Fitz 20 year old?

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 hours ago, $helby said:

I had the opportunity to purchase a couple of half pour of Fitz 20 Saturday night during a friend's birthday dinner in NC. Since bottle was almost empty, the bar mgr divided the last half ounce into our glasses.   We both thought it was very good but agreed not worth the money.   Glad I passed up a bottle at VABC two months ago.   I did ask about the empty bottle, but state law in NC requires them to destroy.   Best they could do was let me take pictures.   We also tried several other hard to find bourbons at much more reasonable prices.   

image.jpeg

Huh, that's a shame. I guess you've made me feel a little better, though; I've been kicking myself for not asking for the bottle of JPS 18 (Stitzel Weller) that I finished off while visiting my brother in NC. Sounds like it wouldn't have happened either way.

Back to the Fitz, I wouldn't pay $300 for a 375ml bottle of anything (especially because I'm not sure my palate would appreciate it enough at this point in my bourbon-drinking career), but I certainly hope to have a pour of this stuff somewhere, sometime. Nice to drink a bit of history!

I certainly agree with drinking a bit of history.  The first time I tasted Old Fitzgerald was back in the 60s when Pappy was alive and still a presence at the Stitzel-Weller distillery.  I believe family records show (along with Pappy's personal letters) that the owner of the place favored the 6 year old Bottled in Bond Old Fitzgerald as his choice and of course he could've had any of the older stuff in the warehouse.  In his later years in semi retirement when doctors limited his cocktails Pappy went to the 7/107 cause if you could only have one drink a day make it a stout one.

Frankly, 20+ years ago when all the Van Winkles were still on the shelf (and the 12 yr Old Fitz commonly found as a dusty) my pick of the bunch was the 10/107.  Still, as now, most Bourbon customers preferred rye recipe Bourbons over wheated ones. 

Why the shift?  Well, palates haven't changed but perceptions have and in our modern information age anyone can do a bit of research and become "knowledgeable" about Bourbons, Single Malts, Cognac, aged rum or any other spirit without actually having sampled much of any of them.  Just the nature of things, those who want  and can afford "the best" will follow the accepted perception of what's "top shelf".   Nothing wrong with that, I want the majors to make tons of money off the limited editions so they can keep supplying me with good enough BIBs and similar stuff that still fly under the radar.

I don't think one needs to develop a palate beyond the appreciation level to approach an expensive bottle of Bourbon.  I've been drinking Kentucky's finest for more than 50 years now and can honestly say my tastes haven't altered much beyond what I liked 40 years ago.  Well, Old Forester BIB isn't what it was, I can say that for certain.  Old Grand Dad hasn't changed much though regular use might've inured me to subtle changes in it's character over the years.

My first wife liked Rieslings and her discerning palate could tell whether it was from the Moselle region.  She didn't care for any red wine though no matter where it came from or how much the damn bottle cost.  

So as we go down the Bourbon road we learn what matters is where  our individual palate leads.  I like rye recipe Bourbons.  If my host pours me a glass of Pappy 20 I will graciously accept the offer of what he believes is the good stuff without commenting it's a bit woody for my tastes or that I would really prefer Rock Hill Farms. 

Edited by squire

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2016, 10:36:18, squire said:

So as we go down the Bourbon road we learn what matters is where  our individual palate leads.  I like rye recipe Bourbons.  If my host pours me a glass of Pappy 20 I will graciously accept the offer of what he believes is the good stuff without commenting it's a bit woody for my tastes or that I would really prefer Rock Hill Farms. 

You know, Squire, you really hit something here. In the old days, people drank 90 to 100 proof bourbon as their regular, and something like a 10/107 Old Fitz or Weller was - for a good many people - a special occasion drink to savor when called for. But there are instant experts today who will mortgage everything they have to get bottles of Pappy, because only the very best will do and look at how much it sells for!....and in those crowds, when someone announces that they drink Evan Williams or OGD or even Wild Turkey or Makers, you can feel the room go silent. 

I mean, that's conjecture on my part since I don't hang out in those crowds. :) But it's gotta be there. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.