2 micro distillers in question

bourboNcigars
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I spent about 5 years reading SB before I signed up. I wanted to listen before I commented, out of respect. I think I made the right decision.

so the feeling im starting to get here all the new guys need to just shut up and listen to all the old members and thats pretty much it until they ( the old members) feel us new guys are allowed to ask and chat..so what do we do then just read and not voice our opinions, thoughts, and comments? this type of attitude really pushes new folks away and has thinking its already time for me to go too.
Well I'm a pretty new guy and I don't feel like the forum "elders" have been anything but welcoming to me, and have very politely given me kind advice when I have maybe gone out of bounds. I can say that I sort of get the impression the minute you think of something, you tend to create a new thread, which could be interpreted as treating SB as your own personal Q&A session, a lot of which could be picked up with more judicious searching. You do seem like a very nice guy though, so I don't think you mean anything by it. You're just enthusiastic.

Back to the topic at hand . . . I've only had Filibuster once in a bar, and I didn't think it was very good. Can't speak to McKenzie, but it's one I'd take a risk on just based on Mr. McKenzie's transparency and level of interaction with the community. I feel like if I did not enjoy his product, I would be able to tell him what I did and did not like, and he would recommend a different product or would seriously consider my (or any other SBer's) feedback.

Let's all go find a reason to post on the "What bourbon are you drinking right now" thread. Cheers.

Let's all go find a reason to post on the "What bourbon are you drinking right now" thread. Cheers.

That's the spirit.

Get a grip Tony. Like Jim said, I and countless others started out reading through the forums. We'd like you to stay, just use the search functions. I imagine that others me especially are leery of new members lately because of the explosion on Facebook. We look out for one another. We are kind of like family. If you don't believe me come join us at the gazebo.

Tony, everyone who has posted in this thread would like nothing more than for you to be a contributing member of this community, but in due time. Your enthusiasm is well noted, but you're coming off as someone who is posting whatever comes to mind. Tighten the filter and distil your posts, so to speak. I have no ill will towards you and hope to see you posting for many years to come. Cheers!

From one n00b to another, search is your friend...

Granted the forum may not be the easiest way to find the data, most of the questions have answers therein.

vBulletin search kind of sucks but you can use Google to help:

"site:www.straightbourbon.com/forums mckenzie rye bourbon"

I'm on Tapatalk right now so I may have gotten the string not quite right.

I spent about 5 years reading SB before I signed up. I wanted to listen before I commented, out of respect. I think I made the right decision.

Was cleaning out the basement yesterday. :frown: Ran across some pages from sb.com I'd printed out in 2001. (I'll post 'em if you don't believe me.) Some guy named Cowdery was writing about what "bourbon" was. Too technical for this warm body back then. Too busy with retirement that year, woodworking, fishing, painting, and microbreweries. Now, I'm older and wiser. SB.com and its contributors (and their mags and blogs - thanks Josh, John H, Fred, Steve) and the distillers/producers here (under their real names and sometimes under flimsy pseudonyms) can be found collectively nowhere else. A century ago, Teddy Roosevelt would have his trustbusters chasing this group. In short (hahaha), it's a privilege to be here. And, although I honor it more in the breech than in practice, I always keep in mind the axiom, "It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

I think it applies to fingers, too.:soapbox: Another axiom: All criticism is constructive regardless of whether it is supposed to be. Now, let's all have another cup of whisky and enjoy ourselves, shall we?

I couldn't read all of that foolishness so forgive me if the following has already been said.

Tom Mckenzie is a great guy, a fine and knowledgeable distiller, and a member in good standing of this community. He makes a range of products. I've enjoyed most of what I have tasted, all of which could benefit from more age, and nobody knows that better than Tom.

Filibuster is an NDP using MGP of Indiana liquid. They have a bourbon and a rye. The bourbon has been finished in some other wood, I forget what. They're nothing special.

"site:www.straightbourbon.com/forums mckenzie rye bourbon"

This is a very helpful suggestion. I've found that using Google's algorithm to specifically search this site for a string enormously helpful in finding information here. ' "McKenzie rye" site:straightbourbon.com/forums' brought up links to conversations from 2009 thru 2014.

This thread could use the "pocorn eating" smiley that I see on other forums. :lol:

Boy, that escalated quickly!

But, um, yeah, what the others said. Mckenzie is the real deal, and worth supporting. But IMHO their products, with maybe the exception of the rye, are still works in progress. I really didn't like the Irish-style pot still they did.

And ditto, or tritto, or whatever for Filibuster. Generic-tasting NDP, though not in any way offensive on the palate.

Alright boys, lets have a little snort and have a good time. I am here, running rye today in fact. Any questions, shoot. Be glad to answer.

Can't wait to try your products. Have asked both of my dealers to request them from their distributors.

Mr. Tom -

Today's a day of rest (bourbon and baseball and a La -Z-Boy are de rigueur). But you can work if you want to. Only question - you making enough that WashDC gonna see some this time?

I think he really is embracing this, don't any of you fellas have any questions?

Alright boys, lets have a little snort and have a good time. I am here, running rye today in fact. Any questions, shoot. Be glad to answer.

So when will you be in South Carolina?

Now if he really wanted to embrace this, he would have webcams up so that we could watch every step of the process.

Is being able to watch the mash sit and ferment in real time really too much to ask?

Considering that there's no way to transmit the heady aroma via the internet, this might ultimately prove frustrating. :)

I'm actually enjoying a batch 15/2013 rye, which I was sipping when I opened this thread a minute ago.

Great, unique rye. Tea and biscuits, sherry overtone. A great changeup to my usually flavors in bourbon. I highly recommend it.

Tom, I actually do have a question, since you've been so generous to stop by. A few years ago you went from a 1 yr product to a 3 yr product. Will there be any progression towards further aging? Any thoughts on different rye labels at different ages? I love the current 3 yr, and I'd like to see it continued along side an older product.

Got tied up. Harry in dc, we are distributed there. I will find out what stores. Georgia. Is gonna be awhile, South Carolina too. Unlike a lot of folks, who just get anybody to distribute it, we want somebody that will care enough and do it right. I always have wanted a camera at least over the fermenters. As far as an older rye, we will have to see. Our low barrel proof and no corn in the mashbill seems to peak a little over three years. It gets a piney note that I do not like. There may be older rye one day, I have made a lower rye mash with corn that is aging nicely. The bourbon gets older whiskey each batch. The next batch is gonna have some 5 year in it. And the wheated bourbon will be out this year. That stuff is mighty good. We keep stacking it away, letting it age, more will be available down the road. Thanks for asking, I enjoy the forum very much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.