About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

Essentially.  Different barrel selection (and possibly aging location even within the same warehouse).

1 hour ago, starhopper said:

My wife and I just did a side-by-side tasting of the 2015 VW Lot B and Weller 12 two nights ago.  We found the flavor profiles to be virtually identical, but the Weller had more of a bite in the palate and the finish - whereas the VW Lot B, after a little bite on the tip of the tongue, was smooth the rest of the way.

I gotta get another bottle of WL12 soon and do a blind side by side. I find this fact both interesting and upsetting. Luckily I didn't spend much at all for the Lot B.

3 minutes ago, SebastianLloyd said:

I gotta get another bottle of WL12 soon and do a blind side by side. I find this fact both interesting and upsetting. Luckily I didn't spend much at all for the Lot B.

Well, you may very well find that your tasting experience may be different from ours - one thing I have found in this "hobby" is that you really have to try something for yourself to really determine if you like it or not.  I love reading reviews, and probably rely on them more than I should. A few months ago, I read a glowing review for "Blonde" whiskey by a well published reviewer who gave it 3-stars out of four.  I ran right out and bought a bottle.  My first taste (and last) was that of bland, dry hay - it was hideous to me.  Gave a taste to my wife, she actually had to spit it out.  I poured the entire $40 bottle down the drain.  Lesson learned lol.

10 hours ago, starhopper said:

A few months ago, I read a glowing review for "Blonde" whiskey by a well published reviewer who gave it 3-stars out of four.  I ran right out and bought a bottle.  My first taste (and last) was that of bland, dry hay - it was hideous to me.  Gave a taste to my wife, she actually had to spit it out.  I poured the entire $40 bottle down the drain.  Lesson learned lol.

Aw, that's a sad story.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎48‎:‎28‎, starhopper said:

Well, you may very well find that your tasting experience may be different from ours - one thing I have found in this "hobby" is that you really have to try something for yourself to really determine if you like it or not.  I love reading reviews, and probably rely on them more than I should. A few months ago, I read a glowing review for "Blonde" whiskey by a well published reviewer who gave it 3-stars out of four.  I ran right out and bought a bottle.  My first taste (and last) was that of bland, dry hay - it was hideous to me.  Gave a taste to my wife, she actually had to spit it out.  I poured the entire $40 bottle down the drain.  Lesson learned lol.

Time to embrace the wonderful world of cocktails. Even relatively bad whiskey can be lifted up to a higher calling (or just plain covered up) by some kind of mixer, thus saving you the $40 and having to commit alcohol abuse by pouring it down the drain!

Also, I've found many cases where a bottle I opened was disappointing, only to find a few months it had changed quite a bit for the better in the bottle and become enjoyable. Same with good bottles that in time become better yet, so I'd be pretty hard pressed to dump a bottle right off the bat (and as mentioned, may be good for cocktails, or maybe serving to relatives you want to leave).

Btw, hi. First post I think. Joined last year actually, just couldn't sit on the sidelines and read about whiskey being poured down a drain.

3 hours ago, ryesenseofhumor said:

Btw, hi. First post I think. Joined last year actually, just couldn't sit on the sidelines and read about whiskey being poured down a drain.

great reason for a first post, and welcome! 

20 years ago I liked the Van Winkle whiskies enough to buy them by the case.  Today I wouldn't chase one down even if it only meant a drive across town.  Except for the Rye of course, for that one I would even get out in the rain.

Good idea, Joe (and good to see you posting, Squire).  I'm with Squire - I bought Lot B in bunches up to about 2005 when prices went up and it became scarce and its taste changed.  Now, I do keep my eyes and ears open but only for MSRPs in real stores.

Yeah, the bottle design has definitely gone from highly individual to Euro standard.  Maybe I'll live long enough to see the retro reissue.

Having sworn off the chase for PVW, this year I amazingly fell into 4 bottles (15, 12, 2-10s) without even asking for them.  I know it's all BT juice now, but still, rather astonished at what has happened.

Well...have not had the pleasure of tasting a PVW yet. I saw a few bottles in a Bottle King near me and a Grand Opening Liquors. They were not shelved with the other bourbons for sale, they were locked up in the " High End " cabinet. When I looked at the price tag, my eyebrows went up about 6 inches and I made an about face and went back to the bourbon section to make my selection.

Now, I've heard/read  many opinions and online reviews of PVW. Seems to generate a lot of publicity and recognition. As a newer bourbon drinker, I've limited my price tag to $50 or less for a bottle of bourbon right now. Paying what I consider a small car payment for a bottle of bourbon just hasn't intrigued me enough to shell out that kind of money. 

Now, if by chance some fella in a bar wants to buy me a PVW or serves it at home while I'm a guest, sure I'm definitely going to accept and try the stuff...after all, I got to see what all the hooha is about!

1 hour ago, Stew said:

Well...have not had the pleasure of tasting a PVW yet. I saw a few bottles in a Bottle King near me and a Grand Opening Liquors. They were not shelved with the other bourbons for sale, they were locked up in the " High End " cabinet. When I looked at the price tag, my eyebrows went up about 6 inches and I made an about face and went back to the bourbon section to make my selection.

Now, I've heard/read  many opinions and online reviews of PVW. Seems to generate a lot of publicity and recognition. As a newer bourbon drinker, I've limited my price tag to $50 or less for a bottle of bourbon right now. Paying what I consider a small car payment for a bottle of bourbon just hasn't intrigued me enough to shell out that kind of money. 

Now, if by chance some fella in a bar wants to buy me a PVW or serves it at home while I'm a guest, sure I'm definitely going to accept and try the stuff...after all, I got to see what all the hooha is about!

Pasting this here to get everything back into the main thread.

I don't have a wealth of experience with PVW and the like, but I would definitely say giving away the farm for it isn't worth it. I think it's a great bourbon (speaking about the 15, the only one I've had), and one of the easiest-drinking and definitely most well-rounded of the wheaters, but there are so many other good ones out there (the Weller line, MMCS, etc.) that I'd concentrate on them until you have the luck of happening upon a bottle (or pour) of PVW for a decent price. Personally, I'd consider coughing up at max $200 for a bottle of Pappy (and only that high because realistically if I found it for $200 I may never see it again, nor at a price that low), but that would be a one-time purchase. I think sub-$100 is where it should be priced, so I think your idea of staying away from the higher price tags is a good one.

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

According to the PA lottery there were about 8600 entries in the lottery, at least for the 23 year. 

On the one hand, that is a lot of people after a few bottles. On the other hand, that is one entry for about every 1500 PA residents. 

As far as demand goes there were about 3500 entries for BTAC and 1500 for Four Roses LE. 

This is all about the PVWs.  I am not seeking them.  But, I did see four people at a bar at lunch doing shots of PVW 15 at $35 a pop.  I left just as they were finishing their fourth round.  That was $560 not including tax and tip.  I wonder who was paying for it . . .

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

This is all about the PVWs.  I am not seeking them.  But, I did see four people at a bar at lunch doing shots of PVW 15 at $35 a pop.  I left just as they were finishing their fourth round.  That was $560 not including tax and tip.  I wonder who was paying for it . . .

By 'doing shots', do you mean, boom down the hatch type of shots? 

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

That was $560 not including tax and tip.  I wonder who was paying for it . . .

The client....

Steve - One guy was shooting, the others took at least a few minutes per one ounce shot.  The fast shooter and another guy were arguing pro golf.  The two savor-ers paid no attention and appeared to be zenning separately - each on his and her own.   All four had on suits (in 2015!!) so like GrPeMi & Squire I figure a client got a bill for a business lunch or an employer got a bill for a business development lunch.  Forty years of working in Washington, and that's the first time I was shocked SHOCKED at what somebody was spending on lunch.

I got a Pappy 20 a couple of weeks ago from a local store that had me on their waiting list for 3 years...was pretty dang funny as I had forgotten I was even on their list.  You gotta love the VA system.  Apparently they honor their list to the point that if I had not come to pick it up they were going to send it back to Richmond rather than sell it to another customer.  

Whilst talking with the lady at the store we chatted about the Van Winkle stupidity, and she told me about a guy that showed up before the store opened one morning.  Apparently he was following a truck that he somehow found out had ORVW 10 on it, and caught the lady before the store opened to see if he could buy it.  She asked if he was on her list, and when he said no she told him she couldn't sell it to him.  He got ticked and got on the horn with Richmond, but to no avail.  Wow man, following trucks around...I got better things to do with my time.

Oh yeah, and I also found out that the list thing is apparently coming to an end.  I guess the stores will get what they get and have to put in on the shelf where it's going to be on a first come first serve basis...boy that ought to be fun for the folks running the stores. I can see them getting tons of calls and possibly some "black Friday" type brawls...I think I'll try to find out when stuff is coming in so I can avoid going to the stores on those days.

• 2 weeks later...

I've stopped following many things Van Winkle over the years and focused on other labels and distilleries, but after some brief research on the VWFRR (the rye) it seems this is still the vatted rye from the 80s. Do we know why BT hasn't been putting the remainder of the tanked rye into Saz 18 and filled the VWFRR with true BT-made 13 yr old rye? Or is it a blend now anyway?

1 hour ago, jinenjo said:

I've stopped following many things Van Winkle over the years and focused on other labels and distilleries, but after some brief research on the VWFRR (the rye) it seems this is still the vatted rye from the 80s. Do we know why BT hasn't been putting the remainder of the tanked rye into Saz 18 and filled the VWFRR with true BT-made 13 yr old rye? Or is it a blend now anyway?

No one's saying what's really in the VWFRR, and I'm sure that they would prefer that we not know.

21 hours ago, amg said:

No one's saying what's really in the VWFRR, and I'm sure that they would prefer that we not know.

Harlan Wheatley said very matter-of-factly at a public bourbon dinner I attended a couple of years ago that VWFRR was already a blend of the 2 presumed tanked ryes and 13yo BT rye at that time and the implication was that it was likely to be more and more BT rye over time. I know this because I was the one that asked him about it. The fact that he answered it so directly actually surprised me a little!

When it will be all BT rye was not clear but it seems likely it will be sooner rather than later.  

I suspect that you are correct that they are perfectly happy not to be any more specific about its content going forward!

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Harlan Wheatley said very matter-of-factly at a public bourbon dinner I attended a couple of years ago that VWFRR was already a blend of the 2 presumed tanked ryes and 13yo BT rye at that time and the implication was that it was likely to be more and more BT rye over time. I know this because I was the one that asked him about it. The fact that he answered it so directly actually surprised me a little!

When it will be all BT rye was not clear but it seems likely it will be sooner rather than later.  

I suspect that you are correct that they are perfectly happy not to be any more specific about its content going forward!

Interesting. Is it sad that I'm surprised when distillers are so forthcoming with information like that?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.