Bluffhunter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I decided to do a SBS of current Maker's Mark 90, Maker's Mark 84, Maker's 46, and a 1980 bottle of Maker's Mark. I could clearly make out the two current Maker's Marks. But actually found the current Maker's 46 to be very similar to the 1980 Maker's Mark and had difficulty distinguishing between them. Just interesting......

I decided to do a SBS of current Maker's Mark 90, Maker's Mark 84, Maker's 46, and a 1980 bottle of Maker's Mark. I could clearly make out the two current Maker's Marks. But actually found the current Maker's 46 to be very similar to the 1980 Maker's Mark and had difficulty distinguishing between them. Just interesting......

Very interesting - wouldn't that seem to indicate that those earlier bottles of MM were aged longer, picking up more barrel spice? So the toasted inserts in 46 are a shortcut to approximate what used to come naturally with age?

why not just toss those extra staves in the mix for the whole aging time?

I like 46, and bought my first bottle of it yesterday. the bottle makes a beautiful presentation, too

I like 46, and bought my first bottle of it yesterday. the bottle makes a beautiful presentation, too

The extra staves are french oak. If they're in there the entire time, wouldn't that potentially run afoul of the american oak requirement? The way they are doing it is basically aging in american oak for most of the time then finishing it w/ the extra staves. *shrug* that would be my only guess - I've got the same question. Guess I need to go back and do the MM tour again!

Because the way they're doing it now allows them to treat all their barrels exactly the same from day 1. Later they can pull some barrels aside and do the 46 treatment to them, and bottle others as-is.

Because the way they're doing it now allows them to treat all their barrels exactly the same from day 1. Later they can pull some barrels aside and do the 46 treatment to them, and bottle others as-is.

interesting. I wonder how the barrels to become 46 get selected. It'd be interesting to know

interesting. I wonder how the barrels to become 46 get selected. It'd be interesting to know

I'd suspect it's more a question of how many they need that day since all Makers is targeting same profile initially.

I'd suspect it's more a question of how many they need that day since all Makers is targeting same profile initially.

Maybe as they expand it will give them more flexibility to let a few of these current barrels age into the 8-10 year range.

When available, MM calls that "overaged" in their post tour tasting lineup so I'm not sure that aging longer is in their plans.

At least not until Jr. overbakes a loaf of bread and has an epiphany.

That's too bad - they can keep it NAS then, but just put some of those "overaged breadcrumbs" in the mix ...

Maybe the Japanese will have a different attitude towards MM, and release an older version. They did get MM black in the 90's, which was aged longer and at a higher proof.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.