ambler, since you offered, I do have a question. How do I get on your board of unpaid taste consultants? My hours are flexible.

It's a very complicated process. Basically, you show up. We have a drink. That's it really. :)

I've been curious about this brand for some time and because of this thread I decided to take the plunge and pick up a bottle of the 10 yr.

Based on all these excellent comments, picked up a bottle of the 6-year, 99 proof today. Almost bought the rye, too, but had to pick up a bottle of Blanton's for a gift.

Looking forward to sampling tonight. Will come back with first impressions.

OK - good call! Enjoying a nice pour of this right now. Lately, I normally drink most everything less than 100 proof neat. Started that way with this one it is was good. But, with just a bit of water, the flavors really open up, especially the juicy fruit flavors. Yum.

If there's anyone here in the NYC area, the 10YO single barrel bourbon and rye that Mr. Little selected for Astor Wines are phenomenal. The clerk let me try both, but I could only get one; I went in looking for a bourbon, so that's what I left with. But really, either one will impress.

My views on the SA 7yr are above somewhere. Yeti's pictures encouraged me to get a 10yr. I like the 7 and love the 10. My bottle of SA rye is unopened so far.

I've been seeing this on the shelves near where I am pretty regularly. I've been tempted. But then again, it was on the shelf with a lot of other new stuff -- stuff that I have frankly been afraid to even touch. On the same shelf with a lot of other NDP bourbon and, even worse, a lot of "craft" (barely aged) rotgut (sorry to offend any small distillers). So I have been guilty of judging SA by the neighborhood it lives in. I've been seeing some buzz on here about it, and when I saw it was BOTM, I picked up a bottle.

I bought the SA OS 7yo, bottled 12/2013. The flavor seemed to me like a bolder Four Roses Single Barrel, but then, the finish! It goes straight to your upper palate and lingers deliciously forever. This is a very rare thing indeed. Not many bourbons have a finish that can hold a candle to this. I don't know if it's because my palate is "tuned in" to bourbon this week or what. I need to compare this side-by-side with some others, and I'll probably do that soon and post back, but I was surprised, even with the buzz on here, about how truly delicious this whiskey is.

Thanks to all who have pointed this out, and thanks to SA for their wonderful selections! Cheers to starting a whiskey company the right way -- by selling a quality product, establishing a benchmark, and taking the time for stocks to mature before releasing them out to the market.

For anyone in Louisville who has seen this, would you mind telling me:

where you saw it

what age it was

what recipe it was

what proof it was

cost per bottle

Id love to find a bottle of the 75% corn recipe and would love to know the above info on some.

Thanks!!

Last week Eric had the 8 yr barrel proof rye, the 10 year old, the barrel proof, and the 7? year old 99 proof, all on his shelves at Packages & More in E'town. All were priced at 49.99

Having some 7 yr from TPS tonight. It's delightful. Big corn sweetness. Oily. Sandalwood with oregano, baking spice, and fine oak. Chili oil finish. It's pretty great stuff.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.