What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a pour of Macallan CS, and the wife caught a whiff . . . "Hmm, that smells good sweetie. Can you pour me a bit of that?" Always excited when she is curious about something (as in I'm less likely to get crap for having as much if she likes a couple :lol:). Explained how it isn't available anymore, and why "dusty hunting" is so important. She doesn't totally get it, but after a sip, her face lit up and she said "Oh wow - I see driving around looking for this!"

That's how you do it. Get them hooked with a taste!

Got off work a bit early. Killed the last bit of my Alc-hem-ist Springbank 10. Wasn't sure what to drink next, and I want to kill another bottle or so before I open anything else. I wanted something peaty and sherried, but I don't have anything open that fits that bill. So I did a 60/40 blend of Ardmore Traditional Cask/Kavalan King Car. I have to say . . . I think this blend is better than the Ardmore alone, and at least as good as the King Car. Very flavorful! I can see why Ardmore barely makes it into the single malt world, because it blends really well.

Had a small pour of Lagavulin 2014 12 Year, I agree with Whiskyfun.com (Serge) assessment. I am getting agave, and tequila on the nose! Very different from when I opened the bottle for the first time. I really don't think they are using E-150 Caramel Color in it. Very light color, lighter than Chardonnay I'd say. There are quite a few bottles in the Minneapolis area right now. I've stocked up 3 bottles to enjoy in the future. This is my first time having the Lagavulin 12, and am enjoying it. Although the 16 is quite the malt as well.

Oban 14. I remember this being more citrus driven, but this bottle seems heavier on the sherry. Still nice and coastal. Tasty.

Cracked my bottle of k&l longmorn 21. Excellent stuff! Citrusy sherry fresh fruit notes evolves into milk chocolate dried strawberry. A little harsh on the mid palate and finish long and warm.

Crown Liquors Private Selection 17yr Arran 53.4% ABV

Nose: Huge apple burst like opening a fresh bottle of apple juice. Ripe orchard fruit including a pronounced pear note. A very sweet aroma. A wisp of split wood followed by mangos and pineapple. Aromatic.

Palate: White pepper entry that shocks the palate a bit.....ok, a lot. Yowza. A bit of a horse radish or Wasabi effect. This tapers and decrescendos quickly into a culmination of fruit flavors evident on the nose. Red delicious apples and green grapes. The mouthfeel mid-palate is silky and relaxed. Warming and coating. The transition from start to middle is rapid but the dram slows down and opens up after a bit of coaxing. Just a hint of vanilla bean ice cream as it moves towards the finish.

Finish: Sweet and savory. Long length with an apple pie like finish. The oils give a fatty residue on the palate that hangs around for quite some time. Elegant and rich.

Rating: A very enjoyable dram and one that would fit most occasions. Would serve as an excellent after dinner pour but is perfectly suitable by itself. Calm, soft, easy, refined and enjoyable this is a well balanced expression. Would certainly add this one to the rotation. Score is a 92.

post-6524-14489821765413_thumb.jpg

Edited by MacinJosh

Staying simple for a Saturday - some Balvenie 12yr Doublewood (and eyeballing HP12 as a follow up). Nice to remind myself that there are some really enjoyable whiskies in the cabinet that aren't "special/limited".

Staying simple for a Saturday - some Balvenie 12yr Doublewood (and eyeballing HP12 as a follow up). Nice to remind myself that there are some really enjoyable whiskies in the cabinet that aren't "special/limited".
I looked at my open bottles the other day and realized that I didn't have anything easy drinking and approachable sitting around. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of good stuff, but I felt like my palate needed a reset. Hence my cracking of the Oban 14. It was a perfect choice, reminding me just exactly why I started drinking scotch whisky in the first place. In fact, I'll probably have another pour or two tonight.

I looked at my open bottles the other day and realized that I didn't have anything easy drinking and approachable sitting around. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of good stuff, but I felt like my palate needed a reset. Hence my cracking of the Oban 14. It was a perfect choice, reminding me just exactly why I started drinking scotch whisky in the first place. In fact, I'll probably have another pour or two tonight.

I have way too many open bottles at the moment (over 85 that are 750s or larger), and need to better align my purchasing with consumption. It is a nice change of pace to downshift to the basics. I just finished a small pour of HP12 and thinking Talisker 10yr is on deck for after dinner (with a detour to bourbon in between just to shake things up).

I have way too many open bottles at the moment (over 85 that are 750s or larger), and need to better align my purchasing with consumption. It is a nice change of pace to downshift to the basics. I just finished a small pour of HP12 and thinking Talisker 10yr is on deck for after dinner (with a detour to bourbon in between just to shake things up).

I know some guys who live not far from your house who could help you with that. :)

I know some guys who live not far from your house who could help you with that. :)

I have talked to the wife; I think next spring or summer I'll need to have the GBS over (at least any who aren't allergic to cats :lol:)

This one is for Eric (from last night):

15993739821_0736045d08_z.jpg

Not fair. A real friend always provides tasting notes! I need to know what I'm in for.

I finally killed that Caol Ila 14 Provenance, which was a different and tasty variation on Caol Ila 12. In a pinch, I'd prefer the OB, but the Provenance really highlighted the fruity aspect of Caol Ila. There are definitely a lot more rough edges in the Provenance, though. Some of them eventually lifted off into peppery notes, but there's definitely some heat spikes on the tongue.

At any rate, tonight it's all about Kavalan King Car. A lot of the tropical fruit flavors have lifted off, but they've taken the new make spirit smells and flavors with it. I'm left with JUICY red fruits on nose and taste. Swedish fish all over the place. Twizzlers and oak on the back. If I had to guess, this is a combo of really nice sherry casks, normal bourbon barrels, and maybe something like port to bridge the flavors a bit. At any rate, I'm loving this stuff RIGHT NOW. My recommendation is that if you buy this bottle, you should probably decant or split the bottle into two larger containers to get some air in there. Definitely needs oxidation to complete the package.

Not fair. A real friend always provides tasting notes! I need to know what I'm in for.

Hahah

Tropical fruits and citrus peels... Lovely stuff dude - I'll sit down once my palate recovers and jot down some formal notes ;)

Decided to try something new while inexpensive and went with a Glengoyne 10yr. Definitely glad I bought one drink rather than a bottle. Honestly knew nothing about it, so no expectations. Very mellow with a bit of citrus sweet, with a finish that was surprisingly peppery. Not in my wheelhouse, but glad to have tried before I bought!

Enjoying the last of a sample of some Balvenie Tun 1401 B3. Just fantastic. I'll probably never actually own my own bottle but am grateful that I was able to experience such a fantastic malt. It truly is a pour that lives up to the hype.

Stumbled upon a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh batch 35 in an out of the way liquor store in NJ. Current batch around here is 49. I've had a batch 42 and 45 and liked them but they did not blow me away. I was curious if the earlier batches were of a similar or higher quality. Now 35 is not 5, so perhaps one could chalk up the differences more to normal variation among batches than anything else, but I really do think the batch 35 is noticeably superior to batch 42 and 45. I like sherry and the stronger the sherry influence the better. But the roundness, depth and quality of flavor is just stunning. For those with the experience from the earliest batches, has there been a degradation in the quality of the whiskey? Or just normal variation among batches?

A friend of mine gave me two bottles of scotch over the past year. Since neither of us has much experience with scotch and these are pretty expensive bottles, we wanted to wait until we could get together to open them. This year has been hectic for both of us so we only recently had an opportunity to try them. Our initial reaction was neutral. We were sampling a lot so we really only had a taste. This was a few weeks back so I thought I would sit down tonight and have a decent pour of each so that I could get a better feel for them.

The two bottles were Glenlivet 18 and MacCallan 21 Year Fine Oak. The Glenlivet is a decent pour. A very sweet and floral taste. It has a slightly earthy taste but not like an LDI rye. A little weaker and lighter than what I like. I am sure I will enjoy the bottle and will be sure to share with others who want to experience a quality single malt scotch. The MacCallan 21 is more "bourbon-like." Not sweet like bourbon but citrusy with a smoky finish. I really like this one. I am not sure I would say it is Four Roses bourbon good just different. I know I will enjoy this bottle but after tonight will only pull it out when friends come over. I can say for certainty that I will never buy a bottle. Can't afford it! :shocked:

Compass Box Great King St Glasgow Blend. Very, very nice. Honestly, I don't see why all whisky isn't natural color, NCF. Compass Box gets it right.

Compass Box Great King St Glasgow Blend. Very, very nice. Honestly, I don't see why all whisky isn't natural color, NCF. Compass Box gets it right.

Agree 100%, though I think I know why companies color and chill filter their product. Doesn't make it any less of a shame when they do though.

Agree 100%, though I think I know why companies color and chill filter their product. Doesn't make it any less of a shame when they do though.

I still think of Ralfy's statement that the only purpose for e150a is to deceive. Well spoken! Producers say it's for batch consistency but it's really hard to buy such producers' whiskies.

How wonderful would a natural color, non-chill filtered OB Talisker be? If only such a thing existed!!

I don't pour Scotch all that often, but lately my wife has been pouring Laphroaig 18 and damned if I don't really enjoy it.

I don't pour Scotch all that often, but lately my wife has been pouring Laphroaig 18 and damned if I don't really enjoy it.
For a bottle of pee colored liquid, it is fairly expensive (can be had for around $65-$70 on sale here). But for a relatively high proof, no coloring added, non chill filtered (if I recall correctly) official bottling . . . man. It feels like a special event every time I have a pour of it.

Just a real favorite of mine.

Collision of 18 year Islay's and Campbeltowns. Laphroaig 18 vs. Bunnahabhain 18 vs. Springbank 18 vs. Longrow 18.

If I were to rank them, I would probably go Longrow > Laphroaig > Bunnie > Springer. The Longrow was the most memorable and the most drinkable. The Springer was forgettable and I would easily pick the 12 year Cask Strength over it.

post-10579-14489821787219_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.