E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've had good luck with fairly straight walled wine glasses and riedel brandy snifters for barrel proof bourbon. Glencairns seem to work better for me at 100 proof or below, though occasionally I find high proof whiskies that do just fine in it. The Bruichladdich glasses look nice, but I'm hesitant to give Bruichladdich more of my money with the direction they've been moving lately.
Edited by The Black Tot

Haven't had the barrel proof, but had the small batch tonight and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Had some of the 134.5 last night and for the first time (for me) it was exceptional. I had this bottle open for 6-7 months now and though I've liked it, it hasn't wowed me. Last night I tried it in a larger glass (stemless white wine glass) instead of a glencairn and this may have helped it quite a bit. I've heard others theorize that glencairns can pinch the nose of some higher proof bourbons. I also got my water ratio just right as I've now gone full geek and use an eye dropper. All of the above, combined, resulted in something that was reminiscent of Stagg for me. I enjoyed it so much that I went back for another and it was just as good. I'll try it again tonight to determine if I have it wired or if last night was just a good palate night for this particular whiskey.

I really like the Glencairn Canadian whiskey glass for higher proof stuff. The standard Glencairn can produce a hot, weak alcoholic nose. A wide rimmed glass dissipates the heat on the nose, let's you smell the bouquet while you sip and reveals the details of barrel proof bourbon much better. And if you want to add an ice cube, it doesn't look funny in the glass. :)

To keep this on topic... When I get a bottle of EHTBP I will test my theory.

I sometimes like a bigger glass for barrel proof stuff as well. With a regular glencairn, my nose tingles sometimes along with the intense flavor rush and it gets harder to nose other stuff for a while. I also found that a bigger glass like the canadian one will bring out some notes that I did not notice with a reg glencairn alone.

Just joined recently, thought I'd chime in on this thread.

I recently bought some bottles of this stuff, being a fan of the single barrel and the rye. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and some members of my regular crew did as well, since we went through half a bottle last night. It was $74.99 at my local retailer, but it is in pretty scarce supply.

What are the proofs of the releases? I've got some 135.4 over here.

Ok Today November 28th 2014 I bought a bottle of the CEHT,Jr.. Barrel Proof.. 64.5% ABV 129 Proof.. Paid $79.99 I have not tried this.. Creggor

Just joined recently, thought I'd chime in on this thread.

I recently bought some bottles of this stuff, being a fan of the single barrel and the rye. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and some members of my regular crew did as well, since we went through half a bottle last night. It was $74.99 at my local retailer, but it is in pretty scarce supply.

I really liked the first-gen iteration of CEHTBP from a few years back, and bought it b/c I liked the Tornado (& BT in general) so much. I recall a distinct green-apple taste, and I thought it a bit better than the flaming hot first-gen Stagg Jr., when they went head-to-head in my dining room.2e99a37f4b49a3c7a4f556336484473a.jpg

(Slight off-topic digression: Welcome to SB, t44tq, and thanks for chiming in! There's a sub-forum section for new members to pop in, introduce themselves, and tell a bit about what they like.)

My parents sent me a bottle of the EH Taylor Barrel Proof 129.0 release, and I have to say, it really is delicious.

I bought a bottle of the Small Batch and strongly disliked it. Honestly, I thought the lack of age statement and general roughness of the product hinted at the fact I was basically paying $50 for 4-year BIB juice...this stuff is in an altogether different league. Almost no heat at all on the nose, which is remarkable. So light for a barrel proofer, yet complex. I don't have the Small Batch open in front of me, but I suspect that if I tasted the two blind I'd pick the SB as the BP each time: one is silky-smooth and the other is rough and ragged.

I haven't had the small batch, but I agree with suntour's notes on the Barrel Proof. It is dangerously drinkable at 129 proof, and hits all the right spots for me at 'only' (seriously these days) $70.

I picked up two of the three bottles that I came across, and wish I had picked up the third.

Ok Today November 28th 2014 I bought a bottle of the CEHT,Jr.. Barrel Proof.. 64.5% ABV 129 Proof.. Paid $79.99 I have not tried this.. Creggor

If you like the regular CEHT1B, you'll like the BP. It's a stronger expression, more of the flavor in a very intense way, but very similar to the BIB 100 proof stuff.

I really liked the first-gen iteration of CEHTBP from a few years back, and bought it b/c I liked the Tornado (& BT in general) so much. I recall a distinct green-apple taste, and I thought it a bit better than the flaming hot first-gen Stagg Jr., when they went head-to-head in my dining room.

(Slight off-topic digression: Welcome to SB, t44tq, and thanks for chiming in! There's a sub-forum section for new members to pop in, introduce themselves, and tell a bit about what they like.)

Thanks Eskwar! I never got the green-apple taste, at least with my 129 proof bottle. Very strong cinnamon-like flavor, I don't have my mashbills memorized, but I think that is from the higher rye content. Isn't CEHT a different mashbill than Stagg Jr.?

I have a bottle of the original release Stagg Jr. at 140 proof- while it is hot, I thought it was pretty tasty. Definitely not as good as GTS, but still pretty good. Then again, I liked the 2013 GTS (my first taste of BTAC).

My parents sent me a bottle of the EH Taylor Barrel Proof 129.0 release, and I have to say, it really is delicious.

I bought a bottle of the Small Batch and strongly disliked it. Honestly, I thought the lack of age statement and general roughness of the product hinted at the fact I was basically paying $50 for 4-year BIB juice...this stuff is in an altogether different league. Almost no heat at all on the nose, which is remarkable. So light for a barrel proofer, yet complex. I don't have the Small Batch open in front of me, but I suspect that if I tasted the two blind I'd pick the SB as the BP each time: one is silky-smooth and the other is rough and ragged.

Suntour, I think the Small Batch is significantly different from the 1B and the BP. The 1B and BP taste very similar to me, but the Small Batch gives me a strong bitter woody finish that I do not like.

I have to admit that I blended my Small Batch to get rid of it- 60/40 Small Batch to Kirkland 18 single malt made the woody finish go away and made it very drinkable, although very generic. I would not buy the Small Batch again, even though PA sells it for something crazy like $26 on sale right now.

I don't have my mashbills memorized, but I think that is from the higher rye content. Isn't CEHT a different mashbill than Stagg Jr.?

Don't think Sazerac has ever confirmed for sure but I think regular CEHT bourbons are thought to be the regular BT #1 mashbill that includes regular BT, ER, Stagg and of course Bambi (Stagg, Jr.). The CEHT rye appears to be the only wild card mashbill.

From the Whiskey Tree

Edited by tanstaafl2

Don't think Sazerac has ever confirmed for sure but I think regular CEHT bourbons are thought to be the regular BT #1 mashbill that includes regular BT, ER, Stagg and of course Bambi (Stagg, Jr.). The CEHT rye appears to be the only wild card mashbill.

From the Whiskey Tree

I finally opened my 129 BP and like everyone else liked it a lot. Very easy drinking. I get tobacco and leather in it, similar to the SB(which I happen to like quite a bit also) but much more pronounced

Good evening i acquired a bottle last week of the CEHT Jr, Barrel Proof. I called my uy today and told him to set aside another bottle foe me.. Before I open this one I want to know I have another one set aside.. The opinions seems to speak very favorable about this Bourbon.. I really liked last years Small batch quite a bit.. I was not all that imoressed with the Single Barrel. Cheers. Creggor

My thoughtful daughter called the other night from her stop at the liquor store and confirmed this was one of the bottles

I was looking for. Only one they had and the manager said they NEVER get it. I was due.......;)

My Bro, gave me a call last night, Hey Don they got a CEHTBP sitting here, do you want it, a rhetorical question...

I've been waiting for a good night to open this one. Maybe Sunday night during the Cowboys/Eagles rematch.

The 129 Proof batch is awesome, just opened last night. Highly recommend.

Yes it is (IMO). Still kicking myself for leaving one on the shelf when I picked up my two bottles of the 129. At that time, I figured I'd get a hit on at least one of the limited editions (PVW, BTAC, OFBB, FRLE), and didn't want to overdo it. Lo and behold, I batted 0 on the limited editions, so I'd love that extra EHTBP right about now. But I'll enjoy my two bottles, and keep my eyes open for more.

I did a side by side of the 2013 and '14 releases and while I did think the 2014 was better, I honestly didn't find a tremendous difference, at least nothing that made we want to run out and by a bottle on top of the couple '13s I have bunkered.

Yes it is (IMO). Still kicking myself for leaving one on the shelf when I picked up my two bottles of the 129. At that time, I figured I'd get a hit on at least one of the limited editions (PVW, BTAC, OFBB, FRLE), and didn't want to overdo it. Lo and behold, I batted 0 on the limited editions, so I'd love that extra EHTBP right about now. But I'll enjoy my two bottles, and keep my eyes open for more.

That 129 bottle is a damn fine consolation prize. It is better than a lot of the limited editions that I have tried this year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.