2 micro distillers in question

bourboNcigars
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Any questions, shoot. Be glad to answer.

Any idea when that wheated bourbon you had aging (3+ years back in 2012) will be ready/available?

I think I recall seeing at least one bottle at Magruders in their "glass case" (could have been at Ace on the special shelf; can't remember). I'll check this week. I'm also dropping off a wishlist for Summer at another store I frequent and already have the McKenzie rye on the list. Thx.

How easy is it to find the McKenzies in the Chicago area? I'd like to try and grab some next time I'm up there.

We are in several spots in chicago. For you whiskey advocate readers, there is a good picture in the new issue and some quotes from me. Plain as usual. I try to tell it like it is. Oh, the wheated bourbon soon. First stuff distillery only. 5 years old. Then single barrels that age or younger if they warrant bottling. It is fine bourbon.

Thanks Tom, for taking the time to tell us more about what y'all are doing up there. I have a question about the bourbon and rye that you currently release. I have wondered why you choose to finish them in chardonnay (bourbon) and sherry (rye) casks/barrels? Will finishing be a standard/house style going forward? Also, will the wheater you mention above be finished, or just from oak?

We no longer finish bourbon in chardonay. The older product just did not work well with it. The sherry adds to the rye. It is local sherry barrels, it seems to balance it out. We will more than likely keep the sherry finished rye. But I do not see any more finished of any type bourbon in the future. The wheated has that peanut, toffee thing I call it that stitzell weller bourbon had. I would hate to even add water to it.

We no longer finish bourbon in chardonay. The older product just did not work well with it. The sherry adds to the rye. It is local sherry barrels, it seems to balance it out. We will more than likely keep the sherry finished rye. But I do not see any more finished of any type bourbon in the future. The wheated has that peanut, toffee thing I call it that stitzell weller bourbon had. I would hate to even add water to it.

Thanks, Tom. I have to honestly admit that chardonnay cask finishing seemed an "interesting" :D choice for the bourbon. Any reason for going the chardonnay route to begin with? Anywho, glad to hear that it will just be the regular oak barrels going forward. I look forward to trying them out as they're released!

Thanks, Tom. I have to honestly admit that chardonnay cask finishing seemed an "interesting" :D choice for the bourbon. Any reason for going the chardonnay route to begin with? Anywho, glad to hear that it will just be the regular oak barrels going forward. I look forward to trying them out as they're released!
we have a lot of that wine made around us. The barrels were used over and over, the wine did not give it taste. The barrel let it open up and breathe.

Hey, I am primarily Scottish blooded. Frugal is too nice, why, why, I have been called downright cheap before. I get it honest, my grandfather to save money went to bed at dark so not to have to turn lights on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.