How Do You Store?

Hop
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Did some searching but didn't really find any topics or posts. Wondering what others do for storage solutions. Mainly thinking of bunkers but would love to see/hear everyone's ideas.

Good place to look is the show us your stash thread. Personally I use a siezed cabinet for my stash. In boxes on metal shelving is good for your bunker.

I turned a EuroCave that I found in the basement of my building into my bunker. Works fine, I guess someone did want to move it. Of course I needed to add some custom LED lighting. post-10781-14489821558747_thumb.jpg

post-10781-14489821557632_thumb.jpg

post-10781-14489821558204_thumb.jpg

I like to store in my basement, away from light, dark,cool. When you buy several bottles for special occasions, how to keep the corks safe I wonder if the corks dry out like with wine. Any thoughts?

I bought what was essentially a laundry cupboard - just a bit, white cabinet about 4 ft wide, 2 ft deep, and 5 ft tall. My biggest challenge was finding something with variable shelving that allowed me to fit the tall bottles without having to lose an entire shelf in the process. Standard sized bottles (thinking WT101, EWBL) it fits 120+. I keep it up stairs, and some light does hit the cabinet, but not the bottles (and it being white it doesn't get warm really). On corks, if I have a sealed bottle that I envision keeping sealed for several years, I'll wrap the top with Parafilm. I don't know if that will keep the cork from drying out, but the main goal is to cut evaporation loss. A busted cork is a pain, but only a minor inconvenience. Losing a quarter of a bottle of amazing whiskey is another thing :)

I keep most of open bottles out on my dresser, which has a couple of side/corner shelves on each end (about 40-bottles). After filling a couple of closet shelves (and floors) with my bunkered bottles, I was lucky enough to have my bride score me a low-boy cabinet at a garage sale for $20. It's nothing special, and the two shelves aren't very tall (allowing only B'Day Bourbon, HHSS, and a few other relatively short-stature offerings); but it has room for 52 bottles.... which is to say; it contains 52-bottles and actually has no extra room. That did allow me to open a bit of space in the closets, though. Now I can acquire .....MORE BOURBON!

I took a closet and put shelves in it. I have another closet on the other side for cellered beer and wine and whiskey overflow.

post-5814-14489821562553_thumb.jpg

I took a closet and put shelves in it. I have another closet on the other side for cellered beer and wine and whiskey overflow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19517[/ATTACH]

I like the use of the shoe hanger on the door!

I keep the bottles in my basement on a wire shelving unit. Like the things restaurants use. $100 at Sam's Club.

Keep on steel storage shelves in the basement for single bottles, others are in case boxes stashed around other areas of the basement. Nothing fancy but does the job.

Best regards, Tony

I keep the bottles in my basement on a wire shelving unit. Like the things restaurants use. $100 at Sam's Club.

I use these as well although as I have mentioned before the shelves are really more like baskets so that there is no risk of bumping it and knocking one or more bottles to the cold, cruel concrete floor below.

I use these as well although as I have mentioned before the shelves are really more like baskets so that there is no risk of bumping it and knocking one or more bottles to the cold, cruel concrete floor below.

This visual just made me cringe and now I'm going to have to redo my shelving strategy.

Open and "on deck" bottles are usually found under my bar. The rest, along with my cellared beers and wine, are in repurposed former wine boxes that are stacked on metal shelves. Both the bar and the storage room are in my basement, so it's easy to go from one to the other. I don't really have labels on any of the boxes, but wine is usually on the bottom, then whiskey with beer on the top row.

I have a couple of mostly full shelves in a closet in a guest bedroom. It's not fancy, but it keeps them away from prying eyes and hands. I also have a lot fewer bottles of bourbon and whisky than a lot of folks on here, though . . .

I started out with half a shelf of the china cabinet in the dining room, plus a couple of bottles in the cabinet above the frig. That expanded to a full shelf. Then two shelves. I don't think my wife will ever let me have the third. Glass doors, not in the sunlight.

Then I bought a 4 shelf storage unit in basement for the bunker/overflow. Almost all the open bottles are upstairs. Again, my wife claimed the top shelf. When those got full I confiscated another shelf in a different cabinet downstairs. Oh yeah, the 1.75's and Tennessee whiskeys are in a milk crate on the floor of the front hall closet.

So, counting the couple of bottles that are still above the frig, I only have them in 5 different places. Well, 6 if you count the lone bottle I have stashed in my office. But really, that's all.

Open bottles are on my bar. Reserves (unopened bottles that are dupes of opened bottles) are in the covered shelves under the bar (doors cover them). Unopened bottles that do not have an opened companion lie in waiting in the uncovered shelves (no doors covering the shelves) of the bar. Thus, all "unique" bottles are visible, with the open ones on the top of the bar and the unopened ones below them, and dupe bottles are covered under the bar.

I keep bourbon in a tall cabinet in the family room. Scotch is in lower cabinets under some bookshelves. Rye is in boxes in the basement. About 200 total bottles. Everything is out of direct light and kept at a constant inside temp. Open bottles of bourbon are on the kitchen counter, usually about 4, and scotch in a kitchen cabinet, usually about 6.

some in the garage, some in the cellar. Most of them are in liquor boxes, sitting upright. I have enough Dickel 9/KCSB/HH6BIB/HHBIB, and HH6/90 to get me through the zombie apocalypse. Of course, when that hits, it'd be easier to find BTAC/Pappy/ECBP and others than it is today anyway....

I have two book shelves 72" tall, 34" wide and 11" deep and one 53" tall in the middle. I get about 110 bottles on the shelves in single file, but some are two or three deep. The middle unit serves as the 'open bourbon' shelf with about 15 bottles at the ready. The open Canadians, Scotch, Irish, and world whiskies are accessible in an adjacent hutch; at last count 62 open bottles. Some 'keepers' are on top of the three taller units. All of this is kept along the wall beside the dining table. The units match the table set. It looks great, tastes great, and is not out of place. One hundred thirty-one different expressions and approximately two hundred sixty bottles in total. It took me 36 years to figure it out, but I got it right the first try. Twelve feet of heaven on earth.

I store in boxes in a spare room, not enough to warrant a special storage apparatus. I just stack the boxes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.