2 micro distillers in question

bourboNcigars
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not much info on these guys I'd like to know what you folks thing before I commit to buying, these bottles avg for $40 to $ 50 each, one is finger lakes mckenzie and the other is filibuster..interested in both the bourbon and ryes, I saw only a few post on mckenzie about how a good guy Tom is but really.nothing much about the drink itself..

Well they're a lot of good guys in the business but that doesn't mean they make good whisky. What I especially like about Tom is his total transparency over mash bill, type of still, distillation and barrel entry proofs, type of barrel and aging conditions, you know, the details that really matter to one who can read the chart. Haven't tried his products so I suggest you visit the website and also do a search here for tasting notes.

filibuster, according to the information on their web page, is young sourced stuff finished with a switcheroo barrel technique that does nothing to overcome the fact it's still young sourced stuff. People who gloss over the details are not to be trusted.

Oh, and for $50.00 you can get two or three bottles of MGP rye under other labels.

I haven't had Filibuster as bottled, but probably have had something close to it of all the MGP ryes I've had.

I've had McKenzie Rye at a bar but have not bought a bottle yet - I will when I find it since I thought it to be very good to excellent. If you are going to buy either, I'd buy the McKenzie since it is the product of a true micro - the other might be good, but that is probably better compared to either an Old Scout Rye or a WFE rye.

McKenzie is one of those that is doing their own thing so I don't see that as directly comparable to a Filibuster. I've seen McKenzie at a number of bars, so you can give it a go there if you don't want to commit to a bottle.

I think I will take the chance on mckenzie bourbon and rye bottles, one thing I did not like or did not interest me on filibuster was I read it's 2y bourbon then blended with another more mature bourbon but no age or mash ingredients were revealed. .I'm sure no big deal but for something like that did not want to spend $40 to $50 on the filibuster..so I'm going to add mckenzie to my buy list next time I go out stocking up

Seriously. All you can find is that Tom is a good guy. Seriously?

Dude, come on. You post a hundred times a week. Spend a tenth of that time reading first. Tom posts here all the time. You can see pictures of the process of installing his new still. You can find all kinds of details about his whiskey, straight from the man himself.

"I saw only a few post on mckenzie..." Shit. Seriously. Stop posting and read.

Relax a bit, take that energy and go solve a disease, like being a jerky online..you will get rich on that, next I did a search and only 5 threads came up, mostly on people from talking about the tour there and meeting the guy..nothing on the product itself..you really think if I read anything about the product I would have made this thread saying what I did about how they spoke to the type of man that runs the show? Sure I would I guess so I could meet you lol..good luck with the cure for online jerks..you won't even have to leave your house for a test subject..I typed in mckenzie finger lakes not much comes up

Relax a bit, take that energy and go solve a disease, like being a jerky online..you will get rich on that, next I did a search and only 5 threads came up, mostly on people from talking about the tour there and meeting the guy..nothing on the product itself..you really think if I read anything about the product I would have made this thread saying what I did about how they spoke to the type of man that runs the show? Sure I would I guess so I could meet you lol..good luck with the cure for online jerks..you won't even have to leave your house for a test subject..I typed in mckenzie finger lakes not much comes up

No. Stop posting. Seriously. You're pissing people off. I'm just enough of a jerk to say so.

Tom's username is tmckenzie. Go read his posts before you post about his whiskey again.

No. Stop posting. Seriously. You're pissing people off. I'm just enough of a jerk to say so.

Tom's username is tmckenzie. Go read his posts before you post about his whiskey again.

who the hell am i pissing off? let them speak for themselves and you speak for yourself..so where are these people im pissing off and how am i doing it? id like to hear, or should i say id like to read from them..

who the hell am i pissing off? let them speak for themselves and you speak for yourself..so where are these people im pissing off and how am i doing it? id like to hear, or should i say id like to read from them..

Yeah OK, that might could probably happen

Yeah OK, that might could probably happen

yeah, thats what i thought.

yeah, thats what i thought.

Just wait more than a couple minutes, bud.

Now, I want to be clear. I don't have anything against you. I'm blunt, but I'm not unreasonable. Ask the Fox. You're obviously enthusiastic. Just read some. Please.

I'm in Jim's corner on this one. Take some time to read instead of diarrhea posting. Everything you want to know is available via the search function.

if everything was about searching why do forums exist? we would all just use google, so lets just shut this forum website down and just go to google if people are going to get attacked for making a thread trying to get more recent opinions rather then searching and reading comments made years on ago..not just on this but other topics..and calling people post diarrhea posting is insulting, one mans crap is another mans bread and butter..remember that always..you shouldnt insult people just cause you dont agree or feel one mans comment or question is important to you..

if everything was about searching why do forums exist? we would all just use google, so lets just shut this forum website down and just go to google if people are going to get attacked for making a thread trying to get more recent opinions rather then searching and reading comments made years on ago..not just on this but other topics..and calling people post diarrhea posting is insulting, one mans crap is another mans bread and butter..remember that always..you shouldnt insult people just cause you dont agree or feel one mans comment or question is important to you..
One reason they exist is because they give people like Tom McKenzie the opportunity to embrace the community and be totally transparent. His posts are easy to find. If you say you can only find a handful, what you're really saying is that you're monumentally bad at searching the Internet.

Also, it's not just this post. It's almost all of your posts. Stop posting so much garbage, read, listen, learn, and you'll find people here to be a lot more welcoming.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

and your bad at making first impressions..so we both have our crosses to bear i guess..and if this is what the forum is for then were are all the other good folks? from beam, turkey, four roses, and all the other great companies out there? thats the dumbest thing i ever and iv read alot of crap online..this forum is for people..any people who have a interest in any type of spirit to post, ask, and comment..or when people type in the web address should the forum all be gone with just a search bar and say dont bother us by joining just search and leave us alone..lol, btw you say one reason, whats the other reason they exist? or did i mention them all for you ..lol

and your bad at making first impressions..so we both have our crosses to bear i guess..and if this is what the forum is for then were are all the other good folks? from beam, turkey, four roses, and all the other great companies out there? thats the dumbest thing i ever and iv read alot of crap online..this forum is for people..any people who have a interest in any type of spirit to post, ask, and comment..or when people type in the web address should the forum all be gone with just a search bar and say dont bother us by joining just search and leave us alone..lol, btw you say one reason, whats the other reason they exist? or did i mention them all for you ..lol

Yeah, nah, I dunno... Plenty of people here had a good enough first impression of me.

Before I ever posted, I spent literally years reading. You haven't spent an hour. Just stop. Please.

Yeah, nah, I dunno... Plenty of people here had a good enough first impression of me.

Before I ever posted, I spent literally years reading. You haven't spent an hour. Just stop. Please.

stop posting yourself and get out of this thread..

Jim is a well respected member of this community. You obviously don't appreciate his advice now, but you will in time.

Jim is a well respected member of this community. You obviously don't appreciate his advice now, but you will in time.

sorry but i dont respect people that insult me

At times it's tiresome to relieve threads over and over again so it is recommended that new users use the search function so that the best question can be asked by said new user. A lot of folks tend to think of SB as a big room (that belongs to Jim Butler) where we are having many conversations simultaneously. Upon entering that room you have struck up or jumped into a whole bunch of those conversations all at once. I guess Jim is saying that you might wanna listen a little first so that you can add value to the conversation instead of just blurting out questions and comments. Hyper posters add to the noise level. There's really no hurry. Just some friendly advice. I'm not a mod here so it's worth what you pay me for it.

My last comment in this thread will be this: I have not insulted you at all. Please read the forums. There's so much information here.

so the feeling im starting to get here all the new guys need to just shut up and listen to all the old members and thats pretty much it until they ( the old members) feel us new guys are allowed to ask and chat..so what do we do then just read and not voice our opinions, thoughts, and comments? this type of attitude really pushes new folks away and has thinking its already time for me to go too.

so the feeling im starting to get here all the new guys need to just shut up and listen to all the old members and thats pretty much it until they ( the old members) feel us new guys are allowed to ask and chat..so what do we do then just read and not voice our opinions, thoughts, and comments? this type of attitude really pushes new folks away and has thinking its already time for me to go too.

Guess I'm still here.

I am not saying you ought to go. What I am saying is that you ought to take advantage of this forum for what it is. You can learn so much if you will just read. Like I said, your enthusiasm is obvious. Enthusiastic people are awesome. Just chill out, dude. Stop posting so much. Start reading. Learn. Drink bourbon. Post things that you find insightful. Don't post everything that pops into your head.

if everything was about searching why do forums exist? we would all just use google, so lets just shut this forum website down and just go to google...

I think the advice is well-taken. "Search" in this case doesn't refer to Google, but rather the little box in the upper-right corner. Here's a head start (if it doesn't work for you, try typing "tmckenzie" in that box.)

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/member.php?5573-tmckenzie

SB is an awesome resource, and a lot of members have contributed a lot of great information. (I personally spend less time here lately, because the signal-to-noise ratio regarding useful new information has declined over the years.)

You seem to have a genuine interest and enthusiasm. The suggestion is to metaphorically sip rather than doing shots -- averaging 20 posts a day is more like chugging the bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.