New Wild Turkey Master's Keep, bottled at 86.8 proof

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On June 13, 2016 at 8:49 PM, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Am I the only one that thinks this tastes like a shitty scotch? Maybe i just brushed my teeth or something before I drank it last time but I took one sip and its been sitting in the cabinet untouched ever since. 

I think I'll go revisit it now after reading some of these reviews. For some reason, I'm afraid my opinion won't change though 

I want charge you a disposal fee if you want me to dispose of it for you..........:D

Edited by LCWoody

I'm getting some of the same notes I find in angels envy.

im not a huge fan of the Angels envy, but this masters keep has a similar bitter-sweet taste to me.

15 hours ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Tried another pour tonight. You were correct, I think my palate was just kinda funky that day.

It's not on the top of my list by any means, and i think it's outrageous for the crazy price, but it's nothing like what I tasted the first time.

im still learning how to refine my pallet I guess

I've found I have to taste things at least twice to really get an impression of them. So many environmental factors, like the last thing you ate or drank, air quality, allergies etc. can have a lot of impact on what you experience.

I also think maybe drinking high proof bourbons consecutively for a week or so and then switching to a low proof bourbon could be a variable. 

I tend to think less of 90 proof bourbons that I normally love after drinking high proof for awhile.

$150 is a little too rich for my blood, but I actually think that's a fair price given its age and unique profile.  WT seems to fly under the radar of collectors and flippers, so at least if a special occasion arises I know I can find a special release from WT.  If BT released a 17 year old bourbon that was barrel proof at 86.8 as a new addition to the antique collection they'd be instantly off the shelf at any price and on the secondary market for $500. 

Really debated about picking this one up today.  In the end I passed on it.  Maybe next time.

I've been debating on picking one up.  I can get it for $145 out the door, but I keep putting it off.   I should be finishing a new certification this year that's a decently big deal in my profession, and would like to have a nice bottle to celebrate.  That said, I need to get back to studying.

On 6/18/2016 at 9:13 AM, Tennessee Dave said:

Really debated about picking this one up today.  In the end I passed on it.  Maybe next time.

On 6/18/2016 at 0:06 PM, mortre said:

I've been debating on picking one up.  I can get it for $145 out the door, but I keep putting it off.  

I'm in the same boat. I know it's 17 year old bourbon, but $150 is still a lot for one bottle. 

FWIW, at WhsikyFest Wash DC in March(?). Jimmy and Eddie Russell represented WT.  Jimmy himself poured MK for me.  While I am not a "low" proof kind of guy, I have to say that the buttery feel, full body, complex entry, and pleasingly long finish of that MK are still with me today - kind of like a nice, warm memory. At $145, I'd pass.  At $99, I'd buy six, and I'd put the name of an heir on each and stick them in with my 1977 ports for posterity.

Or later drinking, whichever comes first.

13 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

FWIW, at WhsikyFest Wash DC in March(?). Jimmy and Eddie Russell represented WT.  Jimmy himself poured MK for me.  While I am not a "low" proof kind of guy, I have to say that the buttery feel, full body, complex entry, and pleasingly long finish of that MK are still with me today - kind of like a nice, warm memory. At $145, I'd pass.  At $99, I'd buy six, and I'd put the name of an heir on each and stick them in with my 1977 ports for posterity.

Or later drinking, whichever comes first.

Jimmy and his wife were at Whisky Live in Louisville pouring MK. I agree with your assessment of flavor and optimal price.

On 6/21/2016 at 6:03 PM, mosugoji64 said:

I've seen  it for  $99 here and just can't pull the trigger. 

At $99 I would have definitely purchased a bottle (though perhaps not 6). I think that's the right price.  

Edited by jsrudd

Anyone in the SF Bay Area that wants this at $95 PM me.  I was just out there for business and came across a store going out of business.  They had a couple cases of this at that price.  I bought one of course even though I have an extra already

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:05 AM, VAGentleman said:

Anyone in the SF Bay Area that wants this at $95 PM me.  I was just out there for business and came across a store going out of business.  They had a couple cases of this at that price.  I bought one of course even though I have an extra already

That is a pretty good price for a unique Bourbon. The flavor profile of this is worth having around- as it's not commonly found in anything else I can think of. Love it or not it's an unusual pour.

I just picked up a spare for 105$ and thought that wasn't too bad, considering

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2016 at 2:07 PM, RWBadley said:

. . .

I just picked up a spare for 105$ and thought that wasn't too bad, considering

Some Virginia ABC stores still have a few of these for $150 plus tax;  I haven't seen any recently in WashDC so can't speak to the current price here.  $105 is an excellent price.  And, while I don't usually buy older bourbons, I do LOVE this one.

15 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Some Virginia ABC stores still have a few of these for $150 plus tax;  I haven't seen any recently in WashDC so can't speak to the current price here.  $105 is an excellent price.  And, while I don't usually buy older bourbons, I do LOVE this one.

My ulterior motive for buying this for a friend's wedding present (he and his now wife are casual bourbon fans) is to try their bottle and decide if I want my own.

3 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

My ulterior motive for buying this for a friend's wedding present (he and his now wife are casual bourbon fans) is to try their bottle and decide if I want my own.

LOL.  GREAT plan.

• 6 months later...

I pulled the trigger on a bottle and have had a few pours.  I like it a lot.  Very balanced.  Characteristic WT spice, but there's a softness and sweetness to it.  Thick mouthfeel of an older bourbon, but not over-oaked or bitter.  It lacks the punch and long finish that a higher proof often provides, but still has a mighty fine finish.  This is what I imagine Blantons would taste like with some more age on it.  Is it worth $130+?  Up to you, but in todays bourbon market its not out of line given its age and extremely unique story/character (such a low barrel proof).  All similar 'premium' bourbons by other distilleries are either at this price level at retail or impossible to get. 

19 hours ago, IowaJeff said:

I pulled the trigger on a bottle and have had a few pours.  I like it a lot.  Very balanced.  Characteristic WT spice, but there's a softness and sweetness to it.  Thick mouthfeel of an older bourbon, but not over-oaked or bitter.  It lacks the punch and long finish that a higher proof often provides, but still has a mighty fine finish.  This is what I imagine Blantons would taste like with some more age on it.  Is it worth $130+?  Up to you, but in todays bourbon market its not out of line given its age and extremely unique story/character (such a low barrel proof).  All similar 'premium' bourbons by other distilleries are either at this price level at retail or impossible to get. 

I pulled the trigger on another bottle today since it was on sale for $112.  First of all, I don't think that is a bad price for a 17 y/o bourbon in today's market.  More importantly, I really like it.  I agree with you, it has a thick mouthfeel which I really like.  I would also agree that it has a softness and sweetness.  I enjoy that especially if I'm having an after-dinner bourbon.

7 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Is anyone still seeing this in the wild for 100 or less?

It's $110 by me right now.

It's still on the shelves for $150 here which is why I haven't bought another one. (First one was purchased at a discount for $115).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.