The Elmer Craze

bicktrav
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

ETL is still pretty available in the wild. You have to remember that it has been widely distributed for many years before this bourbon boom of late. You just can't count on finding it at K&L or bevmo, the first place that people go to score a bottle when they hear that ETL is being discontinued or some similar nonsense. I know of at least 3 small stores around LA area that has ETL sitting on the shelves.

I got to try my first ETL about ten days ago.

I REALLY like this one!

I'm excited about it, because all this stockpiling by everyone is a temporary situation. Once we've all got ten in the bunker, there's going to be a backlash where nobody needs to buy it, and the shelves are going to be teeming again.

Until then, I can find a bottle here and a bottle there to keep my glass from running dry.

tbt

The most despicable thing I've seen to profit off of the death of Elmer T. Lee is here at Schneider's in DC. They picked a (crappy, sweet, completely lacking any identifiable ETL notes) barrel in 2012 for the status seekers, sold it at $30, then pulled it, and now that the great man is dead, put it back out for $45.

I'd need to channel Shakespeare to do anything but use f - words to describe these people.

Not to put wood to the dead horse, but . . .

AMEN on what should be done to Schneider's. They have a big selection, but don't go looking for bargains; instead, keep a hand on your wallet. Maybe it's their proximity to The Hill . . .

I've had my Schneider moment as well, maybe the Congressional influence will be lessened if they legalize pot in DC.

I've had my Schneider moment as well, maybe the Congressional influence will be lessened if they legalize pot in DC.

I would love to see a stoned employee try to get one of the bottles on the top shelf, which is like 15 feet above the ground. In fact, I think I'd insist on looking at several bottles.

The recent issue of Mental Floss magazine has an article about bourbon. They tend to have a one page article on a different beverage each month, with several suggestions/ reviews. They featured Bulleit Bourbon, WT 101, and ETL. I don't know if this will fan the flames even more. I don't recall if they mentioned that you can just go to the store and buy the first two whenever you like.

I got to try my first ETL about ten days ago.

I REALLY like this one!

I'm excited about it, because all this stockpiling by everyone is a temporary situation. Once we've all got ten in the bunker, there's going to be a backlash where nobody needs to buy it, and the shelves are going to be teeming again.

Until then, I can find a bottle here and a bottle there to keep my glass from running dry.

tbt

I hope you are right TBT. It's still been several months since I've found any standard ETL in the DFW area.

I did manage to grab a few Comm bottles here and there, but they are long gone in this area now as well.

Hopefully I can make them last until the standard becomes more readily available.

I was in a store a few days ago that had a price tag for ETL, asking $59.99. The saddest part is that they appeared to be sold out. :/

I hope you are right TBT. It's still been several months since I've found any standard ETL in the DFW area.

I did manage to grab a few Comm bottles here and there, but they are long gone in this area now as well.

Hopefully I can make them last until the standard becomes more readily available.

I've seen two pop up since I've been looking, and yes I bunkered me some commemoratives as well.

I just have the gut feeling that the drought is going to break on this before the end of 2014. Not to the point of being 12 deep and dusty, but at least to being findable 6 deep at the odd store by those with reasonable conviction.

tbt

Seems like they show up every few months, hang around for a couple weeks, then they dry up. Looking forward to the next batch hitting the shelves. Until then I have an unopened bottle and two commemoratives (which really aren't as good; in fact, I've been thinking of gifting one of them to free up space).

in fact, I've been thinking of gifting one of them to free up space).

Haha, that oughta make you a few quick friends, bicktrav!

tbt

Haha, that oughta make you a few quick friends, bicktrav!

tbt

Yeah, probably. I'm just not a huge fan of it. I know others are. There have been some really great reviews from some pretty reputable people, but I feel like the appeal of Elmer has to do with its balance and drinkability. The Commemorative I've had has less balance and is less easy-drinking on account of the proof switch. Incidentally, it's odd that a 3 point difference in proof can amount to such a big difference on the palate, but at least for me it seems to have. Anyway, I'll probably gift one or something. I bought them up because I'm a big Elmer fan, but quite honestly I've got plenty of other bottles I'll pour from before I get to the Commemorative.

Yeah, probably. I'm just not a huge fan of it. I know others are. There have been some really great reviews from some pretty reputable people, but I feel like the appeal of Elmer has to do with its balance and drinkability. The Commemorative I've had has less balance and is less easy-drinking on account of the proof switch. Incidentally, it's odd that a 3 point difference in proof can amount to such a big difference on the palate, but at least for me it seems to have. Anyway, I'll probably gift one or something. I bought them up because I'm a big Elmer fan, but quite honestly I've got plenty of other bottles I'll pour from before I get to the Commemorative.

They were bottling it in July when we were up there. It's around. I agree that the problem is temporary, likely due to chatter and their own cautionary remarks.

ETL was on LCBO store shelves this spring in Ontario, Canada; it didn't last long, even at C$54.75 per bottle...I grabbed six because five wouldn't be enough;)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. Some of them I added bottles to my cart to make sure. A few of them were in my area where I know they have it in stock. But you are correct that some stores will price it at $60 - $90. Greed? Desperation?

But that's the nature of speculation. If you thought that your favorite bottle would cost twice as much in the future, how much would you buy today?

As I said before, there's a definite sense of fear with ETL, W12, and a few other otherwise average bottles. It's all rather irrational IMNSHO.

IMHO - When a bottle of ETL is spot on it really shines as a very well balanced pour. Not the most flavorful or most complex but delicious and balanced is just the ticket sometimes. The problem is because they are single barrels you don't always get that bottle that's perfectly balanced, and without barrel numbers even if you get a very good one there is no guarantee that the other bottles on the shelf are from the same barrel so you are never completely sure of what your buying.

Does anyone else pick up a lot of similarities between ETL and RHF?

For me Elmer is rounder and sweeter while RHF is dryer and a bit more complex but both are equally welcome in my house.

I'm guessing the Elmer Craze might be starting to fade since I'm seeing multiple bottles on the shelf.

I'm guessing the Elmer Craze might be starting to fade since I'm seeing multiple bottles on the shelf.

Still can't find a bottle here in SoCal.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.