2015 Booker's roundtable?

flaminiom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is there a roundtable batch this/next year? I saw a 2015 bottle the other day and was curious if they're doing that again?

I woudnt be surprised. Seems the roundtable batch last year and the 25th this year have put Booker's back on the bourbon map. Ive turned a number of people onto it too that had not heard of it before, or not tried it before....but now, everyone seems to know the name

I know they are releasing the new batches with names as opposed to numbers, not sure if any are roundtable.

What's so special about the roundtable version as opposed to the others? Never seen it around these parts.

What's so special about the roundtable version as opposed to the others? Never seen it around these parts.

Chuck Cowdery should be online any minute now to give you an insider's perspective. Barrels for Roundtable are selected in consultation with highly regarded bourbon aficianados. Many of us (are you listening Chuck?) would like to know more about the selection process.

I thought this was a 'one-off'. An informal gathering of Master Distillers (and others?) who tasted through each of their favorite barrels; then named this one the pick of the 'roundtable'. Is this not the case? If there was to be an annual release of this (them?), I've yet to hear anything about it.... Which makes little sense, if it's supposed to be a high-end, sought-after issue. After all, if I were to get this sort of publicity and not take advantage by advertising the next one; what would that make me?.... NOT Fred Noe! His job is too push Beam's best and most innovative stuff as hard as possible; YES?

The 2013-6 Roundtable was good which I believe Chuck was part of that group. Thought it was better than just a random bottle off the shelf. That being said, it wasn't mind blowing by any means. I'd relate it to a best of the best store pick where they actually went to the distillery and put forth the effort to get a good barrel that fits within the profile of the label.

As for 2014, I think Chuck said they did another for this year, but I can't recall the number, nor can I say I've seen any 2014- labels this year. As noted above, 2015 is supposed to have some "special" names. A link to Sku's will give you the TBT links . . .

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2014/08/new-whiskey-labels-highland-park-1968.html

I thought this was a 'one-off'. An informal gathering of Master Distillers (and others?) who tasted through each of their favorite barrels; then named this one the pick of the 'roundtable'. Is this not the case? If there was to be an annual release of this (them?), I've yet to hear anything about it.... Which makes little sense, if it's supposed to be a high-end, sought-after issue. After all, if I were to get this sort of publicity and not take advantage by advertising the next one; what would that make me?.... NOT Fred Noe! His job is too push Beam's best and most innovative stuff as hard as possible; YES?

Pretty sure they were still batches not single barrels . . . so I googled it. Here's some more info . . .

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2014/05/in-which-i-help-pick-your-next-bottle.html

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/bookersr-bourbon-introduces-its-first-roundtable-batch-of-2013-1837287.htm

My bad... the bottle was 2014 batch, not 2015, but same question. Wondering the batch # for this year, if there is a roundtable.

I tried the 2013-6 and agree with Mark - better than a random batch for sure, but I didn't think it was so amazing that I bunkered the hell out of it. I have passed on other "roundtable" batches; unless I have a chance to try them first or hear from a lot of friends that thought highly of one.

So how does one determine if it is a roundtable or not? Does it actually say it is a roundtable?

So how does one determine if it is a roundtable or not? Does it actually say it is a roundtable?

Nope, I don't remember anything noting it was a "roundtable" selection. In the past Bookers had some odd combination of numbers and letters for each batch but the roundtable bottles simple had a year followed by a dash and then a single number as the batch number. There was the 2013-6, 2013-7 and a 2014-something (but I don't remember that number). Those are the ones I have heard about.

Ok, thanks , I see the regular bottles have a batch # like Co4-a-28, so the roundtables are similar to the 25th which actually has the date.(2014-01)Good to know, I wonder why they don't emphasize that fact, I really enjoy Booker's.. always have and would have never known the difference had I had one in front of me.(which I haven't....yet)

Thanx for the linx petrel800.

I now understand the term 'roundtable pick is not what I thought.

I'm not sure where I got that wrong idea. Anyway, THANX!

Cool. I never knew what the expression roundtable was referring to. Still not that hot on Booker's, but I'm glad to know.

There was the 2013-6, 2013-7 and a 2014-something (but I don't remember that number). Those are the ones I have heard about.

In the interest of accuracy, batch 2013-7 was not a roundtable batch according to my notes. Unfortunately I can't find my source for that.

Roundtable batches I'm aware of are 2013-6 and 2014-4 aka C07-B-7. This also points out the batch numbering format is not an indicator of roundtable vs. normal.

Reading the comments section of this post http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2014/05/in-which-i-help-pick-your-next-bottle.html

"Chuck Cowdery said...

The Beam folks got back to me very quickly with an answer. The marketing folks are trying to get manufacturing to use the easy-to-read "2014-4" numbering system. In the meantime, the most recent batch I helped select is labeled Batch No. C07-B-7. It's probably not in stores just yet, but watch for it.

July 9, 2014 at 10:24 AM"

My bad... the bottle was 2014 batch, not 2015, but same question. Wondering the batch # for this year, if there is a roundtable.

The one that Chuck Cowdery helped select this year is C07-B-7, per the comments thread on his blog:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2014/05/in-which-i-help-pick-your-next-bottle.html?showComment=1404919449129#c7866759355407933272

EDIT: D'oh should have read to the end of the thread

Reading the comments section of this post http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2014/05/in-which-i-help-pick-your-next-bottle.html

"Chuck Cowdery said...

The Beam folks got back to me very quickly with an answer. The marketing folks are trying to get manufacturing to use the easy-to-read "2014-4" numbering system. In the meantime, the most recent batch I helped select is labeled Batch No. C07-B-7. It's probably not in stores just yet, but watch for it.

July 9, 2014 at 10:24 AM"

OK, so I assume here the batch Chuck sampled was labeled internally C07-B-7, but they've been rebranded 2014-x for retail. It sounds like Chuck just threw 2014-4 as an example. I'd guess the roundtable this year is 2014-7?

Also, I thought 2013-7 last year was special? A second roundtable?

OK, so I assume here the batch Chuck sampled was labeled internally C07-B-7, but they've been rebranded 2014-x for retail. It sounds like Chuck just threw 2014-4 as an example. I'd guess the roundtable this year is 2014-7?

Also, I thought 2013-7 last year was special? A second roundtable?

• 2 weeks later...

We did an in-person selection session in Bardstown a few weeks ago, so I assume that will be a 2015 release. They typically do a press release about it when it comes out. If I see it, I'll pass it along.

I've seen bottles on the shelf with C07-B-7 on them. I don't think the batch numbering convention necessarily correlates to the round table releases.

I was guessing B-7 would be 20xx-7.

Whatever. Maybe no round table batch for 2014 releases or simply it's yet to come. Either way, it's seems definitely not on shelves, so that settles that.

No, the 2014 round table batch IS C07-B-7 and it is on the shelves, at least here. It takes a while for Booker's batches to work their way through distribution if it's not a fast seller, so you may see this one yet. I was still finding 2013-6 and 2013-7 a couple months ago.

I've seen 2014-x bottles though. So, that's weird if there's two date code formats?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.