2015 btac

KyleCBreese
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On Friday the 13th, I dropped into a Specs, and they had a Handy on the shelf. I'm guessing it's this years' at 126.9 proof. So Friday the 13th turned out to be lucky for me.

My big box store in Central FL hasn't received theirs yet.

Total wine in Orlando got theirs and is gone, as well as ABC Liquor but they are holding it for their lottery.

Other total wines will be getting it within the next 2-3 weeks depending on their shipment schedule.

The PA lottery apparently had about 3,500 entries for each BTAC which was a much lower number than I would have assumed. While that certainly shows there is more demand than supply (not to mention that each of those 3500 would buy more than one bottle if they could) it highlights that overall it is still a niche.

West TN just got ours last week, and Sazerac was the only one my local got. Asked for ER 17, no luck and the distributor was looking for a WLW.

I got my AE Cask Strength this week.

Got one of this year's WLW from my local ABCFWS [emoji106]? who apparently got a few bottles outside of their Limited Bourbon Lottery.

Received my first GTS today. Most expensive bourbon I've ever bought. 
WAY better than the jr. But not the best bourbon I've had.
I think I've had one or two Booker's and a single Noah's Mill that outdid it.
And it certainly didn't beat FRSmB'15, which were just below half the price
of the GTS.
That being said, it's still a good bourbon and it has that creamy texture
that I love in mature barrel strengths.
I'll give it some time to grow on me, and be happy that I got to
experience it.

One of my local pubs has GTS. $12 for a very generous pour. I know where I'll be hanging out until it's gone :P

The only item that my local got was the Sazerac. Not my preference, he still has a bottle of the Sazerac BTAC from last year.

He usually always gets me a bottle of the ER, bot not a chance this year around here. West TN gets the last bit of what makes it to TN

I haven't looked at a lot of reviews from this year. Has there been a standout from the bunch? I know this is the last year for the tanked Saz18, which could make it the most desirable.

1 hour ago, KyleCBreese said:

I haven't looked at a lot of reviews from this year. Has there been a standout from the bunch? I know this is the last year for the tanked Saz18, which could make it the most desirable.

Based on bottle estimates here: http://www.breakingbourbon.com/buffalo-trace-antique-collection-2015-factsheet.html

Looks like ER had the fewest bottles this year, so that might make it the hardest to find at least. I recall someone over on reddit saying they were really liking the WLW from this year over last years release of it.

On November 30, 2015 at 12:48:19 PM, gusto16 said:

Got one of this year's WLW from my local ABCFWS  who apparently got a few bottles outside of their Limited Bourbon Lottery.

So my local big box store got in their BTAC shipment yesterday and I was able to procure a GTS, Saz 18, and a THH all at $79.99 a piece... the aforementioned WLW was $69.99

4 out of 5, not too shabby... a personal best. :D

Next year I'll finally get a George T Stagg, the flavour notes on this one seems right up my alley. I need to find a local place where I can try this.

• 2 weeks later...

A local place had WLW for $7 a pour ($9 neat) due to a pricing error for a couple days. Needless to say I rushed over. Probably some of the best money I've ever spent on bourbon.

20 hours ago, Sean Bond said:

A local place had WLW for $7 a pour ($9 neat) due to a pricing error for a couple days. Needless to say I rushed over. Probably some of the best money I've ever spent on bourbon.

Indeed

On December 9, 2015 at 11:46:10 PM, yountvillewjs said:

I really wanted a btl of 15 4R LESmB, got a btl of THH instead. Traded THH for 15SmB, win!

I was thinking of doing this also, but after tasting a small pour of the THH at a local bar, I'm not willing to let mine go.

On December 30, 2015 at 7:49:40 AM, gusto16 said:

I was thinking of doing this also, but after tasting a small pour of the THH at a local bar, I'm not willing to let mine go.

I've had both, and they're both excellent. I might give the nod to the 4R (being a member of the cult) myself, but you can't go wrong either way.

I just found a bottle of G.T. Stagg on the shelf of a local store.  For $850.  Next to a $250 Elijah Craig 18.  Had a good chuckle and left.  I didn't even check the proof on the Stagg to see if it's this year's, but if it is, then the new distributor is getting them to the shelves faster than the old one did.

• 3 weeks later...

My thought about this hobby have changed throughout the year.

I'm thankful for the bourbon boom. It has led me to trying great whiskey from the BTAC.

All I can say is the GTS, WLW, & Saz18 from 2015 are more than stellar.

I know the Saz18 from 2015 was tanked, but some say the flavor changed. The GTS & WLW were fresh batches!

Can some of the veterans on this forum give some input on how 2015 compared to years past?

Thanks, Jeff

Edited by Louisiana

7 hours ago, Louisiana said:

My thought about this hobby have changed throughout the year.

I'm thankful for the bourbon boom. It has led me to trying great whiskey from the BTAC.

All I can say is the GTS, WLW, & Saz18 from 2015 are more than stellar.

I know the Saz18 from 2015 was tanked, but some say the flavor changed. The GTS & WLW were fresh batches!

Can some of the veterans on this forum give some input on how 2015 compared to years past?

Thanks, Jeff

This website is your best bet for comparison throughout the years.

http://www.lawhiskeysociety.com/

• 1 month later...

I had a chance to go to a full 2015 BTAC tasting this past weekend. It was a great experience and here were my thoughts.

The clear winner for me was THH with Saz barely beating out GTS for second with WLW fourth and the ER17 coming in fifth.  All were excellent in my opinion but that is the order I would choose them if given the option to purchase or score at a bar. WLW had the best nose in my opinion closely followed by the Saz. The WLW was also improved in my mind with a couple drops of water and rivaled the GTS and Saz.

The consensus ranking from the 25 tasters was GTS and WLW tied for first with Saz and THH tied next and ER17 last.

It was a fantastic experience with great people!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow!   Nice one bigmzungu!    I'm sure that was one excellent tasting experience.    All are stellar to a great many palates.      I generally gravitate toward WLW or GTS most years; but absolutely would take any that came my way.

Congrats on a memorable evening, I'm sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.