What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I also passed on the new Bourye today at $69. Curious to know the price around your neck of the woods.

Same price I believe.

Passed on OGD BIB in the new bottle at the new price. Now I'm gonna have to pay $14.95 even with my discount.

Passed on OGD BIB in the new bottle at the new price. Now I'm gonna have to pay $14.95 even with my discount.

How's your OGDBIB bunker stocked these days?

I thought I had found a replacement for my nearly-finished PHC wheat whiskey, but not at $399.99. The shop also had an interesting store selection OESQ...but not $139.99 worth of interesting. I didn't bother asking what they wanted for their Willetts on the top shelf.

Went in one of my stores during lunch and they were just restocking the shelves with Baby Saz @ $49.00. A couple of weeks ago I bought his last bottle for $34.99 so it was an easy pass. I love it but not ready to pay that for it today.

So as I was leaving he told he did get one bottle of CETH Cured Oak. It's $300 so another easy pass.

If some thirsty Atl member wants the location PM me.

I'm starting to think that this is the year I pass on all LE bottles and let someone else enjoy them.

baby saz is currently on sale at nearly every store here for $24.99 if its not on sale the regular price is $29.99. there seems to be no shortage of it here.

baby saz is currently on sale at nearly every store here for $24.99 if its not on sale the regular price is $29.99. there seems to be no shortage of it here.

WOW! at that price I would definitely pick up a couple. I passed on one in my area for $60

Hidden

It was painful, but I passed up a row of RHF at $39.99, as I have ample supplies at home already. Sometimes, I just gotta show some restraint.

Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope for $129.99.

I'm new to this game. Until about 6 months ago I was all WR, Knob Creek, and Makers. Should I got back and buy the Parker's Heritage?

I'm new to this game. Until about 6 months ago I was all WR, Knob Creek, and Makers. Should I got back and buy the Parker's Heritage?

That is not a bad price if you are looking for PHC7. It is not widely available and was a limited release in the first place when it came out a couple years ago. Most of the reviews I have seen say it is nice bourbon. It was originally MSRP at $90 or so I think.

Is it better than three $40 bottles, or four $30 bottles, or five $25 bottles? That is really the question and it depends on how important cash is to you and how much you value tasting a limited edition that is otherwise unavailable.

I have a bottle that I aquired in a trade that I have not opened yet. That scratches the itch for me. I know where there are more for $140 but I am not rushing out to buy another at this point.

Had to pass on a Van Winkle 12yo Lot "B" at $299.99

Well I passed on it too at $215.. that was in the UK!

Personally, I would pass. It's a great bourbon and I'd even consider buying another at or below MSRP because I drank a bottle and enjoyed it immensely, but the extra $40 makes it well beyond what I think it was worth. If you want to try something really tasty from the Heaven Hill family, I'd suggest Evan Williams Single Barrel, Henry McKenna 10 Bottled in Bond, or Elijah Craig 12 (depending on where you live, buying all 3 of those should cost you less). If you've had those and KNOW you enjoy the Heaven Hill profile and ARE ABSOLUTELY DYING TO TRY Promise of Hope, then go back and go for it.

Personally, I would pass. It's a great bourbon and I'd even consider buying another at or below MSRP because I drank a bottle and enjoyed it immensely, but the extra $40 makes it well beyond what I think it was worth. If you want to try something really tasty from the Heaven Hill family, I'd suggest Evan Williams Single Barrel, Henry McKenna 10 Bottled in Bond, or Elijah Craig 12 (depending on where you live, buying all 3 of those should cost you less). If you've had those and KNOW you enjoy the Heaven Hill profile and ARE ABSOLUTELY DYING TO TRY Promise of Hope, then go back and go for it.

Sage advice! EWSB, EC12 and HmK10 provide a nice variation on the HH profile! Personally, I think I would prefer to walk out with those 3 with some change left over than to pop $129 for the POH.

Thanks for the recommendation! I love Elijah Craig 12 but haven't had the chance to try Evan Williams Single Barrel or the Henry McKenna 10. Larceny is a personal favorite too, but obviously very different than the rye bourbons that Heaven Hill makes.

Thanks for the recommendation! I love Elijah Craig 12 but haven't had the chance to try Evan Williams Single Barrel or the Henry McKenna 10. Larceny is a personal favorite too, but obviously very different than the rye bourbons that Heaven Hill makes.

Very good recommendations from SB'ers here. For $129.99 you could get a wide range of bourbons from Heaven Hill.

I did a tasting last summer of:

1. Henry McKenna 10 Bottled in Bond

2. Elijah Craig 12

3. Evan Williams Single Barrel

4. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond

5. Old Heaven Hill 8 year

6. Old Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond

7. Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope

What that tasting revealed is that Heaven Hill makes great bourbon, and that while Parker's Heritage is a step above the others (more flavors, better mouthfeel, and longer finish, overall better balance), the other bourbons are no slouches. So yes you can buy a lot of Heaven Hill bourbon for $129.99! This would be a good choice if you are new to bourbon, buying many bottles from $20-30 will give you a great education as well as a lot of fun. However, Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope was a limited bottling and is hard to find, if not sold out. With all that said, if it were me, I'd ask the store if they would go down in the price a bit, and buy that. My reasoning is that you can always find Elijah Craig 12 or Evan Williams Single Barrel, but Promise of Hope not so much!

It's also worth noting that Promise of Hope was a Single Barrel offering (without any identifying information), so your mileage will vary. I'd also want the poster asking about PoH to understand some caveats: My bottle of PoH was not good until I accidentally left the top off of it for about 8 days, about 80% fill level. Then it was amazing. So for 80% of an amazing bottle, I paid $90, or $70 plus the built in $20 donation. 100% of every henry mckenna 10 bib bottle I've had has been delicious, and each has brought me about 90% of the enjoyment I got out of Promise of Hope, if not more. So I personally have a hard time justifying 110 extra dollars for a bottle of bourbon that is maybe slightly more enjoyable, if a different riff on the heaven hill profile. My fake statistical analysis will vary slightly based on which of the three I recommended we are discussing, but they all come out to a lot of money for a slightly better bourbon. Hence my recommendation that CA consider cheaper options instead if he hasn't had them. A few years from now, I don't think many of us are going to lament PoH as the amazing release that will never again be experienced, but I realize that I speak from the benefit of that experience. So spend the money or don't, just please consider that the benefits of LIMITED EDITION are often marginal, especially to those with limited budgetary means.

It's also worth noting that Promise of Hope was a Single Barrel offering (without any identifying information), so your mileage will vary. I'd also want the poster asking about PoH to understand some caveats: My bottle of PoH was not good until I accidentally left the top off of it for about 8 days, about 80% fill level. Then it was amazing. So for 80% of an amazing bottle, I paid $90, or $70 plus the built in $20 donation. 100% of every henry mckenna 10 bib bottle I've had has been delicious, and each has brought me about 90% of the enjoyment I got out of Promise of Hope, if not more. So I personally have a hard time justifying 110 extra dollars for a bottle of bourbon that is maybe slightly more enjoyable, if a different riff on the heaven hill profile. My fake statistical analysis will vary slightly based on which of the three I recommended we are discussing, but they all come out to a lot of money for a slightly better bourbon. Hence my recommendation that CA consider cheaper options instead if he hasn't had them. A few years from now, I don't think many of us are going to lament PoH as the amazing release that will never again be experienced, but I realize that I speak from the benefit of that experience. So spend the money or don't, just please consider that the benefits of LIMITED EDITION are often marginal, especially to those with limited budgetary means.

I totally agree with what you're saying, POH is a fine bourbon, but not earth shatteringly good. You can get 80-90% there with Henry McKenna BIB. For me, I didn't want to beat myself up over missing the POH release so I bought 2 bottles, again you'll get close to that flavor with the other offerings with significant savings.

Almost sprung for this one but decided not to -

[ATTACH]20735[/ATTACH]

I saw that at the store the other day and this popped into my mind:

Almost sprung for this one but decided not to -

[ATTACH]20735[/ATTACH]

$10 cheaper than I saw it but still would be a pass.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!