Rhetoric

tigerlam92
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

...although I hope the pricing doesn't increase each year.

But, why shouldn't it? I "hope" it doesn't either, but I can't think of a very legitimate reason for Diageo not to increase it every year.

But only if year one is fairly good. If it is a thicker version of Barterhouse that's a good start.

From the few sporadic initial reviews, it seems like something I would like better than Barterhouse. I like the nose, but the body and taste of Barterhouse is a bit thin to me. Haven't tried OB.

But, why shouldn't it? I "hope" it doesn't either, but I can't think of a very legitimate reason for Diageo not to increase it every year.

If I were to wager on it, I definitely think Diageo will increase the price at least another $10-$20 MSRP. I'm still going to be naive and pray in 3 years the price doesn't hit $180. I see stores around here charging that much for OB.

They are numbered but the numbers are not for each release. It is simply an "orphan barrel number". We will never know how many there are of each release. Diagio has already fibbed about the numbers so any info from them isn't going to be accurate.

My Barterhouse is improving with time. I tried Rhetoric last night, was not a fan. Far more mint/wintergreen on the nose, and fruitier flavor.

Since people are picking this up, please post your thoughts and tasting notes.

Attach image shows what I received a couple of weeks ago. Looks like it will be out for a number of years; six batch release up to 2019.

[ATTACH]18716[/ATTACH]

Hm.... did anyone else try to make out the text where they're talkin' trash about us "self-described whiskey geeks"?

We apparently love "rare bourbons with rich stories"... Well, they got the first part right, though rare doesn't necessarily equal good. And considering that I can't find a brand that doesn't have some kind of whiskey lore...

• 2 weeks later...

Got my share of Rhetoric and pop one open. Will spend more time with it first.

But initial impression after two pour is that it's better than I expected and I do enjoy it.

post-2364-14489821144421_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigerlam92
add

I grabbed one myself.

Thinking about doing a 3-way test this week (Three-Way-Thursday?), with OBH, Barterhouse and Rhetoric

I grabbed one myself.

Thinking about doing a 3-way test this week (Three-Way-Thursday?), with OBH, Barterhouse and Rhetoric

Couldn't do a Wednesday tasting this week but that is part of what is on tap for next Wednesday!

Got a call that one of my dealers has two bottles behind the counter for me. Looking very forward to this because I am really enjoying Barterhouse.

Today it appears to me that this is one with a small splash or even neat is better.

OBH needed water or ice to calm it down.

Got some bottles of this today.

I've got to call myself nonplussed where it comes to this. It drinks...not much happens...the end.

Even though I don't like Barterhouse, I appreciate that it has character. Rhetoric seems to lack character.

OBH is still the only orphan barrel I've enjoyed. But I stock Barterhouse because my friends like it.

tbt

Edited by The Black Tot

Had my first pour of Rhetoric yesterday. Right now I would say Barterhouse beats it but I think that once it has been opened awhile it will match or surpass it.

One thing I like about both is that they are so enjoyable neat.

Cracked open mine and immediately made a 200 mL "time capsule" for comparing when this thing has run its course. Letting some air out in the glass during dinner before tasting it.

post-7689-14489821166857_thumb.jpg

Cracked open mine and immediately made a 200 mL "time capsule" for comparing when this thing has run its course. Letting some air out in the glass during dinner before tasting it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18910[/ATTACH]

Wow, kick ass. How'd you do that?

Thanks - used the TTB label and just sized it to fit my 200 mL bottle (took a couple prints to get that right). Unfortunately out of ink in the color printer, but as long as I can keep the age straight, it will do the trick!

That's a really good idea. Beats my method of taping a post-it note to the bottle. I'm going to borrow your method going forward. :)

That's a really good idea. Beats my method of taping a post-it note to the bottle. I'm going to borrow your method going forward. :)

Blue painter's tape and a sharpie is cheaper and faster! Well, faster anyway.

:cool:

I need to start buying cheap 200 ml bottles and saving them because it's already standard practice to save the last of most bottles. But the little 60 ml/2 oz bottles are barely two pours and I really don't need to save a full 8 oz.

Never thought of *stealing* the TTB for the sticker. If any Nice Government Men ever ask about my "mini" collection, I'll send them Daryl's way. :P

Rhetoric came in second for me this past weekend. I just hope it improves with time as much as the Barterhouse has.

Not having much luck uploading pics.

I need to start buying cheap 200 ml bottles and saving them because it's already standard practice to save the last of most bottles. But the little 60 ml/2 oz bottles are barely two pours and I really don't need to save a full 8 oz.

Never thought of *stealing* the TTB for the sticker. If any Nice Government Men ever ask about my "mini" collection, I'll send them Daryl's way. :P

Honestly, I've only done this with newer releases where I could find the link quickly to the label (thanks sku!) I've taken phone pics of bottle labels and done the same thing. Mostly because I'm a geek :lol: Agree on the 2oz sample bottles - I do use those for some archival copies and to make small-batch mingles. But 200 mL of WT101 come in handy for stuff like this.

I heartily endorse this level of geekery. I'm the same way. Fantastic idea and the same kind of thing that I would do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.