Fitz 20 year old?

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Count me as another one that would like to see a lot more offerings in 375s.

Maybe not so much for the really limited stuff but it would be nice for the majority of items. I keep thinking that having all 10 receipes in 375 would be amazing. They would make amazing stocking stuffers, gifts, etc.

Some very interesting history here Michael, thanks for posting!!

• 2 months later...
I heard today that MSRP is $300.

$300 for a 375ml? I can't wait to see how many millions of dollars it goes for on the secondary.

$300 for a 375ml? I can't wait to see how many millions of dollars it goes for on the secondary.

Ha!

I'll just add that the suggested retail price number came from the distributor, and may not be reflective of HH's intended price point.

But, if it were my booze...I'd be somewhere around there...:D

read mention of that price from the ABC system in NC which I believe sells things at state minimum prices. i have a feeling the price is legit.

can't really blame them. HH is looking at the secondary seeing SW bottles younger than this going for more than that price. they are just leaving money on the table. this release is really aimed at the enthusiast / collector market anyway, it's not like they are going to piss off the EC12 crowd.

I expected a crazy price, but I was thinking maybe $200. More power to HH for realizing there's people win more money than sense.

I expected a crazy price, but I was thinking maybe $200. More power to HH for realizing there's people win more money than sense.

I would take the sense part out of it, because it's just money, and that's all relative to the individual. But, your point is well taken. Personally, I cannot justify that price point in my whiskey budget. However, I don't think it's necessarily out of line and I hope they sell every bottle.

So I stopped in a local ABC store today and had a friendly discussion with the manager about some of the fall releases and what they would be getting (or in this case, not getting). Some how this bottling came up in conversation and I found two pieces for information interesting. First the whole state of North Carolina was to receive 30 cases with three 375ml bottles to a case. In order for an ABC store to get a case, they had to be sold in advance or it would not be shipped from the state warehouse. Secondly, and most importantly, they are costing folks $299.99 per bottle. Now I am all for making an extra buck or two, but come on! As I told the store manager, I would maybe consider paying that price if it was a 750ml bottle but no chance in hell I am going to spring for that in a 375ml. And yes, their case was already spoken for by bourbon lovers with "deep pockets". Some times I just have to laugh at the craziness taking hold in the bourbon world these days.

Bwahhhhh???? WTF??? 300 for a half bottle?

And thus, as history will surely note, marked the end of the bourbon boom as it slipped into a slow, sustainable growth.

So I stopped in a local ABC store today and had a friendly discussion with the manager about some of the fall releases and what they would be getting (or in this case, not getting). Some how this bottling came up in conversation and I found two pieces for information interesting. First the whole state of North Carolina was to receive 30 cases with three 375ml bottles to a case. In order for an ABC store to get a case, they had to be sold in advance or it would not be shipped from the state warehouse. Secondly, and most importantly, they are costing folks $299.99 per bottle. Now I am all for making an extra buck or two, but come on! As I told the store manager, I would maybe consider paying that price if it was a 750ml bottle but no chance in hell I am going to spring for that in a 375ml. And yes, their case was already spoken for by bourbon lovers with "deep pockets". Some times I just have to laugh at the craziness taking hold in the bourbon world these days.

Stupidity at its finest.

Seems likely to me that many of these are going to be bought by investors/flippers. And there have been a lot of crazy things people are willing to invest in when all they see are dollar signs. The whiskey may be wonderful but I will probably never know. So it would not hurt my feelings in the least if the market collapsed on them. Unfortunately it probably won't at this point.

Not that I would want to see the bubble as a whole suddenly burst given how it would likely hurt the industry pretty badly. But if this particular bottle didn't develop a huge secondary following and the "investors "lost their money well that would just be terrible...

• 2 months later...

I'll chime in by saying it's out of my price range but would love to taste it for sure. Just because it's out of my range doesn't mean those lucky enough to afford it are "crazy" or have no "sense". I have friends that think spending $50 on bourbon is over the top. 10 years ago a lot of people said you were crazy to spend $100 for for a bottle, but I'm damn glad that I did. More power to you if this is in your price range and happy drinking!

I'll chime in by saying it's out of my price range but would love to taste it for sure. Just because it's out of my range doesn't mean those lucky enough to afford it are "crazy" or have no "sense". I have friends that think spending $50 on bourbon is over the top. 10 years ago a lot of people said you were crazy to spend $100 for for a bottle, but I'm damn glad that I did. More power to you if this is in your price range and happy drinking!

...and this one is around $50 *per pour* if you buy a bottle! That's some very special occasion stuff.

I agree. There are lots of people that have the means to buy this bourbon. Just because I'm not one of them I'm not going to put them down.

...and this one is around $50 *per pour* if you buy a bottle! That's some very special occasion stuff.

There is a restaurant here in town charging $100 for a pour and have already sold at least 3 pours which of course paid for the bottle. Now everything is just profit. Must be nice.

As someone who will never come near this stuff (I'd have trouble justifying $300 on a bottle of 15yr. Pappy, much less a 375ml bottle of 90 proof bourbon trading on its heritage), I still think this is a pretty cool idea. I won't be one of the guys paying $100 for a pour anytime soon, but the opportunity to taste/own a piece of S-W history is kind of cool, even if the bourbon itself is getting wildly different reviews.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.