Bluffhunter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

With no availability in my area of the Weller wheat products, is Makers 46 another good option for a wheater?

You won't know until you try it.

I'm not a standard Makers fan, but I do enjoy the 46.

Its been a while, but I remember enjoying it. The fact I have not purchased a second bottle probably means I did not think it was quite worth the price, but that really depends on what is actually available to you at any given point.

It's enough different to justify buying a bottle. If you don't like it well enough one of your friends will.

I've only had one bottle each of OWA (a TPS selection) and W12, but I find my bottle of M46 better than either. Is it worth the higher price? At $30, yes, barely. I don't care for the standard MM at all, though (I can't get past the taste of bread yeast).

Edited by MauiSon

I like regular MM, and also enjoy the 46. They seem like totally different whiskies to me, though. The 46 seems less like a wheater, and more like a rye bourbon to my palate. Particularly, on the finish. The extra wood finishing definitely gives the whiskey more sizzle and pop.

I tried it just a few weeks ago and really liked it. Almost grabbed one today while perusing the shelves, as it was $31 on sale. Like the others said, not a MM fan but this was pretty nice. Intense caramel/vanilla taste with a nice aftertaste. Sooner or later, one will come home. I just couldnt pass up the Larceny 1.75 thatll be 19.99 after the rebate, otherwise, I mightve grabbed the 46 today.

Reading all this feedback makes me want to get a bottle of the 46 to try out. I don't care for the regular MM at all to the point of not being able to get past the first sip. If it's as different as you all are describing, I'll have to give it a go!

I like regular MM, and also enjoy the 46. They seem like totally different whiskies to me, though. The 46 seems less like a wheater, and more like a rye bourbon to my palate. Particularly, on the finish. The extra wood finishing definitely gives the whiskey more sizzle and pop.

Agree with this assessment. Not sure I could pick it blind as wheated, but really enjoy it.

I keep a bottle around--$35 is about the lowest price I get it at here. Just had a pour to confirm--yes, it is good. Much better than the standard MM imo.

I like the regular MM, mostly because it's the best you can get in some restaurants and I've grown used to it. But, I don't keep a bottle on my bar. But, I like the 46 much better and almost always have a bottle of that one open on my bar.

This highlights, at least for me, how subjective tasting is. I feel that standard Makers is actually a solid, if not inspiring wheater. 46 has grown on me, but it certainly strikes me as existing within the MM Wheater profile.

And I will admit, it has recently become a guilty pleasure of mine. And I say "guilty" mainly because I feel that a MM line extension should have been approached with more respect, and different execution, than 46.

I feel that a MM line extension should have been approached with more respect, and different execution, than 46.

visually its a beautiful presentation. I was surprised how much better it was than regular MM, but a bit higher in proof wouldve been nicer.....say, 100?

Count me as a fan of this as well. Although I will admit in Michigan it is about same price as FRSB and 9 times out of 10 I would buy that instead.

Best regards, Tony

OK, we talked me into it. I'm going to go pick up another bottle at lunch...:lol:

Being in a control state gets me great pricing on limited products like PVW and ECBP but not so great on others. Makers 46 is $39.99 standard around here. I always take a look when I see it but can't pull the trigger. Hopefully I can find it a bit cheaper next time I'm out of state.

I think 46 is a nod toward the fuller flavor profile of a rye based mash bill without actually going there.

I love it, but I also love the standard MM just as much. MM 46 is a lot different.
I think 46 is a nod toward the fuller flavor profile of a rye based mash bill without actually going there.
Agreed on both points.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.