New Wild Turkey Master's Keep, bottled at 86.8 proof

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Actually, I am waiting for more people who have tried it to weigh in. I'm interested to hear their thoughts. There haven't been many posts on this thread from people who have actually tried it. I plan to open my bottle in the next week. I will post my initial thoughts and then, if there is still interest, I will post some follow-up thoughts as the bottle opens up.

Tasting notes can be interesting and useful, particularly if posted by someone with similar taste. However, tasting notes are most useful if they are posted in the Tasting Sub Forum. I doubt that many people will scroll through 25 pages of posts, since many are not informative. I know there is a search function; however, a sub forum specific to tasting notes for a specific whiskey is considerably more useful.

As a relative newbie compared to most of you guys, I've been known to get overly excited about anything limited and/or considered to be special to the point of hunting around and being willing to part with serious cash no questions asked. I've had enough misses and unremarkable $150 bottles of whiskey at this point that I'm just unexcited about this. I'll appreciate others thoughts here and will taste it at a bar if it's not overpriced (it probably will be).

Now if I try it and really really like it........well then.......I can still be weak.

I was that way for awhile, well for the last two years, but when I get a call and I feel it's just not worth the $ I don't hesitate to say no thanks.

I was that way for awhile, well for the last two years, but when I get a call and I feel it's just not worth the $ I don't hesitate to say no thanks.

That has been hard for me as well but I am getting better at it. The problem is if you start doing it too often they might stop calling!

Or so I tell myself... :rolleyes:

It was terribly underwhelming IMO and way too expensive for how many barrels of this that they have. I would be excited to buy this in the $45-$75ish range but $150 is a joke. They should have layed off all the fancy packaging and just put it in a regular bottle

I will be getting a bottle of this for my birthday. I know this because I picked it up at the store last night. Then I promptly surrendered it to be squirreled away until November. Praying for patience...

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

One of the knowledgable and generous members of SB put a bottle on the gazebo. I tasted it and thought it was outstanding. I believe it is worth the price. In fact, I just returned from Wild Turkey with a bottle.

Doug, that's the best endorsement I've read so far! I'm hoping to get one next week, so may weigh in with some tasting notes then!

I finally got a chance to try this last night. Big thanks to whoever brought it to the table.

I thought it was good. The low proof shows but it is very richly flavored and fruity with a big mouthfeel. I could easily see myself paying $40-$50 for it.

I finally got a chance to try this last night. Big thanks to whoever brought it to the table.

I thought it was good. The low proof shows but it is very richly flavored and fruity with a big mouthfeel. I could easily see myself paying $40-$50 for it.

Josh,

Add a c-note to the high end and you to can purchase a bottle in MI + tax and merchant mark-up.

Low proof pours that are high quality such as BHC I.W.Harper 15 years are nice drinks but I'm having a hard time convincing myself it is a $150/bottle nice.

Will

Josh,

Add a c-note to the high end and you to can purchase a bottle in MI + tax and merchant mark-up.

Low proof pours that are high quality such as BHC I.W.Harper 15 years are nice drinks but I'm having a hard time convincing myself it is a $150/bottle nice.

Will

Indeed. I was going for "damning with faint praise" when I said how much I would pay for it.

I had a taste of the new Harper 15 in the purdy bottle in Kentucky. It is good, better than the old version, but, again, not $80 good.

I tasted the bottle that was generously placed on the gazebo table and I found it on the flat side. No real front of the palate action for me, just mid palate and a decent finish.

I tasted the bottle that was generously placed on the gazebo table and I found it on the flat side. No real front of the palate action for me, just mid palate and a decent finish.

I'm with ya' on all counts Ox. I guess one needs a certain palate to really appreciate what this one offers. My 'iron palate' didn't. Oh, well....

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw 2 bottles @ $159.99 per but nothing I have read here makes me interested in taking the plunge. I also saw Stagg jr. Batch #4 @ $51.99 and just might get 3 of those instead and sleep like a baby tonight.

I just saw 2 bottles @ $159.99 per but nothing I have read here makes me interested in taking the plunge. I also saw Stagg jr. Batch #4 @ $51.99 and just might get 3 of those instead and sleep like a baby tonight.

you sure will if you drink all three

attachment.php?attachmentid=21684&stc=1I pick one up yesterday and brought it to the gun club. After sporting clay shoot I poured or team and another team some. Everyone loved it, and most of the guys aren't bourbon drinkers. (3 of the guys called the liquor store to have them hold a bottle till they could get there and pick it up) I think it's very good. We finished about half the bottle. I will defiantly be buying another.

post-9285-14489822886137_thumb.jpg

Edited by LCWoody

Finally got around to opening a bottle of this, I found the nose quite light, mouthfeel a bit thin, but the flavor is very good. Lots of caramel, vanilla, light spices, and a hint of oak. Fairly short finish. I think I like this better than Diamond Anniversary. These are my preliminary thoughts on this.

I do think it's overpriced, but it's tasty. I'd buy a few more bottles if the price were around $75.

I bought another bottle yesterday for 143.99, I don't think it will get any lower than that, and I really like this bourbon. I'm almost done with the 1st bottle........ with some help from friends.

I jumped on one at 105 here. Pretty tasty on first pour. Unique flavored for sure. I'll have try it a few more times to get a handle on it. Better than the Diamond I think. Better than most I've tasted lately in that proof range. I'm surprised at the story of low entry and cool consistent temperature aging. Really a top tier pour I think, and a pleasure to sink taste buds into.

Cheers,

RW

I jumped on one at 105 here. Pretty tasty on first pour. Unique flavored for sure. I'll have try it a few more times to get a handle on it. Better than the Diamond I think. Better than most I've tasted lately in that proof range. I'm surprised at the story of low entry and cool consistent temperature aging. Really a top tier pour I think, and a pleasure to sink taste buds into.

Cheers,

RW

At $105 I would probably consider another as well!

$105 is a great price. I am seeing $129-$160 in the Minneapolis area. I'd probably buy a few at $105 to enjoy in the coming years.

Overall I am enjoying the pour, initially I thought as I consumed more of this bourbon, it would get oakier with oxidation, but it hasn't happened. I am very happy with the bourbon, but I still find it overpriced at the $159 MSRP. No doubt the nice packaging and bottle design contributed to the MSRP.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoying this bottle. It has really grown on me and gets better with each pour.

I find its disappearing from the bottle pretty quick. My only real problem is the price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.