Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

An unexpected find ....scored a 2007 last night from a friend. Have not seen the 2014 around here yet.

Whoa!! Excellent score. It would be a heck of an experience to do a vertical of BB's over the years.

Got to try OFBB this weekend at the WoW event in Atlanta. Pleasantly surprised. Plan to do a blind SBS of 2012/2013/2014 this week.

B-F is also bringing out a new line of "small batch" bourbon called Old Forester 1870 Original Batch which supposedly has a different mashbill according to the rep at WoW. I think it is out in some areas (Nashville I think) but not Georgia until early next year. Pretty decent but low proof at 90. Could be interesting depending on what they plan to charge for it. But if it is much more than Signature then probably not worth it to me.

The rep also claimed the upcoming Woodford rye that has been rumored is not the same mashbill as the Ritt they made for HH for years. Take that for what it is worth...

Got to try OFBB this weekend at the WoW event in Atlanta. Pleasantly surprised. Plan to do a blind SBS of 2012/2013/2014 this week.

B-F is also bringing out a new line of "small batch" bourbon called Old Forester 1870 Original Batch which supposedly has a different mashbill according to the rep at WoW. I think it is out in some areas (Nashville I think) but not Georgia until early next year. Pretty decent but low proof at 90. Could be interesting depending on what they plan to charge for it. But if it is much more than Signature then probably not worth it to me.

The rep also claimed the upcoming Woodford rye that has been rumored is not the same mashbill as the Ritt they made for HH for years. Take that for what it is worth...

Agreed re: the OFBB. My 2013 OFBB has been dead for a while now, but from what I recall the 2014 nose is ~almost~ as good as the 2013. There seemed to be a more pronounced burn/sharpness in the finish of the 2014 than last years. Still an exceptional drink though (thanks again to a fellow SBer for the bottle!).

I enjoyed the 1870, definitely a step above OF Sig, I think one of the reps told my friend it would be priced around $45. I'd like to see it more in the $30-35 range, but they probably don't want it competing with Woodford.

Agreed re: the OFBB. My 2013 OFBB has been dead for a while now, but from what I recall the 2014 nose is ~almost~ as good as the 2013. There seemed to be a more pronounced burn/sharpness in the finish of the 2014 than last years. Still an exceptional drink though (thanks again to a fellow SBer for the bottle!).

I enjoyed the 1870, definitely a step above OF Sig, I think one of the reps told my friend it would be priced around $45. I'd like to see it more in the $30-35 range, but they probably don't want it competing with Woodford.

Yeah, $45 seems a bit steep. May end up with one for the heck of it but not likely to make it a regular purchase at that price. Would welcome more details about it as well but we probably won't get that either. Although the rep said the rye component in mashbill was higher than standard OF she also said it was around 18% which is the mashbill for OF now I think. So not sure what is different.

Maybe they are bottling left over ET354 distillate in a new bottle and hoping to get a big increase in price for it with a fancy new "small batch" label. Not that I am a conspiracy theorist or anything...

Ran across the ONLY one of these I've seen around here (or for the past couple of years) so I brought it home. Wasn't looking for it, but since it's probably the only one of this year's limited releases I'll see I thought, "What the hell." Based on the first pour, I'm not disappointed. The last one I had was 2011 and I like this one a lot more. Wasn't sure I would buy another one of these as I found the '11 to be way out of balance. This one, however, is pretty darned good so far.

I'm really looking forward to trying this years OFBB. I was able to grab one for $35 today. Can't wait to get home from my business trip and share with the misses. She's starting to come around to bourbon and really liking the selections I'm picking up.

I really love my wife and I also really love that she doesn't enjoy bourbon or rye since I'm a selfish old b*****d

Strange but OFBB 2012 seems to be readily available in Japan. I wonder if they just get their stuff later than us.

Homes are so small in Japan that space is at a premium and they probably have no idea what to be with those enormous bottles...

:cool:

My area didn't get much this year. One of the stores I go to only got 7 bottles. Last year they got 3 cases of it

I grabbed one of these recently for a good price. Haven't tried it yet. I had the 2012 and wasn't blown away...wound up trading to a buddy for a Weller 12. Interested to see what this years has in store...

I grabbed one of these recently for a good price. Haven't tried it yet. I had the 2012 and wasn't blown away...wound up trading to a buddy for a Weller 12. Interested to see what this years has in store...

Funny how people's tastes vary so much. I love the OFBB 2012 and that smokey, almost peaty finish. I actually traded a bottle of GTS for 2 bottles of 2012 a year ago to another sb.com member. We were both happy, I think!

I enjoyed this year's OFBB- it was $50 in PA and I found it for $60 in NJ. I've never had it before that, so I can't say how it differs from other years. There was quite a frenzy over the stuff in PA- I actually had to hunt it down and the stores that had it got calls from all over, almost like PVW. Crazy.

So wanted to have a few pours before posting my thoughts. Have to say I'm underwhelmed compared to the '13. Understand I thought last year's was one of the best of 2013. Especially that nose. But I can't find the sweet spot this year. Neat it has a strong medicinal note that comes through on the palate. Hard to put a finger on it but with water it turns almost to a perfume smell/taste( like heading thought the perfume dept and walking through a fresh spray zone.) not a pleasant taste. It does open a bit with water and airtime, but that fails the "limited edition" test for me. Something limited and expensive/hard to get should not require much tweaking to make it sing. And even with tweaks this was just good not great.

So wanted to have a few pours before posting my thoughts. Have to say I'm underwhelmed compared to the '13. Understand I thought last year's was one of the best of 2013. Especially that nose. But I can't find the sweet spot this year. Neat it has a strong medicinal note that comes through on the palate. Hard to put a finger on it but with water it turns almost to a perfume smell/taste( like heading thought the perfume dept and walking through a fresh spray zone.) not a pleasant taste. It does open a bit with water and airtime, but that fails the "limited edition" test for me. Something limited and expensive/hard to get should not require much tweaking to make it sing. And even with tweaks this was just good not great.

That's quite a difference in palate that we must have. I never got a medicinal note out of OFBB. I don't think the OFBB is ridiculously good or anything, but it is very pleasant. No noticeable off-notes or really strong odd flavor notes to me. Maybe I'll revisit it tonight to see if I can taste what you're getting out of it. I don't drink whisk(e)y with water, so I don't know what it would be like with water.

Funny how people's tastes vary so much. I love the OFBB 2012 and that smokey, almost peaty finish. I actually traded a bottle of GTS for 2 bottles of 2012 a year ago to another sb.com member. We were both happy, I think!

Very true. Still need to crack open the OFBB...was supposed too last night with a fellow bourbon lover and had to cancel.

• 2 months later...

Local store had a 2014 set aside for me today.

I had pretty much given up on finding one, but he said the distributor found 5 bottles in a busted open case last week.

Up here in Layton, that stuff does not show up and I don't get over to SLC that much, maybe once/twice a month.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still scratching my head on the OFBB14. I just don't get it. Is this really the best they can do? Does anyone taste this stuff before they ship it? I've tried and tried to find some quality about it that might justify someone believing this was a premium product but I give up. To me it tastes like someone dumped acetone into the batch. It has that wiff of nail polish remover that just won't dissipate with time. I read how others have liked it so I'm asking why? What do you like about it, especially for $60?

I'm still scratching my head on the OFBB14. I just don't get it. Is this really the best they can do? Does anyone taste this stuff before they ship it? I've tried and tried to find some quality about it that might justify someone believing this was a premium product but I give up. To me it tastes like someone dumped acetone into the batch. It has that wiff of nail polish remover that just won't dissipate with time. I read how others have liked it so I'm asking why? What do you like about it, especially for $60?

Did a blind tasting of the 12, 13 and 14 last December and I don't remember any acetone on the nose or palate. Indeed, it was the 2014 that was the pick of the group including me and had a very pleasant nose. May just not suit your particular preferences.

Did a blind tasting of the 12, 13 and 14 last December and I don't remember any acetone on the nose or palate. Indeed, it was the 2014 that was the pick of the group including me and had a very pleasant nose. May just not suit your particular preferences.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.