The Elmer Craze

bicktrav
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Many bourbons are in short supply. We've discussed the conditions ad nauseam. Deal with it, people. Just go find another...:rolleyes:

What kills me is that just a year ago, I saw ETL being put on-sale for $23 because it wasn't moving (and most of my friends who aren't on this board had never heard of it). I was blessed to be able to participate in a barrel selection and pick up some bottles, as this thing caught fire so quick - I don't know that I would have had a chance to bunker it. I've always thought it was a very under-valued pour (certainly was at $23; but even at the $27 I was used to paying; damn hard to beat). And while it is now hard to come by, I'm glad folks have discovered this amazing whiskey. Hopefully they'll re-start the barrel program for it again in the near future!

I got the same notification as I was leaving work and snagged a bottle. There were all of 9 bottles in stock when I added to my cart. It took me a couple minutes to go through resetting my password and hitting the right credit card. There were 5 bottles left when I confirmed. Sucks to miss, it's happened to me a lot, but I much prefer fastest fingers to having to earn points, a store playing favorites, or huge markups on limited availability.

Sounds like the car reservation Seinfeld episode.

"I understand what a reservation is."

"I don't think you do, because if you did, I'd have a car right now. Anyone can take a reservation; the key is to HOLD the reservation. That's the part you failed at, the holding."

Beanie Babies. Retailers - just direct customers to Blanton's. Better package, better bourbon.

I wonder if it would be possible for our forum to create a run on a product with none of us actually buying it. Just a thought. Talk of just how great Old Crow Reserve has become recently, perhaps. Gotta get a bottle to try it out, say. I guess it would be best to try with a brand that undergoes a label change, so it can be distinguished from previous product.

I know it is tough when you are chasing something. But, for what it's worth, the last two bottles of standard ETL I bought (a few months ago) were good, but disappointing compared to past bottles bought just a year earlier.

It seemed a shadow of its former self. It still had the ETL honey barrel profile, but just not as pronounced. Made me wonder if it is a bit younger due to the demand pressure, or perhaps they are expanding the selection to barrels that might not have found their way into ETL a year ago.

What kills me is that just a year ago, I saw ETL being put on-sale for $23 because it wasn't moving (and most of my friends who aren't on this board had never heard of it). I was blessed to be able to participate in a barrel selection and pick up some bottles, as this thing caught fire so quick - I don't know that I would have had a chance to bunker it. I've always thought it was a very under-valued pour (certainly was at $23; but even at the $27 I was used to paying; damn hard to beat). And while it is now hard to come by, I'm glad folks have discovered this amazing whiskey. Hopefully they'll re-start the barrel program for it again in the near future!

I don't get all the crazed actually.

I like ETL, have a bunch bunker and know of a small stash that I've been passing by.

Edited by tigerlam92
add

I don't get all the crazed actually.

I like ETL, have a bunch bunker and know of a small stash that I've been passing by.

I feel like it's been a meteoric rise with ETL. As others have mentioned, a year ago it was flying under the radar. My dad is also a bourbon lover, and I get him 3 bottles every year for gifts: Christmas, Father's Day, and his birthday. He tends to not treat himself so I try to find something for him he wouldn't normally buy for himself. I feel like it was maybe Father's Day 2013 when I got him ETL. But unlike some of the prior purchases for him that were either too rare or too expensive (or both) for him to replenish on his own, I told him he didn't have to ration the ETL, it was reasonably priced and readily available, so enjoy it if he liked it. Woops, so much for that.

Beanie Babies. Retailers - just direct customers to Blanton's. Better package, better bourbon.

Better package - don't care. They could put it in a mason jar for all I care.

Better bourbon - debatable. But in my state, Blanton's is double the price. Definitely not worth a $60 price tag.

Local store here just got a private barrel of ETL. But I heard it cost much more than it has in the past and as a result it's $50 a bottle.

I get it, no worries. I'm sensitive however to how we get represented online and I want people to know how things actually do work and how they can be a part of it in the future. These are always good opportunities to clear things up and help spread information that's accurate and up to date.

For example, we don't have an insider's club so I don't want information like that going around. Plus, you had a frustrating experience and I want to be able to help you in the future. You can always just email me when you need help. That offer extends to everyone on this board at all times.

I've never bought anything at K&L

As I live in GA and they don't ship there but I am continually impressed with DD's interest in the whiskey world and his responding to opinions expressed. It's very refreshing to have a retailer with passion. It's also extremely rare. I'm throwing out a thank you from a non-customer.

I visited the K&L website for the first time yesterday sometime mid-day and noticed they had ETL available. I must have been fortuitously in the narrow window where it was available and I didn't even realize it!

Based on this threat I missed the boat.

Count me among the somewhat mystified regarding the ETL craze. I like it enough, but as sutton and tigerlam said, I don't think it's craze-worthy. The Weller craze started because a bunch of n00bs heard it was the same thing as Pappy. What drove ETL though? I know anything BT is going to be limited in supply, but what's the rest of the story? Why ETL, and why now?

Count me among the somewhat mystified regarding the ETL craze. I like it enough, but as sutton and tigerlam said, I don't think it's craze-worthy. The Weller craze started because a bunch of n00bs heard it was the same thing as Pappy. What drove ETL though? I know anything BT is going to be limited in supply, but what's the rest of the story? Why ETL, and why now?

Simple. Cause it got scarce. If I can't find it, I must have it.

Simple. Cause it got scarce. If I can't find it, I must have it.

Unfortunately, I think that plays a big part in it. I like it, have a couple in the bunker (plus 2 Commemoratives), but it's not my all-time fav/go-to pour. I remember thinking to myself after Mr.Lee passed - is this suddenly going to get scarce/be considered a collector's item? It didn't, at least not right away. Then, BAM. Tough to find in most markets as I understand it.

I do like the "let's make Noah's Mill the next Pappy" idea, though, just for chuckles.

I know it is tough when you are chasing something. But, for what it's worth, the last two bottles of standard ETL I bought (a few months ago) were good, but disappointing compared to past bottles bought just a year earlier.

It seemed a shadow of its former self. It still had the ETL honey barrel profile, but just not as pronounced. Made me wonder if it is a bit younger due to the demand pressure, or perhaps they are expanding the selection to barrels that might not have found their way into ETL a year ago.

I agree. The new juice just doesn't seem to up to par. Thankfully. I have one old bottle bunkered alongside the new stuff but it is a shame that this solid pour has become so scarce and has even started to effect quality.

I do like the "let's make Noah's Mill the next Pappy" idea, though, just for chuckles.

Great idea! Let's pick something like OO and claim it's the new Pappy! With about 100 or so posts maybe we could get it off the ground.

How about convince people they need to run around and pick up all the Ancient Age NAS (same mash bill).

ETL .. not really a favorite,an ok pour,so many more out there...so little time. I was able to pick up a Comm., how do they compare SbS? Was holding off for awhile before popping it.

I know anything BT is going to be limited in supply, but what's the rest of the story? Why ETL, and why now?/QUOTE]

I believe Mr. Lee's passing has a good bit to do with it. There are a lot of well meaning but misinformed store clerks out there spreading the rumor that he personally selected all the barrels and now that he's gone the brand is finished or will never be the same or some other such.

You know, it's not really all that far-fetched. Its brethren, Black Maple Hill, gets snapped up almost immediately from most accounts when it trickles back into stock. It has nothing at all to back up its popularity except that it got on peoples' radars, and got buzz around it. Maybe Noah's Mill and Rowan's (a/k/a Rollins...) Creek will garner the same fate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.