About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was browsing walmart.com, looking to see what bourbon gift sets they have available and saw that they had PVW15 and 20 listed. Of course it was out of stock, but, in reality they must get some allocation if it is on the website. Not to get any hopes up, but, somebody could randomly find PVW at Walmart of all places.

I was browsing walmart.com, looking to see what bourbon gift sets they have available and saw that they had PVW15 and 20 listed. Of course it was out of stock, but, in reality they must get some allocation if it is on the website. Not to get any hopes up, but, somebody could randomly find PVW at Walmart of all places.

Just heard today of a local guy who picked up a 15yr at MSRP at a Sam's Club yesterday. Apparently, it just landed here.

Just heard today of a local guy who picked up a 15yr at MSRP at a Sam's Club yesterday. Apparently, it just landed here.

Wow, that's crazy!

I just got the following email from ABC Fine Wine & Spirits in Florida from their limited bourbon lottery program -

"Congratulations! You have been selected in our 2015 lottery drawing for the opportunity to purchase the following bottle from our limited bourbon program:

2014 Pappy Van Winkle 12 year bourbon – $69.99 "

Needless to say, I'm excited! [emoji2]

I just got the following email from ABC Fine Wine & Spirits in Florida from their limited bourbon lottery program -

"Congratulations! You have been selected in our 2015 lottery drawing for the opportunity to purchase the following bottle from our limited bourbon program:

excellent news indeed! congrats!

Congratulations I'm still trying to win the right to purchase something from the Van Winkle lineup. My luck has to change a some point.

I probably wouldn't stand in line these days even if I lived in the area but always interesting to see what we SHOULD be paying for the PVW lineup courtesy of the Party Source.

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year Old 107 Proof - $41.99

Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 Year Old Lot B - $49.99

Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year Old 107 Proof - $67.95

Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old - $125.99

Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year Old - $221.99

Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Rye - $83.99

Had a visit today with one of my local stores to pick up a case of whiskey I ordered. The owner said he had some PVW20 and ORVW10 coming in soon and they had my name on them. I ask what the price will be for both bottles. He said he would do me a deal for $1000. I say no thanks and that I wouldn't even pay half that for both of them. He looked at me confused and said the PVW20 was worth more than $1000 alone on the secondary market. I said that I could pay that price without him having any of my business. He says well what do you think is fair. I say $250 for both of them. He then says well I was just guessing at the prices earlier and that he'll rethink it over. Don't know what will happen, but we will see. Either way this is ridiculous.

Had a visit today with one of my local stores to pick up a case of whiskey I ordered. The owner said he had some PVW20 and ORVW10 coming in soon and they had my name on them. I ask what the price will be for both bottles. He said he would do me a deal for $1000. I say no thanks and that I wouldn't even pay half that for both of them. He looked at me confused and said the PVW20 was worth more than $1000 alone on the secondary market. I said that I could pay that price without him having any of my business. He says well what do you think is fair. I say $250 for both of them. He then says well I was just guessing at the prices earlier and that he'll rethink it over. Don't know what will happen, but we will see. Either way this is ridiculous.

i hope he at least gave you a fair price on the full case.

No. He has been more than fair for a long time. This is what baffles me. I think the hype train will ultimately destroy these great spirits!

I can literally buy 18 bottles of my absolute favorite whiskey for what he thinks the PVW20 is worth. Next day order with no line.

Yep. I told him that too. It was like his brain went poof!

This whole Pappy business reeks. I'm really getting tired of the whole mess. I've spent thousands of dollars grooming my local liquor merchants in hopes of being granted the right to buy this overpriced bourbon. I think next year I'm going to get over the fact that I'm never going to get a bottle and spend the money on paying off my credit card debt.

This whole Pappy business reeks. I'm really getting tired of the whole mess. I've spent thousands of dollars grooming my local liquor merchants in hopes of being granted the right to buy this overpriced bourbon. I think next year I'm going to get over the fact that I'm never going to get a bottle and spend the money on paying off my credit card debt.

Playing devil's advocate...something to think about:

1. It's really just too late to be getting in good with a liquor store owner. The people who are in good got in good years ago. Trying to butter them up nowadays means you're the 57th person or so in line at best behind all the existing regulars.

2. How much money do you spend (in excess) trying to get in good? If you are just spending what you would have normally spent (i.e. on regular bottles for consumption and the purchases you want) that's fine, but are you spending needlessly in the hopes of getting in good?

In other words, while we frequently decry it, the secondary market does have its advantages. If you really want that bottle of Pappy...it's out there...and probably cheaper in total to just spend the money on secondary price than to spend thousands at a liquor store trying to earn the right to buy it at retail.

No. He has been more than fair for a long time. This is what baffles me. I think the hype train will ultimately destroy these great spirits!

!

One of the stores near me has sold it for MSRP for years. This year they finally broke. Said they have people calling constantly and offering to pay hundreds-to-thousands and they can't justify the hassle for MSRP anymore. I don't really blame them.

One of the stores near me has sold it for MSRP for years. This year they finally broke. Said they have people calling constantly and offering to pay hundreds-to-thousands and they can't justify the hassle for MSRP anymore. I don't really blame them.

Yeah, something has to give, sometime soon, I'd think. I feel like the situation is rapidly approaching the point where a lot of "true" bourbon fans are going to give up on Pappy. As someone who has only tasted the 15 (and thought it was great, but not $600 great) and has never had a bottle, I want one for my collection, but realistically will never have one at this rate. This is something the craft beer community is experiencing quite a bit with some of the bigger releases, and the general feeling seems to be "if you can get it, great, if not, you have about a million other awesome options." I feel the same here. I might not be able to grab a bottle of Pappy, but I keep finding bourbons that make me really happy at both a lower price point, and that are much easier to get a hold of (Four Roses single barrels and Stagg Jr.'s latest releases come to mind), which makes it really hard to justify the Pappy hunt.

It's a shame, really. MSRP on the PVW stuff is pretty damn reasonable, but it's a moot point now.

Playing devil's advocate...something to think about:

In other words, while we frequently decry it, the secondary market does have its advantages. If you really want that bottle of Pappy...it's out there...and probably cheaper in total to just spend the money on secondary price than to spend thousands at a liquor store trying to earn the right to buy it at retail.

Only makes sense if your over-riding goal is to get a bottle of Pappy. Otherwise, those thousands of dollars you spent - while not a guarantee of getting that bottle - have presumably bought you thousands of dollars worth of good-to-great liquor. I'd rather have a well-stocked bunker with a variety of very drinkable bourbons than the memory of a few bottles that I drank as I went along and a shining new bottle of Pappy 20 sitting on the shelf that I'm reluctant to open because I spent a grand on it (while feathering a flipper's nest in the bargain).

Only makes sense if your over-riding goal is to get a bottle of Pappy. Otherwise, those thousands of dollars you spent - while not a guarantee of getting that bottle - have presumably bought you thousands of dollars worth of good-to-great liquor. I'd rather have a well-stocked bunker with a variety of very drinkable bourbons than the memory of a few bottles that I drank as I went along and a shining new bottle of Pappy 20 sitting on the shelf that I'm reluctant to open because I spent a grand on it (while feathering a flipper's nest in the bargain).

Yup, this is my problem with paying aftermarket prices, as well. Getting to know people at a liquor store/earning their trust/trying lots of their products sounds much more attractive to me than paying some greedy flipper $1000. Not to mention this way, I'm also not contributing to the Pappy secondary market problem, either. It's clearly not as effective to do the former as it is to do the latter, but I feel much better about it.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. They are to blame. Fortunately some guys haven't BROKE and they will get my business!

Loyalty is something that personally means everything to me. I live a very rich lifestyle! And I don't mean money wise...

I will admit those thousands spent trying to win my local liquor merchants favor has gotten me a nice bunker of great bourbons. It's also a very good probability that if I did get a Van Winkle offering I'd be hesitant to open it because in the back of my mind I would figure I would never be lucky enough to get another one. Same with the Antique Collection. I think next year I'll concentrate on my favorites which I can get, pay down my credit card and during Pappy Season use a bit of my savings to enjoy a nice steak and a glass of Pappy.

I will admit those thousands spent trying to win my local liquor merchants favor has gotten me a nice bunker of great bourbons. It's also a very good probability that if I did get a Van Winkle offering I'd be hesitant to open it because in the back of my mind I would figure I would never be lucky enough to get another one. Same with the Antique Collection. I think next year I'll concentrate on my favorites which I can get, pay down my credit card and during Pappy Season use a bit of my savings to enjoy a nice steak and a glass of Pappy.

Hey man, essentially my only qualification as a financial advisor is that I don't have any debt, but if you have credit card debt my admittedly unsolicited advice is to drink down the bunker, pay down the debt and don't worry about finding a bottle of Pappy. That credit card interest is an albatross.

Hey man, essentially my only qualification as a financial advisor is that I don't have any debt, but if you have credit card debt my admittedly unsolicited advice is to drink down the bunker, pay down the debt and don't worry about finding a bottle of Pappy. That credit card interest is an albatross.

Sounds like good advice. I hope to get it under control in 2016. I will be cutting back on bourbon next year now that I've made up my mind to quit pursuing "The White Whale".

I know red wine aficionados who have never tasted a Romanee Conti and because of price never will. I don't think their lives are diminished one whit by that fact.

Far, far, too many really good Bourbons under $25 out there to ever have to use a credit card.

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.