What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on JD Sinatra Select @ $199, one lonely bottle of Stagg Jr (132.2 or 134.2...can't remember which), SA Contradiction at 30 something, JB BIB aaaaaaaaaaaand...........Forgiven!:grin:

Passed on a ECBP and Corsair Quinoa and went with a few cheaper bottles instead.

FRYL 1.75ltr @ $24.97 . . . advertised special at a local chain . . . have some on hand, but this is tempting.

I passed on two Orphan Barrel Lost Prophet's at ~$125, am I making a mistake? Should I go back and grab them? As long as there is some sweetness, and viscosity to balance out the wood, I am in...

Passed on JD Sinatra Select @ $199, one lonely bottle of Stagg Jr (132.2 or 134.2...can't remember which), SA Contradiction at 30 something, JB BIB aaaaaaaaaaaand...........Forgiven!:grin:

I might have given Contradiction a go if it were the mid-30s. If nothing else, but to address my curiosity. I have told local liquor stores that would be happy to help them move a bottle of Forgiven, if they put it on sale in the mid-30s as well. What can I say? I am a curious fellow sometimes.

Elmer T Lee for $82!!

There is a store around here where it's on the shelf at $31, or at least it was a couple weeks ago. Same store clerk told me in hushed tones that "we have some Angel's Envy in the back room, keep it on the down low."

i passed on both, FWIW. Picked up an OC101 instead.

Edited by ken_mays

Having already bought a few bottles this week, passed on a ton of things today. CEHT Single Barrel, all of orphan barrel releases, all the Stagg jr releases, and many more. I discovered a new favorite store apparently untouched by the bourbon boom.

I might have given Contradiction a go if it were the mid-30s. If nothing else, but to address my curiosity. I have told local liquor stores that would be happy to help them move a bottle of Forgiven, if they put it on sale in the mid-30s as well. What can I say? I am a curious fellow sometimes.

As am I! The Contradiction was fairly priced @ 30 something. I just couldn't get past the fact that it's 2 year old bourbon married with MGP rye.

Hell, I've already got plenty of MGP rye around here to work with (and a few bourbons too:lol:)!

Passed on the new EH Taylor Release @ $69. Kind of an unknown product, basically no reviews to go off so I couldn't justify the purchase.

Passed on the new EH Taylor Release @ $69. Kind of an unknown product, basically no reviews to go off so I couldn't justify the purchase.

If it's the Cured Oak, I would go get it.

If it's the Cured Oak, I would go get it.

It'll probably be gone by the time he gets back to it.

I passed on two Orphan Barrel Lost Prophet's at ~$125, am I making a mistake? Should I go back and grab them? As long as there is some sweetness, and viscosity to balance out the wood, I am in...

Hit a few spots today. One for the first time in a while. Everything rare was behind a glass case and priced at secondhand market. How a large chain store can gouge so far beyond MSRP like this, while keeping support from Buffalo Trace blows my mind. (This specific place has a constant supply of regular BT, Blanton's, W12 and OWA which I used to buy here back in the day.)

The best part is the Weller 12 750s are in the regular section, but priced at $44.95. The Weller 12 1.75L are value priced at $89.95. Brand new stock.

In the case:

Elmer T. Lee - $49.95

E.H. Taylor Sour Mash - $79.95

E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof - $79.95

2014 BTAC Thomas Handy - $299.95

ORVW10 - $249.95

VW12 Lot B - $299.95

Hit a few spots today. One for the first time in a while. Everything rare was behind a glass case and priced at secondhand market. How a large chain store can gouge so far beyond MSRP like this, while keeping support from Buffalo Trace blows my mind. (This specific place has a constant supply of regular BT, Blanton's, W12 and OWA which I used to buy here back in the day.)

The best part is the Weller 12 750s are in the regular section, but priced at $44.95. The Weller 12 1.75L are value priced at $89.95. Brand new stock.

In the case:

Elmer T. Lee - $49.95

ORVW10 - $249.95

VW12 Lot B - $299.95

Id love to get my hands on that EH Taylor Sour Mash, any chance you are going back there?

Edited by swhitworth77

Passed . . .

Contradiction $59.99

OWA $21.99 (Wow, on the shelf for three weeks in a row! Crisis over....)

Elmer T. Lee - $49.95

ORVW10 - $249.95

VW12 Lot B - $299.95

The CEHTBP is right on par with what I saw around even last year. The others, though, yea, not so much.

Not as bad as the 15 year version for 70 bucks or whatever at...86 proof. I was interested until I found out that little nugget.

I was interested in the 15 YO myself, but i was expecting it to be somewhere around $50.

Have you actually seen it on the shelf at $70?

Id love to get my hands on that EH Taylor Sour Mash, any chance you are going back there?

I was thinking the same thing. Had to check the date on his post...

I was interested in the 15 YO myself, but i was expecting it to be somewhere around $50.

Have you actually seen it on the shelf at $70?

No, but I also I haven't looked very hard. MSRP is $70 I read somewhere, though.

Edit, found the links with MSRPs (I was wrong, it's actually $75):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2015/03/31/iconic-bourbon-returns-to-u-s-whiskey-fans/

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2015/03/30/review-i-w-harper-bourbon-and-15-year-old-bourbon/

Edited by dcbt

went by a store somewhat far away from me, but they had a ton:

Baby Saz: $42.99 (they said it was a sale price from $49.99...)

WSR: $39.99

OWA: $39.99

W12 1.75l: $89.99

then noticed in the glass case they had:

Sazerac 18yr: $399.99

Handy Saz: $299.99

ORVW 10: $299.99 I think. they had a few others too, but it was gouging at that point I didn't even care to pay much attention to it.

I wanted to pick up the baby saz, but not at that price. I didn't want to support them and their gouging ways.

Not anything hard to find, but was interested to see yesterday that the James E Pepper 1776 Bourbon now has a 6 year age statement. It also shows distilled in IN on the back. Nice to see an age statement added along with the origin on the label, not sure when they added it to the bottle, but nice to see non the less. Still left it on the shelf, but may grab one at some point to try.

Not anything hard to find, but was interested to see yesterday that the James E Pepper 1776 Bourbon now has a 6 year age statement. It also shows distilled in IN on the back. Nice to see an age statement added along with the origin on the label, not sure when they added it to the bottle, but nice to see non the less. Still left it on the shelf, but may grab one at some point to try.

And how much are they asking for that one? They have always seemed a bit fond of the whiskey they didn't make...

And how much are they asking for that one? They have always seemed a bit fond of the whiskey they didn't make...

Honestly, I've forgotten in the 12 hours since I was in the store, it was around $30 I think, but it was in a store that is typically a few bucks high.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!