What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have some THH. Will report back but have to go to bed. Have a few other ideas as well...

This is one of the reasons why I love this place. You guys are going to report back with your awesome results and make me march right out to buy some Collingwood.

Can't say I thought Collingwood Rye needed much more, but your statement has me thinking about possibilities I didn't even think to consider...what IF there is a puncher that could pump this whiskey up to greater heights? I think there might be. Please report back any good combos you come up with. I'm going to search for the same. THH is coming to mind...

:toast:

It would be a pricey puncher but the first thing that came to mind for me was the WP Boss Hog CS. Haven't tried it yet though.

It would be a pricey puncher but the first thing that came to mind for me was the WP Boss Hog CS. Haven't tried it yet though.

That would do it, but I'd hate to trim anything off the WP at the price it brings to bear. At roughly half that price, I'd probably go with the WFE 4yr.

I'm thinking Collingwood 21 would work good with willett 4y or LS&B 13y. I will report back.

That would do it, but I'd hate to trim anything off the WP at the price it brings to bear. At roughly half that price, I'd probably go with the WFE 4yr.

The WFE 4yr is more like a quarter of the painfully excessive price of the WP Boss Hog! But it would probably be a more practical option.

The WFE 4yr is more like a quarter of the painfully excessive price of the WP Boss Hog! But it would probably be a more practical option.

OK. Tried to "boost" the Collingwood with WT101 (new version) and with THH. Neither really worked. Even at 20% THH or WT101, the Collingwood got completely lost. I think it is just too delicate. Neither drink was bad, but I really did not feel like I was getting the benefits of either the well-aged or the high proof. For now, I can enjoy it as is.

OK. Tried to "boost" the Collingwood with WT101 (new version) and with THH. Neither really worked. Even at 20% THH or WT101, the Collingwood got completely lost. I think it is just too delicate. Neither drink was bad, but I really did not feel like I was getting the benefits of either the well-aged or the high proof. For now, I can enjoy it as is.

Yessir, the Handy didn't work for me, either. I'm now trying Collingwood with a bit of Knob Creek Rye, and it is promising. Both, are very bright ryes, and it comes away a bit thin. But, nice rye punch. No mistaking this for anything else. I'd like something with a bit more body, however. I'm not the biggest fan of Ritt BIB due to its bourbony character, but I'm wondering if that might be a nice complement?

I am really digging on this Catoctin Creek 2 year BP rye pick from SCN.

WFE 4 year. There were a few fingers left in the bottle and I need top shelf space for long neck bottles.

So is being The Advantage better than being The Situation? Just curious.

Edited by Old Dusty

So is being The Advantage better than being The Situation? Just curious.

Everything is better than being The Situation.

Camping on the river. Slamming WhistlePig and chasing it with Little Kings. It's good to be king. At least until morning ;-)

Little nip of Bulleit before bed. Very satisfying rye - not sure why it took me so long to grab a bottle!

Followed up a Old Scout bourbon with a little OS cask strength rye. Rye wins hands down!

Last might watching the season finale of Deadliest Catch with Mrs TT and enjoying several pours of Redemption BP.

Just dropped some Dickel 14 yr Barrel Proof in the Collinwood, and am very pleased. The Dickel gives the creaminess that was lacking on my last vatting with the KC. It's vitamin house style plays very well, too. I'm thinking even regular Dickel 12 may be nice in this.

Just dropped some Dickel 14 yr Barrel Proof in the Collinwood, and am very pleased. The Dickel gives the creaminess that was lacking on my last vatting with the KC. It's vitamin house style plays very well, too. I'm thinking even regular Dickel 12 may be nice in this.

Nice. Tried some Blowhard in mine tonight. Was pleased to find it added some depth and oak that reminded me of the Willett 24/94 that is one of my favorites. Of course using a $150 bourbon to flavor a rye isn't that sustainable.

Had a pour of my newest rye whiskey Angel's Pig. Not too shabby. The WP really cut down the sickly sweetness of the AE. Gonna let mingle a while longer before I sample again.

SAOS CS. I love starting off with a bourbon and then finishing up with a good old rye kick in the a$$!! :grin:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!