New Wild Turkey Master's Keep, bottled at 86.8 proof

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Really enjoying this bottle. It has really grown on me and gets better with each pour.

I find its disappearing from the bottle pretty quick. My only real problem is the price.

I really like the bottle, one of the sharpest I've seen. I'm tasting a lot of grapefruit, which make this very unique. I've never encountered something quite like it.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a bottle yesterday for $125. There was one more on the shelf. I haven't cracked it yet, but since I always have some sort of WT product open at any given time, I am hopeful that I will like it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm suprised how good this was, given the low ABV. I  would love to pick some up, but the price tag is rough for 86 proof...which I know is a super contradictory statement, but....it is what it is. Great to try, but can't endorse a purchase.

I'll take some Old No 8 any day :)

8 hours ago, humchan2k said:

I'm suprised how good this was, given the low ABV. I  would love to pick some up, but the price tag is rough for 86 proof...which I know is a super contradictory statement, but....it is what it is. Great to try, but can't endorse a purchase.

I'll take some Old No 8 any day :)

Just remember that the water has also been aged for 17 years as well since no water was added, unlike a whiskey that is diluted at bottling. So that water is getting some lovely barrel aging as well! That gives the whiskey a nice richness of flavor and full mouthfeel in my opinion.

Still, I agree it seems pricey for a low proof bourbon.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I don't really understand what the proof has to do with it. Especially in this case since it can't be called watered down

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2016, 11:00:12, b1gcountry said:

I don't really understand what the proof has to do with it. Especially in this case since it can't be called watered down

As I ponder the relationships between price, age, proof, appearance, availability, etc. I arrive at some interesting theories.  I have been meaning to plot (yes, I'm an engineer) the correlation between these factors for existing bottlings just to see where the trends lie.  For instance, on a price vs. age plot, any whiskey that lies below the major trend could be considered a good value for the age.  Similarly with proof.  Appearance (bottle design, marketing, etc.) and availability would be a little more abstract but interesting.

What I came here to say though was I agree, for Master's Keep I don't think the normal price/proof trend applies.  When you're looking for a sub $30 bottle of bourbon, the WT101 may seem a better value than, say, an NDP that is the same price or a bit more at 86 proof.  I think for Master's Keep, in the "ultra premium" range, proof really shouldn't be a driver anymore.  Anything that expensive should stand on the merits of taste alone, independent of the other parameters.  In this case, WTMK is helped by the fact that it is one of the oldest releases from Wild Turkey and has a unique aging history.

Jason

JP, good point. I love this bourbon, you have to buy one and try it. I have bought 4 of them, it's worth it to me. 

I enjoyed mine, which is long been consumed, and have 2 more in the bunker.  These are still on the shelves in many stores around Chicagoland

Sipping on this again this evening, and I continue to really enjoy it.  Its thick mouthfeel is once more very impressive, and shows why as it globs onto the walls of my glass.  And, I'm getting a delicious sweet cherry coke undertone with it tonight.  

33 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Sipping on this again this evening, and I continue to really enjoy it.  Its thick mouthfeel is once more very impressive, and shows why as it globs onto the walls of my glass.  And, I'm getting a delicious sweet cherry coke undertone with it tonight.  

I need to remind myself to be careful when reading your posts because whenever you provide a tasting report, it makes me want to go out and buy whatever it is you're liking :D(assuming I don't have it already). This is a case where I don't have it yet. :wacko: But it continues to sit on shelves around here. :unsure: My wallet is going to be lighter soon. Thanks Joe! :lol:

Exactly. I have been passing on this, but "sweet cherry Coke" may sway me to purchasing one. 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I need to remind myself to be careful when reading your posts because whenever you provide a tasting report, it makes me want to go out and buy whatever it is you're liking :D(assuming I don't have it already). This is a case where I don't have it yet. :wacko: But it continues to sit on shelves around here. :unsure: My wallet is going to be lighter soon. Thanks Joe! :lol:

Ha!  I'm glad to be of service on helping to put your dollars to work!  :D

The thing that piqued my interest in this whiskey from the beginning was the wildly low proof out of the barrel.   I am thinking that this attributes to the thick mouthfeel and thick viscosity of it.  The cherry coke note is something that I have noticed in previous tastings, but I couldn't put my finger on it until tonight.  Then, like in many whiskey experiences.... BOOM!  There it is!!!Really nice stuff, to me.

The other thing that I find enjoyable in it, is that for a bourbon with 17 years under its belt, I don't find it overly woody.  Really only asserts itself on the finish.

Joe, it's good and you are right it is definitely not overly woody.  Again, I just wish it were $80-$100 instead of $150.  But I guess the price tag is part of what is keeping it on the shelves and allows others (who what to spend) find it.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎23‎:‎42‎, meadeweber said:

Joe, it's good and you are right it is definitely not overly woody.  Again, I just wish it were $80-$100 instead of $150.  But I guess the price tag is part of what is keeping it on the shelves and allows others (who what to spend) find it.

$100 would be nice but I think I would find it more tolerable even at about $120 than $150 given the way prices are today. That said I bought several when I found it closer to $135-140 and don't regret them.

• 1 month later...

Grabbed a bottle of this in late December...didn't last long haha.  I will buy again for sure at $125.

One of my locals has it for 105$

Having an open bottle and one in reserve I think I may be set, but having said that I think it a good time to re-examine the juice for thoughts of grabbing another 'for later'

Wish I had stocked up a little more on Booker's 25th. That one at 100$ was more worth it I think

1 hour ago, RWBadley said:

Wish I had stocked up a little more on Booker's 25th. That one at 100$ was more worth it I think

In today's market, $100 for Booker's 25th seems perfectly reasonable (to most people). Back then, it seemed pretty outrageous. 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

In today's market, $100 for Booker's 25th seems perfectly reasonable (to most people). Back then, it seemed pretty outrageous. 

Just wait until the Booker's rye hits. Based on reports so far we will then know what outrageous really is!

I'm still passing on 2 of these, but I think I'll be giving in soon. 

• 2 months later...

Am I the only one that thinks this tastes like a shitty scotch? Maybe i just brushed my teeth or something before I drank it last time but I took one sip and its been sitting in the cabinet untouched ever since. 

I think I'll go revisit it now after reading some of these reviews. For some reason, I'm afraid my opinion won't change though 

1 hour ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Am I the only one that thinks this tastes like a shitty scotch? Maybe i just brushed my teeth or something before I drank it last time but I took one sip and its been sitting in the cabinet untouched ever since. 

I think I'll go revisit it now after reading some of these reviews. For some reason, I'm afraid my opinion won't change though 

I'd give it another shot.  I think my bottle really started singing after it was open and near half full---probably 2 months.

14 hours ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

My sense so far is that yes, you are the only one.

Everything isn't for everyone though so that's ok.  Especially since it means there is more for me!

23 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

I'd give it another shot.  I think my bottle really started singing after it was open and near half full---probably 2 months.

Tried another pour tonight. You were correct, I think my palate was just kinda funky that day.

It's not on the top of my list by any means, and i think it's outrageous for the crazy price, but it's nothing like what I tasted the first time.

im still learning how to refine my pallet I guess

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.