About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Looks like they have a single Saz 18 (green seal, top middle) in there. That's the one I'd go for!

Still, that's a mighty treasure hoard on that hoky little folding table. All it takes is one idiot and that raffle is dunzo'd.

I figure this is the right thread for this fun little game...

The local shop that does a bourbon/rye raffle every winter posted this picture as a teaser for the event. Let's see if we can identify all the bottles:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21822&stc=1

Here's what I spied (highlight to uncover):

Lot B - 6

ORVW10 - 11

VW Rye - 1

PVW20 - 2

PVW23 - 1

Baby Saz - 3

OWA - 4?

W12 - 4

GTS - 3

WLW - 3

Sazerac 18 - 1

1792 Sweet Wheat or Port Finished - 4

JD SB BP - 5?

Jefferson's Ocean - 1

Yamazaki 12 yr - 1

WT Diamond - ?

FRSmB LE 2015?

Some wooden box behind the ORVW10, another next to the Baby Saz, and another box to the far left. Mystery!

One of the things blind tastings have taught me is that one's taste is not constant---a whiskey I loved in one tasting may just get a "meh" in another tasting a few weeks later, and vice versa.

I know this from eyes wide open tasting and from being honest with myself despite the name on the label. I imagine it's only more true tasting blind.

I know this from eyes wide open tasting and from being honest with myself despite the name on the label. I imagine it's only more true tasting blind.

My wife starts me off most nights with a blind taste test... Even when she tells me what shelf it came from (top=high, middle=dusty, bottom=current readily available) my correct guess rate is abysmal. It is very humbling. Especially since I do comparison flights almost every night. Maybe I have a crappy palate.

dd3c7c85f1265a1445afb055c4d728ec.jpg

This is a SMALL store in the middle of nowhere NC that received 3 bottles of ORVW 10 yr and did the right thing by drawing from a group of names. You had to be present to win. They were proud to have the bottles and put on a good drawing with confetti popped off for each person who got a bottle.

Approximately 25 people there for the drawing again in this out of the way place.

No I didn't win a chance to buy but I did get notice that I have a bottle waiting for me in another store.

dd3c7c85f1265a1445afb055c4d728ec.jpg

This is a SMALL store in the middle of nowhere NC that received 3 bottles of ORVW 10 yr and did the right thing by drawing from a group of names. You had to be present to win. They were proud to have the bottles and put on a good drawing with confetti popped off for each person who got a bottle.

Approximately 25 people there for the drawing again in this out of the way place.

No I didn't win a chance to buy but I did get notice that I have a bottle waiting for me in another store.

The grand opening of the ABC Liquor store in SE Orlando last Thursday had a raffle for a PVW 10 and my buddy won it. Lucky guy!

Huh! Even after swearing off any efforts at all to snag any Pappy this year, one is falling into my lap. Whooda thunk it???

My favorite purveyor of spirits (for whom I've done several favors, and from whom I've received several more) just called me up and offered my choice of any one bottle of VW.

He started naming off the 10-years, Lot B, 15-year; at which point I stopped him and said I'd take one of the 15's off his hands (just so it won't collect dust on his shelf, ya know).

He said Okey Dokey, and I'm to pick it up tomorrow. I asked how many of what, he was allotted. He had 1-each of all the ages of VWFR, 2-each of the Lot B and Old Rips. I was surprised to hear he had all of 'em, and if truth is to be told, that he called this late in the game having ANY. The BTAC came and went almost a month ago, so I gave up hearing of any Pappy this year.

I entered no lotteries, and put my name on no lists; yet I am blessed with a bottle. Life is good!

This once again proves the wisdom passed to me by my dear departed Grandpa Harbourne; "It's always better to be lucky than clever". He went on to explain how many smart people he knew that didn't always do well, and observed that the ones that made out the best were always the lucky ones. I know, kinda inductive reasoning; but faultlessly true, nonetheless.

Stopped by my favorite local shop a few weeks ago just to see if he had anything new in stock. I was happily surprised to see a half dozen bottles of Weller 12 yr sitting on the shelf for $25 each. Took home 3 then let a couple buddies know and they dropped by shortly afterwards and picked up the remaining bottles. I was a happy guy with my good timing and good fortune... Little did I know it would get even better!

The shop owner called me this past weekend to offer me my choice of ORVW or Lot B. I told him I'd be there within the hour for the Lot B. Talking with him as I paid my $90 he said he was happy to be able to reward my patronage and for always sending business his way!

To top it off, he called me this morning to let me know he got in more Weller 12 yr and a couple cases of Weller Antique! Life is good!

Happy Thanksgiving fellow bourbonites!

Got an email from Green's in Atlanta. Tomorrow is their "Pappy" release.

We are releasing Pappy on Friday, Nov. 27th. Ponce will open at 9am & Buford will open at 8am.

First come, first serve

-

limited to 1 BOTTLE PER PERSON

. No holding spots & no pick-ups for friends. Supplies are

VERY LIMITED

[h=3]FAQ's:[/h]

Can I pick up a bottle for a friend? No, you may not buy a bottle for someone else.

Can I hold someone's place in line? No, you may not.

Can I have one of each kind? No, one bottle TOTAL per person. This includes all Pappy and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles.

How many bottles are available? We do not release our allocation numbers online. There will be a handout at each location listing the bottles available for purchase.

What are the chances I'll be camped out overnight to get a bottle at an unspecified price? ABSOLUTELY ZERO

I am considering running by there around 7:30 a.m. tomorrow to take a pic of the cold tired flippers in line....
ah, more fun, finding bourbon revenge

I am considering running by there around 7:30 a.m. tomorrow to take a pic of the cold tired flippers in line....

I don't even want to think about it. However, I guess I would prefer waiting in line for a great whiskey instead of a $150 television. Not!

I did check out their Facebook page. They posted some on the prices which weren't too bad.

I don't even want to think about it. However, I guess I would prefer waiting in line for a great whiskey instead of a $150 television. Not!

I did check out their Facebook page. They posted some on the prices which weren't too bad.

I looked on facebook and on their website and didn't see any prices on BTAC or Van Winkle. Guess it doesn't make any difference as I'm not sitting all night for any of them.

The prices were included in replies to comments. I seem to recall the range between $69.99 and $249.99. People kept asking if they had WL12. One person asked if they had at least 100 bottles.

Daughter and son-in-law from Columbus came for Thanksgiving. He said Weiland's had an allocation of two bottles of Pappy which they sold via lottery. Next year, if they get any, the plan is to issue one ticket for every can of food you donate to their feed-the-hungry drive. Would have done it this year but thought of it too late. They should get tons of creamed corn in exchange for that liquefied corn.

Daughter and son-in-law from Columbus came for Thanksgiving. He said Weiland's had an allocation of two bottles of Pappy which they sold via lottery. Next year, if they get any, the plan is to issue one ticket for every can of food you donate to their feed-the-hungry drive. Would have done it this year but thought of it too late. They should get tons of creamed corn in exchange for that liquefied corn.

BPS inDayton received 1 PVW 15, in 2011, they had 6.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21876&stc=1 For down the road a ways........this is my second set, the first one is for whomever inherits my 50 ml collection, this set is for me....someday when all my 750's are empty and prices are equivalent to gold. That may be sooner than later!

post-10789-14489822985736_thumb.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=21876&stc=1 For down the road a ways........this is my second set, the first one is for whomever inherits my 50 ml collection, this set is for me....someday when all my 750's are empty and prices are equivalent to gold. That may be sooner than later!

Will you adopt me?

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎25‎:‎24‎, Tony Santana said:

Will you adopt me?

Anything's negotiable Tony!

On another note I just got a call from my bro, he was at a bourbon auction and gave me a call for some advice, PVW 20 sold for $700, one EC18 went for $150 and he bought the other one for $140 -- which isn't too bad, I told him to go home and crack that sucka! Some others like PVW15 went for over $300, GTS - $200, WLW --$180, supposedly proceeds are going to some food pantry, but this is a store that in the past sold these for a little bit more than msrp, but this year they had nothing and now we know why. I guarantee we will never see these out in the wild again by this store, now that they know what they can get for them... It's just getting stupid ridicules!!! Will it ever stop? With these kind of prices it makes a person think about depleting his bunker..but then again it's only money, I can always get more of that stuff, but good whisky? Some of you guys with the bunkers that I've seen surely must be thinking the same....

I whiffed on Pappy this year for the first time in a few years. I have decided because of more stores following this extreme price hike thought process, once I empty the multiple bottles I have open now, I will go to just one open at a time. Hopefully I have enough supply to last thru this insane period and can pick up again on the other side. If not, I will enjoy them for as long as they last.

7 hours ago, SebastianLloyd said:

Is it true that Lot B is the exact same as WL Weller 12yr?

Essentially.  Different barrel selection (and possibly aging location even within the same warehouse).

2 hours ago, dcbt said:

Essentially.  Different barrel selection (and possibly aging location even within the same warehouse).

My wife and I just did a side-by-side tasting of the 2015 VW Lot B and Weller 12 two nights ago.  We found the flavor profiles to be virtually identical, but the Weller had more of a bite in the palate and the finish - whereas the VW Lot B, after a little bite on the tip of the tongue, was smooth the rest of the way.

It was our very first taste of the VW 12 Lot B (or any Van Winkle for that matter). A friend of ours allowed us to have some of his Lot B.  I'm glad we had some, because now we don't have this crazy burning desire to pursue a bottle of it no matter what - we are satisfied that we had some, and can now move on with more practical acquisitions.

We both agree that spending $400-$800 on a bottle of it (going rate here in Middle GA) is just not worth the small step up in taste from Weller 12.

Of course, it goes without saying that if we could find it for retail, or even twice retail, we would certainly buy it.

Edited by starhopper

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.