What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll be opening up two malts tonight: Kavalan King Car and Ardmore Traditional Cask. First up is the Kavalan King Car.

Nose: Off the bat, very engaging. Reminds me of the unpeated Amrut offerings. The sherry and bourbon influences are there, but I'm getting a lot of tropical fruits. Largely banana and coconut, but definitely turns mango-esque toward the end.

Taste: Mirrors the nose, but there are more upfront sherry notes, as well as a good bit of coconut.

Finish: White pepper, mango, and huge coconut.

Well I'll be damned if this isn't one of the stranger single malts I've had recently. There's a bit of young spirit harshness that isn't there in the Amrut offerings I've had, but the tropical fruit flavors are extremely prevalent, which makes up for it. Not something you see in very young whiskies, normally.

Edit: Water evokes a ton of scotch mist, and the pepper calms down on the tongue until the finish. This is clearly not chill filtered in the least.

Edited by garbanzobean

Ardmore Traditional Cask

Nose: A blast of ozone and medicinal peat. Some savory herbal notes. Maybe dried cilantro or parsley.

Taste: The arrival is peated and oily. Development turns into peaty stony fruit with some vanilla/stereotypical bourbon barrel sugars.

Finish: Peat that evolves into more ozone and stone fruits. Finish is marred somewhat by bitter tannins, but is still quite enjoyable.

Addition of water brings out more iodine and saline ozone on the nose. On the palate, there is more sweetness upfront, but it also brings out more bitter tannins on the finish. There is a nice TCBY "White Chocolate Mousse"/ play doh flavor that shows up, similar to what you get with younger spirits like Kilchoman, but it isn't overpowering.

This is an amazing dram if you can get it for $35 ish bucks or under. If you're paying in the $40-$60 range and are interested in the peat, you would be better served by BenRiach Curiositas 10, Caol Ila 12, or possibly Laphroaig Quarter Cask for a similar peat fix. Laphroaig 10 is much peatier, but obviously tasty in its own right. Kilchoman Machir Bay shares some similarities, but you're likely going to pay even more. Bottom line: I can see how older Ardmores would be highly coveted. This has all the makings of being a late bloomer.

If you like peat and want to try it NOW since it has been discontinued, I say go for it as long as the price is $55 or less. Just be ready to overlook some of the flaws typically seen with young spirit. At least it's been treated well.

Edited by garbanzobean

I can still find that Ardmore for around $30. It's not one of my go-to pours, but excellent for the price. Maybe it's time to stock up.

I can still find that Ardmore for around $30. It's not one of my go-to pours, but excellent for the price. Maybe it's time to stock up.

It's up to you. I just discovered that I can get Laphroaig 10 for $29.99 (I regularly see Lagavulin 16 for $44.99, as well), so a dram like Ardmore Traditional Cask isn't something I'm going to go out of my way to buy it again. But it's nice for the money. I think it's worth trying once, at least. I wish they'd offer something in the 10-12 year range.

Dewar's White Label from 20+ years ago ... my father-in-law is fairly sure the last time he bought a bottle of Scotch was the early 90's ... :)

Similar to the current bottling, but a much more creamy, full mouthfeel, and a bit more fruit. The current bottling is lighter and the finish has more nip/bite. I'd buy this as a dusty if I could figure out how to date the bottle ...

I definitely can't get prices like that on Laphroaig or Lagavulin! There's not much competition in the $30 single malt category here.

I'm curious to see what the new Ardmore Legacy that's replacing the Traditional Cask is like. Maybe it will be an upgrade.

I can't see how Ardmore Legacy is going to be an improvement, going from 46% ABV down to 40% and from NCF to chill filtered. Looks like the same old money grab to me. Someone on another forum compared this decision to the "Emperor's new clothes". Ardmore used to be a daily go to dram for me, loved it. They have seen the last of my money.

I can't see how Ardmore Legacy is going to be an improvement, going from 46% ABV down to 40% and from NCF to chill filtered. Looks like the same old money grab to me. Someone on another forum compared this decision to the "Emperor's new clothes". Ardmore used to be a daily go to dram for me, loved it. They have seen the last of my money.

Ah, I didn't realize they were dropping the proof and chill filtering it. That's a shame. I think I'll pass on that one. I heard that the Traditional Cask will be back in 2015 "in another form." I assume that means that the price is going to double.

Back on topic, I opened a 2012 bottle of GlenDronach 12, and I have to say that this is quite lovely stuff.

What are your thoughts on Kavalan Garbanzo?

Tonight I opened up a Glenrothe samples -- it had 100 ml of the select reserve, the 2001 vintage (12 yr) and the 1998 vintage (15yr). I enjoyed the 12 yr the most, but all of them were pretty much meh.

So I am drinking something now I do enjoy: The Tweeddale Batch #3. It changes every night, a good kind of change and its great.

Tonight I opened up a Glenrothe samples -- it had 100 ml of the select reserve, the 2001 vintage (12 yr) and the 1998 vintage (15yr). I enjoyed the 12 yr the most, but all of them were pretty much meh.

So I am drinking something now I do enjoy: The Tweeddale Batch #3. It changes every night, a good kind of change and its great.

It tastes noticeably younger than Amrut whiskies I've had (particularly Fusion), but there are some really unique (for a younger whisky) tropical fruit flavors. I'll let you know how it develops over the life of the bottle.

A little Clynelish 14 tonight reminded me of the Compass Box Great King St I had a while back. I hope I can get my hands on the new Glasgow blend. Next up is the Hart Bros Springer 12, which is really hitting the spot tonight.

A little Clynelish 14 tonight reminded me of the Compass Box Great King St I had a while back. I hope I can get my hands on the new Glasgow blend. Next up is the Hart Bros Springer 12, which is really hitting the spot tonight.
I believe it is a permanent addition to the lineup, so you should see it eventually. If not . . .

Enjoying some Oban 14. This is a 200ml bottle I completely forgot I had opened. It seems much better than I recall from several years ago; lots of toffee and butterscotch. Alas, it is now empty.

An Islay night tonight. First Laphroaig Portwood, then the Ardbeg Oog, then some Laphroaig QC, and now finishing the night with some Tweeddale.

So I'm not really up on new single malt releases, but this just sounds weird. Is it finished in ex-Bush's cans?

So I'm not really up on new single malt releases, but this just sounds weird. Is it finished in ex-Bush's cans?

Now I know why I was smelling that hint of Hummus earlier...

Glenrothes is a good speyside but never wow!!! I've had Indy bottlings and bottlings from 90s. Pretty much citrusy birthday cake all around.

It's snowing at my parents' house, so I cracked my bottle of Longrow R&K.

The nose is diesel fumes type peat, camphor, and an underlying sweet honey, maybe some savory herbs.

The palate starts out consistent with the nose. Grungy diesel fuel smoke, peat, camphor, barley sugars, oak tannins, and maybe tea. Really nice lipsmacking oily mouth feel.

Finish is mostly lingering smoke.

Overall the nose is nice, but not one I found myself lingering over, unlike some Islay malts. The rest of the experience is absolutely outstanding. Tons of really nice flavors, and a lipsmacking mouth feel make up for the nose. The lack of sherry influence really serves to highlight the rich sugary barley character of Longrow. Yet another Springbank Distillery home run. Absolutely outstanding on a cold winter's night.

Talking with Pete (TheNovaMan) and he convinced me to get back into my Ardbeg Alligator. Just a couple of pours left in this bottle :(

Over the weekend I had several pours of Talisker DE with a splash of water. Last night I decided to pour my 2-3 fingers of Talisker DE into a recently emptied bottle of Ardbeg 10 hoping that it would pick up a little saltiness. It did! I was very pleased with the Amoroso influence and the lip-smacking, lingering saltiness.

About to crack open a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh that a friend gifted me. 120 proof sherried-whisky is just what the doctor ordered on a cold, wintery night here in Chicago!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.