BT single oak and a diatribe

RWBadley
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pay to play, boys! Pay. To. Play.

You beat me to it, MS. This was an exercise, or game to play, that you could elect to get in on, or not. We expect so much from these guys, and expect it all to be $12.99 a liter...

Attach a 50ml bottle to regular BT or ER along with a webpage to submit your feedback. Or have some hotties put on a tasting at local stores. I bet they would sell a few bottles that way.

Or have some hotties put on a tasting at local stores. I bet they would sell a few bottles that way.

You beat me to it, MS. This was an exercise, or game to play, that you could elect to get in on, or not. We expect so much from these guys, and expect it all to be $12.99 a liter...

So balking at $150 a liter means that I expect it to to be $12.99... .

Don't get me wrong - I didn't mean to bash on BT for the way they went about this, and I am thankful that they are doing these experiments (the new Warehouse X and those experiments are super cool!) Just think that they missed an opportunity to get a lot more feedback. I'm not sure the type of consumer who spends $60 for a 375mL? Probably not the type of person who is buying AA, BT, or other brands in volume. Maybe the type of person who waits all year for the BTAC - but we know that is a small market segment. I think there are those who spend big money (which I know is relative; but for most of us, $60 per 375 is big money!) because they know what they're getting and will treasure every sip. There are those who spend it because they have it, and probably wouldn't know the difference between a Saz 18 and a (ri)1. Thankfully the latter probably isn't going through the trouble of providing their tasting notes to BT via their web-site :lol: But to Joe's point - they're in it to win it, which means squeezing as much profit as they can out of every drop. They must be selling it at that price, because otherwise I think you'd see the stores stop carrying it if it was just taking up space.

I, too, was very excited when the information about the project was announced, but can't afford to participate. It's a huge disappointment. It would be interesting to know who they're targeting with these. Their interest in crafting the perfect bourbon seems more about creating the next super premium top shelf bottle than improving bourbon overall.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm skeptical about this. Even if I had mad money to throw away, I wouldn't bother. I'm sure people at the distillery tasted everything before it was bottled. They knew which ones were good, or not. I'm not against experiments. My axe to grind is that BT has lowered quality, dropped age statements, or just discontinued well liked brands that had been around for years. I used to be a big BT fan. Nowadays, the only BT product that is on shelves that I would buy is Charter 101.

I bought one bottle of this for giggles. They had a fair selection at the local big box retailer so I looked all the bottles up on DrinkHacker and picked the highest rated one they had (Barrel 60.) It is a nice wheater that my wife really enjoys as well. It compares very favorably to the JPS18 IMO. The all in price is very high though so I won't be buying another one. Cool idea that shows out of the box thinking but as others have said they are simply asking to much coin for the privilege.

Edited by NWBourbonDrinker

Of course not. That was a talking out loud, generalized comment of how we enthusiasts have been sounding lately, as we face a different bourbon world in the future. We have been the benefactors of an industry that went through a near-death experience. We have been feasting at the Glut trough for many years, now. What we have had was not intended, nor should it be expected as the "Norm". We have healthy distilleries, now. A very, very, good thing, even though it may lighten our wallets more than we would like.

Making bourbon "at a loss if we must" is cute, but has a proven bad ending waiting.

I am guessing you want to pay 70 bucks a bottle for good bourbon..I don't. That is where BT is headed.

I bought one bottle of this for giggles. They had a fair selection at the local big box retailer so I looked all the bottles up on DrinkHacker and picked the highest rated one they had (Barrel 60.) It is a nice wheater that my wife really enjoys as well. It compares very favorably to the JPS18 IMO. The all in price is very high though so I won't be buying another one. Cool idea that shows out of the box thinking but as others have said they are simply asking to much coin for the privilege.

The funny thing is that everyone gets upset about the flippers and those that have more money than taste that buy up BTAC and PVW..it is this exact crowd that BT is aiming for when pricing the Single Oak like this. I know there are some here that are in a financial zone I could never be in..and I say more power to you. However the future in bourbon is in its appeal to the masses with great price to quality ratio..not becoming like single malt scotch.

Even if I had mad money to throw away, I wouldn't bother.

Those who have money to throw away didn't get it by throwing it away.

Well, either you do or you do not want to play at the high-stakes table. BT is giving you that choice, that's all. Complaining about the table ante is useless. The low and mid-shelf drinkers aren't concerned or addressed with this promotional line (I include myself in that group).

The funny thing is that everyone gets upset about the flippers and those that have more money than taste that buy up BTAC and PVW..it is this exact crowd that BT is aiming for when pricing the Single Oak like this. I know there are some here that are in a financial zone I could never be in..and I say more power to you. However the future in bourbon is in its appeal to the masses with great price to quality ratio..not becoming like single malt scotch.

I agree on the flippers without question. It irritates the daylights out of me that I can't buy the bourbons I want because some greed monger finds a way to suck up the product. That said, I actually payed up for a couple bottles marked up at retail (BTAC bottles as the PVW markup is absurd) and in one case had a conversation with the retailer. He is in the UK so he doesn't really mark the product up much but it is still a bit expensive as is ordering any booze from across the pond. He shared with me that the vast majority of BTAC he sold went back to the US. I told him I wouldn't be broken hearted if BT doubled the price at retail and drove some of the flippers back to the real estate market. Given how quickly these bottles sell out in the secondary market at 2x,3x,4x+ I think an argument could be made that the market is setting its price. It is clear that flippers are messing with the demand side of the supply-demand equation but I realistically don't see a way to control this. Most reputable retailers are already limiting purchase to one bottle so even an intrepid person with free time is going to have a hard time scoring more than 3-4 bottles. Beyond that you need to be connected to a distributor to score heavily.

Sorry to go OT. Been thinking about this a bit.

Those who have money to throw away didn't get it by throwing it away.

I wish our forum software had a "like this post" function. I'd probably wear it out on The Wisdom of Squire.

I brought a bottle of single oak to the spring gazebo the last 2 years in a row. The first year, as I was gathering my other bottles, I noticed the single oak had been stolen (eek)

The second year it got drained pretty quick. So I guess people are curious. Seems to me you'd need an awful big sampling to figure out what you like. And what happens when what you like is in the minority?

Man walks into a bar

" I'll have a bourbon, preferably one aged in a barrel with staves from the top of the oak tree, if you have it. No biggie"

I brought a bottle of single oak to the spring gazebo the last 2 years in a row. The first year, as I was gathering my other bottles, I noticed the single oak had been stolen (eek)

The second year it got drained pretty quick. So I guess people are curious. Seems to me you'd need an awful big sampling to figure out what you like. And what happens when what you like is in the minority?

Man walks into a bar

" I'll have a bourbon, preferably one aged in a barrel with staves from the top of the oak tree, if you have it. No biggie"

I have a hard enough problem when I ask a waitress if their WT is 101 or 81, and they take 10 minutes to go ask "some people". Really??

The title of the thread has the word diatribe, so ... If BT wants to make some really great bourbons, there's no real need for experimenting. Just start bottling again some of the discontinued labels. Lets see, OWA 7 years old, Centennial, Old Charter Classic, Proprieter's Reserve, ETL 107, and others. I'm still a BT fan, just not so much the recent stuff.

Return to the past is not forward think Paul, who want's to approach the Board with a simple business plan like that.

I am guessing you want to pay 70 bucks a bottle for good bourbon..I don't. That is where BT is headed.

I'll pay $70 (and more) for something that I think is worth it. And, I fully understand and respect anyone who will not.

I also take comfort in knowing that there are, and will be, many terrific bourbons out there that I will be enjoying at much lower prices.

Buy or buy not. Some collector some where is completing the set. I'm much more frustrated by the continual dropping of age statements and price increases across all segments. My hope is the coming boom/bust cycle will solve this problem in another 5, 10, or 15 years.

I'll pay $70 (and more) for something that I think is worth it. And, I fully understand and respect anyone who will not.

I also take comfort in knowing that there are, and will be, many terrific bourbons out there that I will be enjoying at much lower prices.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.