Parker's Heritage Collection 8th

jwacky
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I loved last year's. Nothing fancy about it. Just a simple whiskey with traditional bourbon flavors executed near flawlessly. I haven't had 1-4 so can't comment. Really looking forward to grabbing my bottle of this year's.

• 3 weeks later...

After a long hiatus, I am finally back on the board. It is good to be back.

Can any fellow members help me find a bottle in SE MI?

Finally able to secure a bottle of this in Maryland. Waiting for my son to be born before cracking this open.

I thought it was pretty good until I had it side by side with a similar barrel proof whiskey, 2014 William Larue Weller and the WLW just blew the PHC 8 away. The PHC8 tasted thin, watery, minty and dry in comparison

I thought it was pretty good until I had it side by side with a similar barrel proof whiskey, 2014 William Larue Weller and the WLW just blew the PHC 8 away. The PHC8 tasted thin, watery, minty and dry in comparison

To be fair, the '14 WLW is an absolute knockout. My whiskey of the year for sure.

Sku has a post today reviewing two batches of this PHC: one good, one not so good.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2014/11/proof-positive-two-batches-of-parkers.html

Has anybody else tasted the "batch 2" 126.8 proof, 63.4% abv version that did not live up to expectations, and did you have similar or different experiences? I am trying to decide whether to tell a store I frequent that I would pass on this. I have had too many $80+ dud bottles this year to take the risk of buying another.

Edited by danz
spelling

I have batch 2 open and don't get the acidic notes that Sku gets from his. I find it quite enjoyable. Then again, my palate may not be as refined as his so take that for what it's worth.

I have batch 2 open and don't get the acidic notes that Sku gets from his. I find it quite enjoyable. Then again, my palate may not be as refined as his so take that for what it's worth.

Same here. 16 char min

This release hit NJ pretty early it seems relative to the rest of the country, and my three bottles are all 126.8. Not even sure if the other release that Sku tasted will be out in the market. But regardless, the 126.8 tastes quite good to me, and while not discounting Sku's opinion, I wouldn't get overly worried about not liking the 126.8. Just my .02 cents.

All my bottles are 126.8 as well. I''l try it again in my next pour tonight but didn't find that acidic tone completely overthrowing the drink.

If you have a choice, get the first release but for the second, I think this one you may want to taste it yourself to be sure.

I bought a whole bottle to a party to share with friends and everyone enjoyed it as well. Granted they are not bourbon fanatics. :) But they also have sensitive or very mild palate.

I'm wondering if maybe the bottle sku tasted was somehow off. The earthy/acidic combination is something I have seen in bottles I have had that don't match others in the same product line.

Just had a pour and I enjoyed it. Don't really noticed the acidic tone. If I have to look for it maybe slightly on the nose.

Anyhow bourbon is subjective but this needs a SBS for myself.

Interesting....IIRC, wasn't there a similar issue with the PHC 4, one of the releases was much better than the others? I just picked up a 127.4, curious what others have found in MI.

Weird. I have the "batch 2" 126.8 proof but it was acquired as the first PHC8 bottles that arrived in my state. HH may have dumped and released multiple batches at the same time, or more likely our asshat distributor waited until batch 2 to offer anything to off-prem accounts.

Sounds from reports like it was pretty much a simultaneous release of two batches. Seems pretty random in terms of geography. I have only seen the 127.4 around here.

I just picked up a 126.8. On first sample I am unsure what to make of it. It goes along pretty well and then the finish hits and I'm left with a very unique brackish mushroom persimmon sort of character. It will take some time to analyze this out as it goes down the bottle a bit....

Cheers

RW

I just picked up a 126.8. On first sample I am unsure what to make of it. It goes along pretty well and then the finish hits and I'm left with a very unique brackish mushroom persimmon sort of character. It will take some time to analyze this out as it goes down the bottle a bit....

Cheers

RW

Give it a little time. That's sort of how my bottle started out. Now, with some time combined with me getting the water ratio just right, it's become one of my favorite pours. Sweet buttered toffee perfection.

Mine's 126.8. Haven't opened it yet, but will soon. Anyone done a sbs with the two? Is Sku right about the 126.8 being inferior. Hope not.

Mine's 126.8. Haven't opened it yet, but will soon. Anyone done a sbs with the two? Is Sku right about the 126.8 being inferior. Hope not.

I recently swapped samples with a fellow SBer. I have the 127.4 and he had the 126.8 so hopefully both of us will get a chance to do a SBS soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.