The Elmer Craze

bicktrav
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If I were an NDP I would come out with the Rollins Creek label since it's already highly ranked.

I do like the "let's make Noah's Mill the next Pappy" idea, though, just for chuckles.

I'm sure KBD would enjoy that too.

A year ago Elmer T Lee was alive and BT wasn't having rolling blackouts of its every day offerings.

Then he died and the bourbon craze turned into a f'n feeding frenzy.

And ETL is already getting treated like btac and pappy. It's allocated. Ordering it does no good. They send you a single case whenever they get it in. O

I have to say, that in all the years I've been a buyer of ETL, I would never have considered it readily available. I've hunted many states, and it has always been a tough find. The events of the last year have simply exasperated this fact. It is, what it is.

ETL is reasonable available in SEMI. Not every store carries it but he better stores have single barrels they are selling from.

When it was wax dipped it seemed to be a more challenging find. Fortunately the bunker holds a few wax dipped bottles.

Beanie Babies. Retailers - just direct customers to Blanton's. Better package, better bourbon.

I wonder if it would be possible for our forum to create a run on a product with none of us actually buying it. Just a thought. Talk of just how great Old Crow Reserve has become recently, perhaps. Gotta get a bottle to try it out, say. I guess it would be best to try with a brand that undergoes a label change, so it can be distinguished from previous product.

HEY! Somewhere (like, several pages back) on SB I read that Old Crow Reserve is a really special bourbon. I'm going to go buy as much as I can get. It's what my Dad drank.

[MauiSon - will the search engines pick that up? And, there's a plus side - if it does, "they" may chase OC instead of stuff I like]

ETL is readily available in VA ABC stores, although across the river in DC I understand it's been scarce and even unavailable at times. One of the distributors there is speculating that it might be moved to the BTAC.....anyone else in the industry hearing anything like that?

ETL is readily available in VA ABC stores, although across the river in DC I understand it's been scarce and even unavailable at times. One of the distributors there is speculating that it might be moved to the BTAC.....anyone else in the industry hearing anything like that?

I would be surprised if that's the case because I'm pretty sure ETL is owned by Age International.

Maybe Noah's Mill and Rowan's (a/k/a Rollins...) Creek will garner the same fate.

Please don't, I like both of those and I have a hard enough time finding things in Ohio as our selection sucks.

I pass on it all the time in the low $30's here.

People just WANT BT products for whatever reason. I still don't get it. It retails for $30 because it's a $30 bourbon. Who cares if it's "allocated"? That's the nonsense that drives ignorant people to seek it out even more.

This may have been covered but I wonder if Elmer T. Lee being name dropped on "Justified" has anything to do with it? I was able to pick up some bottles in Idaho but they were pretty much the last in the state a few months back. I'm enjoying it very slowly.

Read closely in many threads here and all over the 'net when people comment about products like ETL, etc. There's a definite anxiety that just cause your local mom 'n pop doesn't have it all the time you better buy all you can before its gone forever! Better stock up that bunker! It's borderline irrational panic.

This feeds back to the stores because many of them don't know any better so they keep the frenzy going buy telling everyone 'we can't get it!"

Then of course you have the distributors that absolutely LOVE to jack around with the retailers, fill them full of total bullshit, lies, etc to of course milk their bottom line.

Its just like what Mathew McConaguhey's character says in Wolf Of Wall Street- it's a big fougazze. It doesn't exist. It's born from greed and ignorance.

The fact that some of us can buy whiskey at grocery stores, drug stores and 7/11 sounds just so foreign to me. Like it's another country or something.

Don't forget the drive thru liquor stores, it's a walking dream man, I tell 'ya.

The fact that some of us can buy whiskey at grocery stores, drug stores and 7/11 sounds just so foreign to me. Like it's another country or something.

Another continent or something.

Don't forget the drive thru liquor stores, it's a walking dream man, I tell 'ya.

Another planet, I'm sure of it.

Apropos ETL, some of it recently showed up in my area at my favorite store which has "Discount Liquors" as part of its name. Normal $33 Massachusetts pricing. Johnnie-come-lately snobs usually avoid places with cement floors and a distinctive faint booze-beer aroma.

The Elmer craze is the perfect storm. The product flew under the radar for years. It has a good back story. The package is attractive and easy to recognize. It's also a very easy whiskey to drink. There's nothing really incredible about it, just very balanced. New people and experienced bourbon people probably would both like it. I will buy it now and then around $30. If the price goes up much more than that, I start to have a lot of other options.

Apropos ETL, some of it recently showed up in my area at my favorite store which has "Discount Liquors" as part of its name. Normal $33 Massachusetts pricing. Johnnie-come-lately snobs usually avoid places with cement floors and a distinctive faint booze-beer aroma.

And yet in MA I found ETL Commemorative for $26.99, without cement floors or that stale beer aroma :)

And don't ask ... I went back a week later and it was all .... gone ...

We have drive thru beer and wine stores, but not liquor yet

When I moved to SWGA in the late 70's I saw my first drive thru windows and thought it strange

I remember visiting Shreveport in the '80s and ordering a frozen cocktail at a drive-up window...

And yet in MA I found ETL Commemorative for $26.99, without cement floors or that stale beer aroma :)

And don't ask ... I went back a week later and it was all .... gone ...

*sigh*... I'll keep looking... :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.