Rhetoric

tigerlam92
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since people are picking this up, please post your thoughts and tasting notes.

Attach image shows what I received a couple of weeks ago. Looks like it will be out for a number of years; six batch release up to 2019.

post-2364-14489821068471_thumb.jpg

post-2364-14489821068471_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigerlam92
add

Have not personally tasted yet, but a good friend did and said he was highly unimpressed. We have similar tastes, so I'm going to wait to try at a bar before deciding whether to purchase. For the record I love Barterhouse, so I'm not an Orphan Barrel hater. Found a couple of Baterhouses today (literally covered in dust...already!) in Michigan so they'll be making the trip home tomorrow.

I tried this last night. I like it better than Barterhouse. Thicker mouthfeel, a little more spice and definitely more Oak. Pretty decent stuff. To me this is the best of the three so far

The whole age progression is really appealing. I've passed on all of the Orphan Barrels thus far, but seriously considering this one. Thinking I would need to immediately decant some amount to keep it close to "new" for the sbs in 2019 though (maybe 200 mL). No way I cold let it sit that long without cracking it!

Not in Texas yet, standing by with bated breath...

tbt

We are amongst the last to get everything it seems.

The whole age progression is really appealing. I've passed on all of the Orphan Barrels thus far, but seriously considering this one. Thinking I would need to immediately decant some amount to keep it close to "new" for the sbs in 2019 though (maybe 200 mL). No way I cold let it sit that long without cracking it!

I'm hoping to get at least two bottles of each age, enjoy the first now, and then later do a sbs with each age represented.

I've had this and the Barterhouse and I prefer this. They're very similar but this feels like a bigger whiskey if that makes sense. I love the nose and the oak is balanced fairly well. Of course it's really hard to justify the cost and I think Diageo is just the worst, but this is a good, borderline great whiskey IMO.

I know where I can go buy a bottle of PVW15 right now for $500, but MSRP is closer to $80.

Is this not the same price as Barterhouse (~$80)?

MSRP is $5 higher which of course means nothing at the point of sale.

True at many stores, or markets in your case. However, with a little luck, you can get just about anything sold here at very close to MSRP.

We are amongst the last to get everything it seems.

As long as we can get to say "better late than never". Hey, we get to read all the reviews first

tbt

I like this bourbon. It has the same profile as Barterhouse (for obvious reasons). It's worth getting a bottle to me.

MSRP is $5 higher which of course means nothing at the point of sale.

In Columbia SC it is running $20+ higher than Barterhouse.

In Columbia SC it is running $20+ higher than Barterhouse.

$15 higher in VA.

Notice how everything is going up. None of my dealers have even put anything on sale over the last several months and why should they when it's moving.

Are these numbered like Barterhouse? Chi-town posted in another thread that it was numbered into the 70K. I'm curious which one is more "rare"?

I think neither is rare in our enthusiast's terms.

My friend saw 90,104.

Barterhouse I heard would be maybe three years and Rhetoric looks to be six years running.

I was just being facetious about the rare comment but do admit that I'll pick up a bottle to try. The experiment to see how the flavors change each year sparks my curiosity, although I hope the pricing doesn't increase each year.

I was just being facetious about the rare comment but do admit that I'll pick up a bottle to try. The experiment to see how the flavors change each year sparks my curiosity, although I hope the pricing doesn't increase each year.

Hahaha, make sense.

Completely agree.

But only if year one is fairly good. If it is a thicker version of Barterhouse that's a good start.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.