What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Me, too.  Of all the barrel proofs that I buy, these go from full to empty the most quickly.  Surprising, when I consider that they are not what I would call plentiful on the shelves in my area, nor are they necessarily inexpensive.  You’d think I’d be more judicious in my pours.  🤪But, even at $65+, it delivers quality enjoyment well above that price.  

Same here, except we can find rather easily around the Baltimore Metro area.  

Edited by Skinsfan1311

On 4/3/2021 at 9:52 AM, smokinjoe said:

Me, too.  Of all the barrel proofs that I buy, these go from full to empty the most quickly.  Surprising, when I consider that they are not what I would call plentiful on the shelves in my area, nor are they necessarily inexpensive.  You’d think I’d be more judicious in my pours.  🤪But, even at $65+, it delivers quality enjoyment well above that price.  

What I find funny around here is the 375ml go for $23.99. So unless its a store pick I will pick up a 375.

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 8:05 PM, LCWoody said:

What I find funny around here is the 375ml go for $23.99. So unless its a store pick I will pick up a 375.

Just saw this.    We live in the Baltimore metro area, and I've never seen the JDSBBP, (jeez...even the acronym for this one is bulky), in 375ml bottles.

If I ever do, and they're only $23.99, I'll buy a few bottles.

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

George Dickel Barrel Select from a metal cup while mowing the yard. I’ve always preferred drinking Dickel from metal vessels— seems to suit the minerality of the distillate.

B414244F-5631-488D-9AD2-962C86B85857.thumb.jpeg.7d02cacf2cc7fcee0934dbd9573e7634.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Nelson’s Green Brier as an evil spirit to ward off crazy Ida. A strong presence of Big League Chew saturated in linseed oil— but if it works I’m a fan for life. 

1A9CB786-7071-41CE-81E6-72239D9E78DA.thumb.jpeg.022e924eb02f7fbdcef310363d27e68f.jpeg

• I like it 3

30 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Nelson’s Green Brier as an evil spirit to ward off crazy Ida. A strong presence of Big League Chew saturated in linseed oil— but if it works I’m a fan for life. 

11A9CB786-7071-41CE-81E6-72239D9E78DA.thumb.jpeg.022e924eb02f7fbdcef310363d27e68f.jpeg

Stay safe down there!

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Stay safe down there!

+1 

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

1A9CB786-7071-41CE-81E6-72239D9E78DA.thumb.jpeg.022e924eb02f7fbdcef310363d27e68f.jpeg

I'm not sure if Big League Chew and linseed oil is good or bad, but I wish everyone down there the best of luck. 🙏  

• I like it 1

Thanks gents— we’re about to see how this ride plays out. Luckily I’ve got a few post-apocalyptic barter bottles on hand. A lesson I learned greasing the palms of National Guardsmen after Katrina. 

• I like it 3

After some time in the pool, I'm sipping a little Pikesville Rye, which I opened last night after finishing off the last of some 'OK' Heavens Door.  Its quite pepper-y, might be the higher proof? Its 110 proof.

I do like spicey, which is why I grow jalepenos, cayennne and Thai peppers every year (and most don't get eaten...so it goes)

On 8/28/2021 at 6:33 PM, Marekv8 said:

Well, seems the evil spirit proved powerful enough to throw Ida off course and saved us a direct hit— so I’ll gladly be back to the Green Brier in appreciation. Power is out here and at the shop, my clients in the NE are complaining about delays, plus my fave chainsaw got stolen— but I feel fortunate, drinking Barterhouse from a metal cup out on the tractor. 

5D461779-A9C4-44D3-B16B-A6DF88EEBB9D.thumb.png.66c97b58a59ae7d9e17131053eb7a484.png

• I like it 11

Very happy you’re okay Dave.  

12 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Well, seems the evil spirit proved powerful enough to throw Ida off course and saved us a direct hit— so I’ll gladly be back to the Green Brier in appreciation. Power is out here and at the shop, my clients in the NE are complaining about delays, plus my fave chainsaw got stolen— but I feel fortunate, drinking Barterhouse from a metal cup out on the tractor. 

Very happy you’re okay Dave. Tipping a short pour of Weller SR in celebration.😁

Biba! Joe 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

5D461779-A9C4-44D3-B16B-A6DF88EEBB9D.thumb.png.66c97b58a59ae7d9e17131053eb7a484.png

Checked in just to see if you had posted an update regarding your status. Glad to hear that you’re okay!

13 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Damn glad that you made it through safely Dave.  Take care.

On 8/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, Marekv8 said:

Thanks gents— we’re about to see how this ride plays out. Luckily I’ve got a few post-apocalyptic barter bottles on hand. A lesson I learned greasing the palms of National Guardsmen after Katrina. 

This man is a hardened veteran.

Lost a colleague to CV Thursday and decided to toast his memory with a recent acquisition  AD Laws Centennial wheat. Thanks to a bottle split with another enthusiast I didn’t take the full financial hit so I took a chance on what looked like a very interesting pour. Almost 6 yrs old so decent age and an heirloom grain wheat. Now my palate is still on the mend after being destroyed last year at this time but the pour I allowed myself Thursday night managed to pass some of the notes from the distillery tasting notes through the scorched earth remnants  of what were my taste buds. Power of suggestion? Maybe but I feel like this one is a winner. The price of entry is steep and my impressions given my situation are anything but reliable but I am really looking forward to this once fully recovered, the hints I got from it were very promising. Orange creamsicle seems to be spot on and as bourbon notes are finally beginning to peak through I hope to really enjoy this by the holidays.

• I like it 4

On the porch after another long day cleaning up after Ida. Nelson’s Green Brier in the glass.  I think I have my garage back and mostly settled. Now I need to turn my attention to my basement. Everything that got wet or ruined is out on the curb (huge pile). Everything left is dry, have 3 big dehumidifiers and 2 big fans running 24x7 since Weds night. Just gotta rebuild and figure out how to prevent.

AE3AFC88-6042-42EC-86BA-01AAACE26D5F.thumb.jpeg.d3f455198b9465078b34e0d1c37650ed.jpeg

• I like it 5

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Nelson’s Green Brier TN Whiskey 🥃 

That's on my list to try.

For tonight, a little Mellow Corn. 🌽

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 6:54 PM, Kjbarth said:

Watching the Giants preseason game.

7EB556FD-78CB-4DF7-AFAB-265088B64A8E.thumb.jpeg.e943487655035326c4ee35e741c9d26c.jpeg

I picked up one of these today for the first time.  I was quite interested to try something new for a change.  I was surprised to see on the back label age statement at least two years.  I guess taste is what counts.  I'm digging it.  It seems much older than two years - no white doggy taste, or raw biscuit dough.  I get something like the smell of a cherry pie baking in the oven, with the brown crust and cherries, but no too much of the sweetness.

Is this one of those TN whiskies that technically meet requirements for Bourbon, just not labeled as such.

• I like it 1

On 10/21/2021 at 10:39 PM, PaulO said:

I picked up one of these today for the first time.  I was quite interested to try something new for a change.  I was surprised to see on the back label age statement at least two years.  I guess taste is what counts.  I'm digging it.  It seems much older than two years - no white doggy taste, or raw biscuit dough.  I get something like the smell of a cherry pie baking in the oven, with the brown crust and cherries, but no too much of the sweetness.

Is this one of those TN whiskies that technically meet requirements for Bourbon, just not labeled as such.

It’s good, just not available in a lot of places. I got it at the distillery, can’t get it in NJ.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:39 PM, PaulO said:

...Is this one of those TN whiskies that technically meet requirements for Bourbon, just not labeled as such.

as per much of tennessee whiskey, it's filtered.  

I'm looking for one of these.  looks like interesting link to history