E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got a bottle of this a few weeks ago after I returned from Lexington. I had a few buddies over to pick up the bottles I had purchased for them and to have a few drinks. One of them brought over his Cured Oak and I think I prefer this over that to be honest. Full disclosure I'm big on barrel proofers. Wonder if anybody else had the same conclusion?

• 1 month later...
Took a tour at Buffalo Trace yesterday and went through the bottling line at the end. They were bottling EH Taylor Barrel Proof (which happens to be my favorite) and it looks like this year's batch will be at 127.2 proof.

Apparently this is in the wild now (somebody wrote a review over on reddit with a picture). So unless I'm mistaken, that brings us to:

Batch 1: 134.5

Batch 2: 135.4

Batch 3: 129.0

Batch 4: 127.2

Did I miss one?

• 3 weeks later...
Found some 127.2 today at $81.99 - thought twice about it then pulled the trigger.

I saw it today for $109 and passed. At your price, I would have pulled the trigger too.

I saw it today for $109 and passed. At your price, I would have pulled the trigger too.

First bottle I purchased this year was $89.99 the second was $65.00, I pulled the trigger twice. The first was due to Whiskirexia nervosa (Kinda like Buck Fever during hunting season), the second was a better shot.

Picked up some 127.2 at downtowns specs today for $75. They have 6 bottles left of this batch

Spec's at $75? Ticking up the price...Good Goody off of Hwy 6 had a couple for $65. But they were a little high on ECBP.

Edited by Travis D

I picked up a bottle of 127.2 over the weekend. It is a nice pour. I may get another at $77/bottle, 10% above the state minimum price.

Found some 127.2 today at $81.99 - thought twice about it then pulled the trigger.

Found a second bottle closer to home for $69.99 - bunkered!

Found a second bottle closer to home for $69.99 - bunkered!

Now, that's more like it... Just a great bourbon at under $70. Glad I stocked up on a few of the 127.2, with 1.5 bottles of the 129 left.

Anyone tasted this one yet? I know the previously released 129 proof was really good...

Anyone tasted this one yet? I know the previously released 129 proof was really good...

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with lcwoody. the 129 was incredible. i picked up a few bottles of the 127. tried some at a friends place. its good, but not balanced like the 129.

My initial reaction is the same. Tried side by side with a half full bottle of the 129, and preferred the 129. Will try again after the 127 has been open for a bit.

If I could just play devil's advocate before this batch difference takes on a life of its own. I am a huge fan of the 129 proof, have 1/2 an open bottle, and one in the bunker. I recently purchased three bottles of the 127.2 when I came across them. I opened up a bottle of the 127.2 to be able to compare to the 129 proof. I need to do a better comparison, but the 127.2 held its own to me. It's a very good bourbon, though I think it will benefit from some airtime. Of course, it's not inconceivable that in a head to head comparison the 129 proof would win. But even assuming that is the case, I think it would be a shame if people start passing up the 127.2. To each his own of course, and YMMV.

Thanks for the comments. I missed out on the 129 so I was hoping the 127 would be close in quality since I did end up getting one of those. Looking forward to opening it.

Picked up a 127.2 today for $69.99 although I could've swore it was on sale per the red tag for $59.99. I should go back with the receipt and try and get the $10 back lol

I unexpectedly found batch 4 today. I've been off the grid and didn't even know there was a new batch.

I'm a big fan of #2/135.4. #3/129.0 I thought was good, but I liked #2 better. Interesting to see the comments on the latest batch.

• 5 weeks later...
I don't know about nationwide, but it's around chicagoland and somewhat easily found.

Thanks. Probably just hasn't hit my area, I've been checking the ABC site fairly frequently but nothing yet.

The 127.2 was released over a month ago, at least in the northeast. Mid July or early August. Unless there is a subsequent release.

• 4 weeks later...

I found Batch #4 to be very good. Stumbled upon a few while out of town at $58 a bottle and they are well worth it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.