What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

12 hours ago, dad-proof said:

On first pour, the words that come to mind are fruity kombucha meets islay.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190802210710328_COVER.jpg

I like it very much but when a friend asked what it tasted like my response was "weird" this is a more useful description, my initial thought is the smoke is more peated highland than Islay but somehow the casks combined with the smoke do kind of create a medicinal thing that is vaguely Islayish. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to have one of these I haven't liked. For me, makes it the most consistent single barrel product I've had at least 3 bottles of. IMG_20190814_213058043.jpg

• I like it 6

8 minutes ago, jwperry said:

I have yet to have one of these I haven't liked. For me, makes it the most consistent single barrel product I've had at least 3 bottles of. IMG_20190814_213058043.jpg

A fav for me also my friend, I’ve never had a bad one myself! ;) 

• I like it 3

I've really been enjoying the Woodford Reserve Straight Malt Whiskey lately. Leathery, chocolatey, coffee-y, nutty with sweet fruit, and a healthy dose of oak to balance it out. Probably my favorite Woodford expression to date.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, BDanner said:

I've really been enjoying the Woodford Reserve Straight Malt Whiskey lately. Leathery, chocolatey, coffee-y, nutty with sweet fruit, and a healthy dose of oak to balance it out. Probably my favorite Woodford expression to date.

I only had a pour of it once courtesy of @KyleCBreese but I (surprisingly) enjoyed it at the time and Woodford is very much generally not my thing. 

• I like it 1

I only had a pour of it once courtesy of [mention=9008]KyleCBreese[/mention] but I (surprisingly) enjoyed it at the time and Woodford is very much generally not my thing. 

I like it too. I brought a bottle to our Spring Sampler in Bardstown, and at least one of the other attendees bought a bottle as soon as they got home. [emoji3]
  • I like it 2

8 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I only had a pour of it once courtesy of @KyleCBreese but I (surprisingly) enjoyed it at the time and Woodford is very much generally not my thing. 

Woodford/OldFo hasn't really been my thing either. Picked up the Woodford Wheat Whiskey today and am enjoying it as well.

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I like it too. I brought a bottle to our Spring Sampler in Bardstown, and at least one of the other attendees bought a bottle as soon as they got home. emoji3.png

You got that right! Thanks again;)

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes we are doing this. I bought this fucker back in 2013 or 2014, used a quarter of the bottle to scrub off mold from my kitchen counter, and it's still going strong in 2019.

IMG_20190914_224204.jpg

13 hours ago, Kane said:

Oh yes we are doing this. I bought this fucker back in 2013 or 2014, used a quarter of the bottle to scrub off mold from my kitchen counter, and it's still going strong in 2019.

I actually still have a bottle of Deaths Door from their very first batch. At that time, they aged their whiskey for a couple of weeks in (used?) barrels. I bought two bottles at the time. One I took to Bardstown to share at our spring get together. 

Biba! Joe

• 1 month later...

Having a very good pour of my favorite JD, The Heritage Barrel. Damn fine whiskey. 
9E010C1B-D5E9-4F3A-91D7-5F8432302D46.thumb.jpeg.36187bea2ff25f590fb3dbbb5ea0b81d.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the few craft whiskeys I keep going back to. Being 100% hickory smoked malted barley makes it a funky ride.  I like that it’s 100 proof, a lot of flavor and a bit of burn that I’ve grown to really like.  Very smokey but so different from a smokey Islay.  And perhaps the biggest kicker. I can get it locally for $25.  When I’m getting low I find it hard to not grab another bottle when I see it on the shelf. If other craft distillers priced as reasonably I would be much more willing to try and/or be a repeat buyer.

79111E83-F8F0-40A5-991C-6B6372109D1A.jpeg

Edited by KSJon
Spelling

2 of my all time favorites GD12 and Al D!! On topic I finished a local ATL distillery bottling (ASW) something they call “Duality “, a malted rye, malted barley whiskey. I got this at the distillery debut party for it and its been a nice change of pace pour. It reflects what the distillery notes suggest and I have enjoyed it, its a bit of rye spice and a scotch type component.

I followed it up with a nice pour of GD12, always a winner.

• 2 weeks later...

In keeping with my bunker reduction by drinking clunkers (AKA, anything I have but likely would not purchase again so the current one is taking up valuable space and drawing the attention of an other person living here who is complaining AGAIN about the manymany bottles stashed around the house), I just opened a Basil Hayden Dark Rye.  For those of you who have not tasted it, I offer these brief comments.  Those of you who HAVE tasted it are free to stop reading now because you KNOW this blend already.

BHDR is an 80 proof NAS blend of JB Rye, some Alberta Distiller's rye (and remember JB owns AB), and a little California port (but which port, I don't know).  Josh Peters at www.thewhiskeyjug.com reviewed BHDR in Nov 2017, and his review matches my impression, so if you are REALLY curious, go read his lengthy review. 

The blend is port-forward.  Indeed, I'm two ounces in and still do not smell or taste rye - just an earthy grappa/pisco-like (but not smooth brandy-like) slightly sweet distilled spirit.  I'm thinking that, instead of drinking the rest of this neat or even with ice, I may experiment with cocktails that otherwise call for a wine and distilled spirit combo -- Kir Royale, French 75, Hock Martini - style.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

In keeping with my bunker reduction by drinking clunkers.

I have very few bottles I'd consider clunkers, but I'm keeping them for when I go senile and won't know the difference. According to a certain woman I've lived with for 41 yrs, its probably not that far off.......

• I like it 5

I have very few bottles I'd consider clunkers, but I'm keeping them for when I go senile and won't know the difference. According to a certain woman I've lived with for 41 yrs, its probably not that far off.......

She’s probably been saying that for awhile...I know mine has been questioning my memory for years! [emoji23]
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, beasled said:

Hard to resist this from Cadenheads.

20191118_162208.jpg

Very cool-- any idea if any of those 16 years were spent in a Campbeltown warehouse? Color looks great.

5 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Very cool-- any idea if any of those 16 years were spent in a Campbeltown warehouse? Color looks great.

I'm not sure to be honest. From what I've seen with other indie bottlings it can vary!

• I like it 1

It’s Canadian but I don’t find a thread for that. A Black Velvet “High ball”. Only because that was my Father-in-laws drink of choice. He was a generous man and a great grandfather to my daughter. RIP.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

A great price on this one...3 half -bottles of Va Distilling Malt whiskies for $30 equates to $20 ea. for full size. Full Size bottles sell for $65 (which is why I've never tried it before) so it's almost a 75% discount. They blend their young Single Malt with an undisclosed Highland Single Malt and then finish it in either Cider, Chardonnay or Port Casks. So far I've tried the Cider Cask Finish and it is delicious.

IMG_7757.thumb.jpg.29222f582a084b4aae26c951c2e0a01c.jpg

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1